In what ways will ReactOS change the IT industry in the fut?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Witch

In what ways will ReactOS change the IT industry in the fut?

Post by Witch »

• * In what ways will ReactOS change the IT industry in the future?
    * How can it help the world financially when it's finished?
By these questions I mean from the perspective of a person within the IT industry today. My only experience of the good and the bad regarding Microsoft's dominance can only be expressed from a consumer perspective. Which isn't really the kind of arguments I'm searching for. Consumer perspective is irrelevant to my work.

I would like to collect some Pro and Con arguments of how ReactOS would affect the IT industry when it becomes a finished stable product. Help me get started or point me to blogs that discuss about this regarding how ReactOS will affect the IT industry in the future?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll sort things up with a Wiki page when I have the time to play with it!

Index

Pro arguments collection
1.) MS qualified tech support persons will be able to deal with ReactOS.
2.) encourage more open-source applications to be written for Windows.
3.) opens up the internals for anyone who wants to learn about the architecture, or see what exactly a kernel routine does internally.
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 855#p53798

Con arguments collection
1.)
I didn't really understand EmuandCo's explanation there but it sounded like an important Con argument to think about. Maybe he coul'd elaborate a little in here?!

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 915#p48371
Even Ballmer could "win". If a noob buys a PC with Vista, he will probably stay on it anyway. If someone needs professional support, which a FOSS OS cant offer, like for Commercial Servers, they still would have their ppl around them. The only ones who might vanish are the ones like we are. The ones who like Windows NT and its internals, the easy way to set it up and keep it run, but dont like the way MS implements and especially sells it overpriced.
2.)
Last edited by Witch on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Blackcrack

Re: In what ways could ReactOS change the IT industry?

Post by Blackcrack »

hihi, transparent Metall.. *bg* good old Scotty :D

Hy my Dear :)

that it is the one, to be i am only a lil' light, there mus Heis Spiter, EmuandCo and other Developer get comments.. i know, why i stay behind reactos, but they Developers and Moderators be the one on this step who shold say any what.. to get clear words why and for what.. so i think imho..

:\

best Regards
Blacky
Witch

Re: In what ways could ReactOS change the IT industry?

Post by Witch »

Either way will make me happy.
Blackcrack

Re: In what ways will ReactOS change the IT industry in the fut?

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy VS,

that's an magical word Sweathart... you have make an NDiswapper for wireless ?
it is this in svn too ? I think it is not bad to tell it to others, or not ?
Why not an wireless NDiswapper direckt including in Reactos ?
the most of things running with wireless.. also :D
It is wrote the NDiswapper totaly by you , make by self ?

best Regards
Blacky

p.s.: no question, it's a question too, so i think... and i think it will be namend" Wait, it will come if it's come, and it will come, deffently... no big cost solution and the support will take the facorys by self and cooperating with other factorys and send the paches to Reactos to have fast, flexibility and effizent patch/problemsolutions by cooperating... " so i think..
silverblade
Developer

Post by silverblade »

Regarding the only "con" point currently quoted, do not forget that there are many hosting companies who use Linux on their servers, Linux itself does not come with support, yet many distros come with some form of support. Technically it should be possible for an MS qualified person to deal with a ReactOS system eventually, I guess.

How will ReactOS change the IT industry in the future? Allowing more choice for users who want to are comfortable using Windows, don't want to use Linux but don't want to have to pay so much money to be able to run Windows applications.

It should hopefully also encourage more open-source applications to be written for Windows.

And it also opens up the internals for anyone who wants to learn about the architecture, or see what exactly a kernel routine does internally.
Andrew / Silver Blade

[ external image ]
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

*I am very pleased*

Hy Silverblade :D,

ah next question *smile*
she had wrote an NDISwapper, whant be included if she whant ?

http://www.virtualseafarer.com/witch/nd ... index.html

best regards
Blacky
silverblade
Developer

Post by silverblade »

NDIS Wrapper looks like a Linux utility for loading Windows wireless device drivers.
I'm not sure what relevance that has to the thread?
Andrew / Silver Blade

[ external image ]
Witch

Post by Witch »

Hello Blackcrack I was brought up by the Ubuntuforums community and most of the stuff on my website was used to help newbies from that community with simple troubleshooting stuff. Even though most of it is outdated today and poorly presented I still find it useful to myself when I don't remember howto do certain stuff.

That's the drawback with Linux I feel, even when you've become used to it you have to remember a lot of quirky CLI combinations in order to fix things like printers, scanners, side-Mouse-buttons and Wireless devices.

I haven't been able to put the proper effort in cleaning up my site so sorry about that if it offends you. I just use it as a personal notepad for all sorts of things in my life. When dementia now and then strikes my memories. With Linux you have to remember a lot of weird info. :)
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy Silverblade. Hy Witch :D

oky Ag :D thy :D

Aso, i see what you mean *bg* it's no problem, it' your page *biggrin* i take my page there for too,
but more "into <!--html-code--> if need" on blackysgate.de or as blackysgate.de/files or my ~.dyndns.org/~blackcrack/files , ~.dyndns.org/~blackcrack/bilder and so on, the php-filemirror
i had make it by self for secure get easyly files outside :
http://blackysgate.dyndns.org/~blackcra ... ileMirror/
to easy copy some files outside to have a gui per php to administration with ssh/telnet
however,
try for reply andwhant be nice to see a lil' updatet HP Sweaty :)
Maby with a Reactos-Emblem on it *vbg* i mus change my page too...
the Linux-menu, change to Reactos menu.. but i think i let the Penguin
at the startpage.. i work even with linux too ;)

best regards
Blacky