New reactos cd cover

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevinski

Re: New reactos cd cover

Post by kevinski »

What do you mean? The Windows flag looks like a window in flag form (assuming that we're referring to a window with four separate panes of glass). As for what would represent a reaction...I dunno. I'll agree with the other person who said that the current logo's gradients and whatnot are just too much, though. Personally, I think that it'd be kinda cool for an open-source Windows project to use a flag logo resembling, the Windows flag logo, albeit to make it look as though it's an open four-paned window.
[ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

kevinski wrote:What do you mean? The Windows flag looks like a window in flag form (assuming that we're referring to a window with four separate panes of glass). As for what would represent a reaction...I dunno. I'll agree with the other person who said that the current logo's gradients and whatnot are just too much, though. Personally, I think that it'd be kinda cool for an open-source Windows project to use a flag logo resembling, the Windows flag logo, albeit to make it look as though it's an open four-paned window.
Sad but true, a windows manual (not by microsoft I believe) used that on the cover of their book. I can't remember what company did it, but I knew it was for a younger windows OS.
Aape

Post by Aape »

Hey everybody, remember me!?
kevinski wrote:Why would there be a Blu-ray version? The day that operating systems need to be distributed on Blu-ray discs is the day that I stop upgrading. And the covers need more color, in my opinion. There's a huge problem on the Web (and in various projects) that stems from this notion that things need to be comprised of really drab colors in order to look professional.
20 years ago people said the same thing about ZIPs... Then CDs... Then with DVDs... And we see how that turned out. As computers become more sophisticated, they're able to do more complex tasks to make our lives easier. But for these computers to be used to their full potential, programmers have to code in increasingly sophisticated features, and the size of programs grow because of this. So long as the new features aren't worthless crap (*coughMSOfficecough*) and the spec requirements are within reasonable range of the average hardware (Face it, geeks are the only people who try to use 486s and complain when Firefox is too slow on it), there's no real problem. That's just how programs evolve.

Anyhow...

http://ccc543.deviantart.com/art/ReactO ... -107255547

Read the description for my thoughts on it, and again, if enough people like what they see, I'll make mock-ups for a back and inside as well.

Believe it or not, in a world where everything is a bunch of mashed-up gradients, people remember simplicity. Remember this in your future designs...

*flies off*
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

them black one, as plasic-sig behint the cd if take out to see.. whant be nice..
i think, but outside, need lighten collors, like yellow, light blue, grass green, Royal blue... and so..
the collor's mus go in eyes and in brain.. *bg* it mus branded :mrgreen: in look of advising..

and maby, why not a real Royal-Rose on cover with whaterdrops by side of the Ros-Logo
to tell it make/get with "love" ;D evenly a little bit more as only a dry commercial specific Cover ...
Reactos it is a Community a open source, with fun on it and love in the code ( hope it come correctly gentleman over)
And the Flag.. anyone have tell about a flag, why not Reactos with a Reactos on it....
and if we have a flag, cant ms nothing do, any can have a flag..
it's from from Castle and Knight's and not from Microsoft.. :mrgreen:

best regards
Blacky
Aape

Post by Aape »

I don't think I fully understood your post correctly, but lemme get this straight...

1. You want a rainbow on the front.

2. You want the ROS logo to be on a flag.

3. You want the CD cover to have roses on it.

What the hell? I take it english isn't your first language...
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Aape wrote:I don't think I fully understood your post correctly, but lemme get this straight...

1. You want a rainbow on the front.

2. You want the ROS logo to be on a flag.

3. You want the CD cover to have roses on it.

What the hell? I take it english isn't your first language...
1. dont get me worts in my mouth please.. , i did not say about any rainbow..
2. jea, why not and by side.., but dont at front..
3. roses ??? one.. only one as ornament by side..

