KDE on ReactOS project

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

oiaohm

Re: KDE on ReactOS project

Post by oiaohm »

There is such thing as jumping the gun.

http://windows.kde.org is working on getting all the background libraries stable. Then applications then maybe the full blown desktop. No point getting out side that time line. Reason last thing anyone want is a unstable windows manager.
_Russell_

Re:

Post by _Russell_ »

Tsvetan wrote::evil:

mu project is good :D
its a load of crap, get over yourself
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Support the "Ban the chev" campaign today!
xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

Post by xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx »

Are you serious? KDE works in ROS?!?!?!?!?! that is SO COOL!!! is this tested & working?
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Get a grip. if it works on windows, it -will- work on ROS. it doesn't work now. and ignore the starter of this thread. as far as software development is concerned kde88 is incapable of doing anything then using the find and replace function on notepad.
xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

@ Lone_rifle
not nesseserly true, i mean most skinning apps like truetransperancy & windows blinds wont work on it (correct me if im wrong) so i didnt expect it to run kde.
The123king

Post by The123king »

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx wrote:@ Lone_rifle
not nesseserly true, i mean most skinning apps like truetransperancy & windows blinds wont work on it (correct me if im wrong) so i didnt expect it to run kde.
I literally smashed my head on the desk when you said that. Just because it doesn't work now doesn't mean it won't work later. ReactOS is ALPHA software so you shouldn't expect every Windows program in existence to run on it yet. A lot of programs alrrady do work on ROS but not all of them yet, just give it some time and they will.
xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

i was'nt suggesting that they wont work in the future, i simply said they don't now.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx wrote:@ Lone_rifle
wont work on it (correct me if im wrong)
WONT means future ;), if you wanna say in the present then you should use "isnt working now".And he correct you since you ask to be corrected.
panda84

Post by panda84 »

Hello people.

This is unrelated to the project (which looks like is not a project at all) but I tried to install KDE for Windows on React OS, as it looks like nobody even ever tried. I googled a bit but didn't found nothing relevant.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a user, not a developer.

The result is that the KDE Installer works almost fine in ReactOS, which is at least a good starting point.
I tried to run some applications but it looks like some paths are lost somewhere. The files are were they should be (same path as a working KDE Wine installation), but it looks like ReactOS doesn't really know were to look for these .dlls. In this post from the kde-windows mailing list you can find a more complete report and some screenshots too.

Anyone can give me a hint on how to tell React to look for the .dlls in the correct path?

Thanks,
Diego
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

For those that are lazy, this forms the essence of the problems:
- the programs do not start: they complain about some missing .dlls that
are correctly installed instead (I checked with the wine installation
and in reactos the files are indeed present, expect that the "windows"
folder is obviously called "reactos" or something similar). It seems
like it doesn't even try to search for them. For example KWrite
complains about 3 dlls: msvcp80.dll, QtCore4.dll and ktexteditor.dll.
The dlls are not provided by ROS by default. Were the program installers msi-based? We are having some trouble with msi where the files actually do not get copied...
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Try to put DLLs in the current directory or in system32, these places are searched for DLLs. About msvcp80.dll, is not included in ReactOS, and simple copying will not help.
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

panda84 wrote:Hello people.

This is unrelated to the project (which looks like is not a project at all) but I tried to install KDE for Windows on React OS, as it looks like nobody even ever tried. I googled a bit but didn't found nothing relevant.

Hi, I have tried in the past to run kde apps in ros but failed as well. KDE is compiled with msvc 8. That means that all KDE applications require msvcp80.dll , the runtime library for msvc 8.

This dll must be loaded using shared assemblies (from the sxs folder) , however this functionality isn't implemented in Reactos so it isn't possible to run any KDE application in Reactos yet. I have already reported this problem in bugzilla in bug 4083: http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4083

Thanks for testing
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Smiley wrote: KDE is compiled with msvc 8.
Can it be compiled with GCC?
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re:

Post by Lone_Rifle »

hto wrote:
Smiley wrote: KDE is compiled with msvc 8.
What's the point though? the official binaries are compiled with MSVC
panda84

Post by panda84 »

Well, thanks for the warm welcome! :)
The dlls are not provided by ROS by default. Were the program installers msi-based?
I'm not really expert of Windows Installers / MSI but, AFAIK the KDE Installer is full custom, as it has it own internal package management, and doesn't write anything in the Windows Registry. It is more an "emerge package manager for Windows" rather than a "typical Windows Installer". However take my words with care, these are just informations I get here and there as a user and they could be mixed up badly, or be wrong. :mrgreen:
We are having some trouble with msi where the files actually do not get copied...
As I wrote the files are actually copied in the right place: the files are where they should be (I compared the paths with a working KDE on wine install). For example the msvcp80.dll gets installed by the MSVC 2005 Redistributable installer that the KDE on Windows Installer downloads together with the packages if required (that is, I think, when it isn't already installed, when you don't have MSVC itself installed, or when you're building from sources with mingw).
For example I can correctly see msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll and msvcr80.dll in the following directory:
ReactOS/winsxs/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700
So I think the KDE Installer works fine in ReactOS.
This dll must be loaded using shared assemblies (from the sxs folder) , however this functionality isn't implemented in Reactos so it isn't possible to run any KDE application in Reactos yet. I have already reported this problem in bugzilla in bug 4083: http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4083
I see... thanks for the explanation! :)
The installer lets you choose between a "user mode" and a "developer mode". In the first case it installs directly the binary packages which are compiled with MSVC 2005; in the second case you compile from sources. If you compile from sources you can use MSVC or mingw... if someone is brave heart! :wink:

Here are build instructions for Windows:
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started ... E4/Windows