Progress to 0.3.8 and beyond...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Progress to 0.3.8 and beyond...

Post by vicmarcal »

DukeNukemCZ wrote: Have Win7 Beta now
SATAII Drive, NTFS, Quadcore, HD4870X2 (Dual GPU), USB mouse, USB keyboard...
For sharp go can be any issue?
Nope any issue,you have a really good PC to run a Virtual Machine(VMware,vbox,qemu,kqemu,virtualPC or all of them at the same time).
DukeNukemCZ wrote: Last time i was tryed from WMware (back on Vista) but there was some ugly graphical issue.
Im using VMware as you in Vista,It works perfect.Download the 1.*.* version. 2.*.* isnt recommended (imho)

DukeNukemCZ wrote: true is i was expecting less moronical answer, like you can do if you are tester ;)
First im expecting to find what "moronical" means(It doesnt appear in Collins,neither in Wordreference,neither in UrbanDictionary) ;)
Second, if a Tester have time to make screenshot then there are 2 options:
-He isnt a Tester.
-He doesnt have any idea what Testing work means.

BTW, "Users" should be the ones who makes the screenshots. Of course I can do them,but if i have to choose between testing 0.3.8 pre-release to release it ASAP or begin doing screenshots...my decission is obvious.
In other words, i can spend my time developing patches for Reactos,make regression test to make Developers life a little bit easier(as SDL games bug solved by Piggles),or retesting 807 bugs in our Bugzilla to check if they are still present or solved, OR making beatiful screenshots instead,which could be done by low skilled Users.

BTW,which is the task of "Users"?I think it was installing Apps and showing us how they work.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

There are no "users" yet, only more or less skilled testers. :)
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

New screenshots would be nice, though I'd recommend that any new images show working programs that couldn't run before. Otherwise, all they're really saying is "Check this out! The Start Menu bitmap looks very slightly different!"
DukeNukemCZ

Post by DukeNukemCZ »

vicmarcal wrote:
DukeNukemCZ wrote: true is i was expecting less moronical answer, like you can do if you are tester ;)
First im expecting to find what "moronical" means(It doesnt appear in Collins,neither in Wordreference,neither in UrbanDictionary) ;)
Second, if a Tester have time to make screenshot then there are 2 options:
-He isnt a Tester.
-He doesnt have any idea what Testing work means.

BTW, "Users" should be the ones who makes the screenshots. Of course I can do them,but if i have to choose between testing 0.3.8 pre-release to release it ASAP or begin doing screenshots...my decission is obvious.
In other words, i can spend my time developing patches for Reactos,make regression test to make Developers life a little bit easier(as SDL games bug solved by Piggles),or retesting 807 bugs in our Bugzilla to check if they are still present or solved, OR making beatiful screenshots instead,which could be done by low skilled Users.

BTW,which is the task of "Users"?I think it was installing Apps and showing us how they work.
Sorry it was mean like "moron"= moronic, moronical i have heard in some movie so its maybe not official word or so...

Why tester dont take screenshots? im game developer (in some term) and if i testing project i take screens with bugs, or is something new working i make screens too...

i agree with Black_Fox, i dont think there are ReactOS users but testers only, yet. So if testers testing aplications too, they can do little for rest of community and hit "PrintScreen" :)
So i hope this time will be some new screens added.
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

BOT_ev wrote:
[ros-dev] 0.3.8 Test Season has started :-)

show details 1:57 AM (10 hours ago)

It's now again the time for application testing. Therefore I uploaded Boot
CD and Live CD of the current branch to http://reactos.colinfinck.de/
Please test them, especially with the applications in Downloader, and write
your results to http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/Tests_for_0.3.8

Colin
So be cool, 0.3.8 is coming.
All I have to say is Hell ya it works in virtule PC 2007 sp1 finaly. Its slugish but that is expected. so hopefuly when 0.4.x comes out it will be some what faster in VP2007.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Minor off-topic:
DukeNukemCZ wrote:Sorry it was mean like "moron"= moronic, moronical i have heard in some movie so its maybe not official word or so...
Moron, moronic and moronical are all words, I believe, though they're all rather more offensive than you seem to think that they are. I'd avoid using them in order to avert a flamewar before it begins.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I´m sure he didnt say in an offensive way,that´s why i didnt bit his leg until reach the bone ;)...moronical doesnt exist (Collins says) but yes moron and moronic ;)..now at least i can understand the adjetive ;)
Most of the time testers are testing bugs related to the own OS,or apps which arent working so...if they arent working no screenshot is available ;)...anyways there are few real testers in IRC and have a lot of work now ;).Time to test odd things ;).Noone are apps ;)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You dont need screenshots if you provide proper and confirmed way of bug replication. Without such, no screenshot is gonna help you solve the bug. With it, you can see the bug yourself.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Screenshots are here meant as those to put into gallery.
nute

Post by nute »

If it's 1:05 PM in Portland, it must be 10:05 am in Germany and even later in Russia. So, assuming the developers are awake right now, what is happening
in the efforts to get 0.3.8 out? January is close to over. I realize that January is the earliest possible completion date for 0.3.8.

There have definitely been some improvements since 0.3.7 came out, but what will 0.3.8 bring? When will 0.4.0 come out? When could 0.5.0 come out?
When will a new roadmap projecting the possible release date for 0.5.0 go up?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Many graphics bugs were fixed as you know.

How many times should we repeat that there is no roadmap? Look at GCC, how many developers work on it, how many companies support it. Still there are release delays, still there are a lot of bugs remain unfixed for years. An operating system is no simpler then a compiler, it is more complex beast indeed.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

nute wrote:If it's 1:05 PM in Portland, it must be 10:05 am in Germany and even later in Russia. So, assuming the developers are awake right now, what is happening
in the efforts to get 0.3.8 out? January is close to over. I realize that January is the earliest possible completion date for 0.3.8.

There have definitely been some improvements since 0.3.7 came out, but what will 0.3.8 bring? When will 0.4.0 come out? When could 0.5.0 come out?
When will a new roadmap projecting the possible release date for 0.5.0 go up?
stop being so impatient and go out and get a real life. come back later when we have something to show for it.
Ganimoth

Post by Ganimoth »

I don 't know why people are so impatient, and they probably run it just for a while, and then shut it down and scream for next version.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

As to questions about a roadmap, perhaps nute should consider that there are currently too few developers working on the project to justify any planning whatsoever. As such, everybody is really just slacking around committing things as they see fit. Bring us more developers, and then we'll talk.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

As far as I'm aware of, there never was a serious rush to get 0.3.8 out before the end of January. Certainly no one is going to lose any sleep trying to get it out before February comes around. And if you want to see what changed in 0.3.8, then go look at the changelog.

As for your other questions, same answer as always, which is we don't know. And that answer isn't going to change until we decide to make a formal announcement about it. Until that time, no matter how often you ask, you will not get an answer. And no, we also don't have a date for when we're likely to make that formal announcement. It comes when it comes.