ReactOS Code LayOut for Newbie like me please...

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

fJimmoh

ReactOS Code LayOut for Newbie like me please...

Post by fJimmoh »

Well? i entered ReactOS world just few days ago. I might not be an expert but i think i can help develop ReactOS, i may help with a lot of stuff, driver, interface, application and more but im still in the sky floating. I setup all the needed software to develop ReactOS and even downloaded the Source code.

The problem im in now is that the layout of the source code. What if i want to start with ReactOS explorer? Where should i look for the code, how about when working with driver where should i put the driver?

How about Layout like this: From the source folder...
base folder -> it's for .........
boot folder -> is for the ...... thing.

Sorry if im asking to much but i want to know ReactOS from the boot code to the working application process for me to bring out all the help i could give. i Hope someone will guide me here. ^_^ Thanks a lot in advance...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: ReactOS Code LayOut for Newbie like me please...

Post by vicmarcal »

Wellcome...
Well..our reactos code is being documented little by little.. ;)..there are so much work to do...

The best way to understand how does it work is working directly in one stuff. And the best way to join us is going to IRC.And reading our Wiki.
Devs are always in the IRC,so if u have any doubt(i.e: to find explorer) then they will point u where it is...and the actual bugs that u can try to solve ;)

If u wanna code,then come to IRC ;)...that´s the best advice i can give u ;)
fJimmoh

Post by fJimmoh »

Cool, My question or request has been diverted and yet i got it answered more than enough. Thanks a lot vicmarcal.

I think it's time for me to revive my old Chat software for IRC. ^_^
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well.It has been diverted since it isnt easy to answer,or at least fast to answer.
I can point u where is CMD shell,or Explorer..but this things are easy to find(indeed for u)
Do u want to know where is explorer?Search "explorer" with ur Windows/Linux inside your downloaded tree.
(I can tell u where it is..but if u want to become a coder, be sure you will spend time discovering things by urself)
Do u want to know where is cmd?Search "cmd" with ur Windows/Linux inside your downloaded tree.
(Same)
But about general stuff...That would be a Entire Book of Reactos(Which isnt written yet)to cover all the posibilities.

That´s why i can answer u some(not all) the questions, but choose one ;)

PS:Dont be lazy with the Windows Search button ;)
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

Hi fJimmoh,
I don't really get your question. The source code layout is quite self-explanatory.
For example base is for usermode apps and serivces, include for headers, drivers for (as you could guess) drivers etc etc.
Just browse the repository a bit so you have better grasp of the layout system.

As vicmarcal said, joining IRC is always a good idea as we can chat realtime and answer most questions instantly.
fJimmoh

Post by fJimmoh »

Hello preston, sorry for twisting my question making it like a request. :lol: :lol:

Maybe im just so excited coding ReactOS, it's because after few months of search on how to dump microsoft while keeping their user friendly interface is now at my hand. The truth is i've been in linux world coding and helping develop it just to get out of Microsoft policies but now i found out that ReactOS is a much better answer for my needs.

And as a starting point i just want to learn all inside and out of the ReactOS, I need to learn from the boot process to the windows application process for me to see all pros and cons to bring out the best i could give. As of now im reading almost all forum content and after a month of research and sample coding i might come up with a code to help in developing the ReactOS.

I really love C++ code and assembly code, making me more excited learning more of ReactOS. :mrgreen:
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

So u are wellcome ;)
All the boot sequence,questions are instantly answered in IRC since all the devs are there.It´s faster to answer all ur questions...
Give also a Look to wiki main page.There are a lot of articles(How to become a tester,how to become a developer,debugging,testing,coding rules,etc....etc...)which will be useful.
Wellcome ;)
fJimmoh

Post by fJimmoh »

Thanks a lot vicmarcal ,

ill do what you say, i really need those. :lol:
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

look at : http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6355 there are some simple examples of compilable C-code using ROSBE.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Davy:
Really nice tutorial ;)

First Steps in WinAPI ;) ... why dont u wrote them in English?Would be nice to have such brilliant docu to be readable in English, that will encourage people to begin developing ;) I dont have problems to read them in Italian(since im Spanish) but most of this guys maybe cant follow it ;)

Indeed adding those to our Wiki would be so nice :D
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

THX!

:) i'm working on english translation :)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

THX U for ur time ;)...These manuals are really really apreciated(at least for me) :)...
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

i have made a simple eng-porting :) http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6366
good work Vicmarcal!
Apal

Post by Apal »

I have created some time ago a wiki page.
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/R ... _explained
it needs update though.