windows 7 beta

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MadWolf

windows 7 beta

Post by MadWolf »

hi all
anyone tried windows 7 beta ?? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nload.aspx what do you think of windows 7
tomleem

Re: windows 7 beta

Post by tomleem »

I have downloaded it but have not tried it yet. One is suppose to be able to install on a netbook but only if it has 16 gigbabyte drive space at 1 gigabyte of ram. I am looking for an affordable usb dvd drive to see if it will install on my EEE PC with 1 gig ram and 32 gig ssd. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

I signed up and got a CD key. Then the Download button didn't work. After 15 minutes of trying, I gave up.

To add insult to injury, I signed into my Gmail account to see THANKS FOR HELPING US TEST WINDOWS 7 and WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE WINDOWS 7 EXPERIENCE SO FAR? at the top of my inbox.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Used workaround to get it. I like smaller memory footprint and improved sidebar.
Heis Spiter

Post by Heis Spiter »

I tested it, and I'm still testing it.

I really like this OS. It's really better than Vista.
Pierre Schweitzer (aka Heis Spiter)
ReactOS kernel developer.
ReactOS systems administrator.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I use it as main OS now. On my Laptop and Home PC. A wonderful OS
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Let´s see...it still is eating a lot of memory.Of course laptop now can run better 7 than Vista but just because our laptop has 3 gigas now, and when Vista appears laptop was having just 1-2. 7 seems a Vista fixed. 7 is still consuming more than 500 MB ram.
But it´s still eating too much memory imho. I still dont understand why the big jump in Ram consumption between XP and 7.I dont understand where those morethan 256 MB ram extra are being used in.

7 is going to fail again.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That's like saying you don't understand why Linux distros today use much more memory than they did in 2001, when XP was released, thus all Linux distros must also fail.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

vicmarcal wrote:7 seems a Vista fixed.
I still dont understand why the big jump in Ram consumption between XP and 7.I dont understand where those morethan 256 MB ram extra are being used in.

7 is going to fail again.
Why do people who have no understanding of what they are talking about always seem to comment, esspecially if it involves bashing Microsoft ....
RobertoAlbano

Post by RobertoAlbano »

Better than Windows Vista, good Os :)
ReactOs: 0.3.9 LiveCD
Ram: 2 Gb
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.60 GHz
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

XP sucks nowadays, it can only use 3,5 GB RAM, doesn't include DirectX 10 and cannot take advantage of more than 2 cores (and XP 64-bit isn't an answer for its lack of drivers). I have it on my older desktop, though, newer is occupied by Vista x64 and I can't complain. Looking forward to 7.
The123king

Post by The123king »

I might upgrade to windows 7 from XP when it comes outin production, depending on the verdict from the public.

Personally i'd like to see an updated internals for XP really. I think MS made XP too good and too easy to use so everyone will stick to XP instead of upgrading to vista or Windows 7.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Z98 wrote:That's like saying you don't understand why Linux distros today use much more memory than they did in 2001, when XP was released, thus all Linux distros must also fail.
I havent seen any distro eating 500 Mb Ram yet. ;)and you z98?.
Of course each year and each OS will eat more RAM than the previous,but 500MB is too much.7 is also,nowadays, a Beta,with some Services not running yet,so this 500MB is going to be more in Final Release:Approaching dangerously to the Vista´s 700MB.

When Microsoft said 7 will run better than Vista in our Pcs/Laptops I thought it was going to decrease really RAM consumption, which seems (i wanna be wrong)isnt going to happen..

And yes,Linux distros ARE failing.But not because RAM but because concept.They are trying to arrive to all users but normal/basic users arent following them.Distros must ask why:beggining with their GUI concept.
Ged wrote:Why do people who have no understanding of what they are talking about always seem to comment, esspecially if it involves bashing Microsoft ....

I dont have any special hate to Microsoft.I´m not a Linux fanboy.
But,really, i dont understand a OS which is slower than XP and consuming more resources: If it consumes more resouces(all that the OS needs) why is it slower than XP in the same PC?

Saying "7 is going to fail" isnt a free statement.I said before Vista appears.And i´m saying again:

When an OS wins/fails? The OS real market are the companies(no Home Users).An OS WINS when the companies buy the OS licence to install it in the PCs they have(substituting other OS installed in them:i.e XP/Vista).
Of course 7 is going to sell licences(since all the new PCs are going to have it installed),but this licences number cant be used to decide if 7 WINs/FAILs (as Microsoft did,sorry but he did, with Vista:counting each new PCs licences as a Winner point.Of course he didnt discount the 40% downgrades to XP of those PCs).
And why the companies arent going to change their Xp PC ?Because Xp pcs gives to the companies all they need.Companies doesnt need a more comfortable GUI,neither a more good-lucking GUI. Maybe Home Users,but not Companies.And Companies (as you know) are the ones which pays licences.
If Microsoft wants to WIN,they must change drastically the OS concept as they are doing with Cloud computing (or any other new concept).

Ged maybe you can teach me a lot of things about DeadLocks,Kernerl,GDI32,Subsystems(as Posix),memory manager,round robin,or any of the Windows Internals 4th Edition(and 5th)(maybe also improving my English), but be sure i can teach you a lot about Commercial and Bussinness Trade ;).

BTW,your answer isnt useful at all,and you dont know anything about me to say: "who have no understanding of what they are talking about".
Seem i have pissed off a Windows fanboy ;)

Black_Fox wrote:XP sucks nowadays, it can only use 3,5 GB RAM, doesn't include DirectX 10 and cannot take advantage of more than 2 cores (and XP 64-bit isn't an answer for its lack of drivers). I have it on my older desktop, though, newer is occupied by Vista x64 and I can't complain. Looking forward to 7.
You are talking as a Home User. Normal Companies doesnt need PCs with 3,5 GbRAM or Directx10 or more than 2 cores(of course there are some exceptions).You can say: "Well I´m talking as a Home User...and?".My answer: Home Users dont Pay licences,dont they?This shows how Microsoft is failing about choosing the correct Market Target(is the correct Market Target the group that is going to download 7 from Torrents?)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Vicmarcal: How exactly does Linux-hater translate to Windows-fanboy? There are more OSes than these two...
There are quite a few uses for multi-core system, though I admit that DirectX 10 really isn't needed. And I HAVE paid for my license, so yes, I can have an opinion for that, even thought I am a home user that has bought "only" one license.

Newer-than-XP Windows offer more security settings, which enables me to let other users use my computer without screwing everything up... there's too many things Microsoft would have to improve in XP's internals to have the same functionality as Vista/7 and guess what, such massive patching would only produce more bugs, so I'm happy with partial rewrite that way.
silverblade
Developer

Post by silverblade »

I love the animated new startup screen.

Not too keen on the Mac-like dock taskbar. It looks a bit out of place, literally like someone saw a Mac and then shoehorned the dock into the Windows taskbar.

The idea of "libraries" is quite cool.
Andrew / Silver Blade

[ external image ]