but otherwise you are already humans friendly.
thanks for your friendliness

best regards
Blacky
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

making friends :D
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

jau... Happy Christmas... !!!! :mrgreen:

best Regards
Blacky
Last edited by Blackcrack on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Would you be so kind and remove this shit from here?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Other man making friendss :D....and a happpyy newwww yeeeeaarrr
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

vicmarcal wrote:Other man making friendss :D....and a happpyy newwww yeeeeaarrr
Hy Vicmarcal,

wish all happpyy newwww yeeeeaarrr tooooo00000 :mrgreen:

best Regards
Blacky
Last edited by Blackcrack on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yazou

Post by Yazou »

Thanks you for your comments. I really appreciate it.
I propose we make Yazou the new cover-designer
I don't think that I have the skills to become that ;).
I'm not really a designer. I'm just a novice who try to learn how to use some softwares with some tutorials I found. That was the really first time I used Inkscape.
Nice, but why dont have a list of support language? On dvd cover?
I didn't think about it and now i'm asking myself why I didn't. It's a nice idea :). But it'll be better if we write it on their respective language. Hmm, I don't think I speak very well so here is an example : Français instead of French.

I added it and I have already do few other changes to the cover. It doesn't change a lot : PNG (below) & SVG.
I will continue it later because I have my exams (of the 1st semester) very soon (less than 2 weeks) :(.
[ external image ]
a lil' more playing with atomic and a knowing flagg, but, scold be a lil' other flag be, you know, copyright..... but why not a lil' bit more play around atomic like the DVD-Case-Art-PSD-file at last link.. but outside... play around like halflive make more covers and let see what have you make with fun :D .. and i think, it's a must be to have a litle fun by making some covers, also, let see you can :mrgreen:
For the copyright, this one is free to use. So I think there is no problem :).
For the other 3d cover, I think that we have to use other one because I don't know about its license and it's not so easy to redo it. So we can use this freeware (not open source) or this tutorial.
So the result with the freeware software is below. I will try the tutorial later.
[ external image ]
I really like the form of the logo. Maybe you can turn it into SVG. I think it will be really useful.
I like the simple you did but maybe it's too much simple (looks like this). What I mean is that it'll be better if maybe you do it like this.

I also already tried to use it here : see this topic (hope you have nothing against using your logo).
Nota Bene : I did it with this tutorial.

And also Merry Christmas (hmm a little late) and Happy New Year to everyone :D.

Edit : PNG moved to Imageschack
Last edited by Yazou on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Sorry for my bad English.
My ReactOS stuff on MediaFire | Photobucket
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Blackcrack, stop pasting random images in here.
Aape

Post by Aape »

Yazou wrote:
I really like the form of the logo. Maybe you can turn it into SVG. I think it will be really useful.
I like the simple you did but maybe it's too much simple (looks like this). What I mean is that it'll be better if maybe you do it like this.

I also already tried to use it here : see this topic (hope you have nothing against using your logo).
Nota Bene : I did it with this tutorial.

And also Merry Christmas (hmm a little late) and Happy New Year to everyone :D.
I would have made it an SVG in the first place, but I failz at Inkscape D: I'll give it a shot later tho if I need something to do.

The version I posted isn't meant to be an overly dolled-up version, with cheesy glass effects and all, but the stock, simple version. Other variants can be used in other instances.

It's not a good idea to follow trends and fads when you make a logo. The whole overly flashy, gradient mash-up with plastic effects is a recent fad, and in a year or two there'll be a new fad. A truly good design is timeless and doesn't rely on a fad in order to look good.

Also, a word of advice: Use free image hosting services like Imageshack, DeviantArt, Photobucket to just put images up. Services like zShare or MediaFire are fine for hosting large files of other types, but for images it's just an extra couple of clicks and an extra 10-second wait that I shouldn't have to do just to see your design.
Yazou

Post by Yazou »

Hmm, I thought that MediaFire do both (files & images). But he doesn't even consider PNG as image format... So I will follow your advice from now :).

For the logo, it's really yours : I just used rotation and moreover I used the "CD cover" version. I didn't see that you have posted the logo.

For the effects on the logo, I thought that it will look better. By looking Linux Distributions logo on Wikipedia (openSuSE, Fedora), they look nice and simple with none effects. But on their website, they add some effects on it. So you're right : the official logo should be simple and have no effects. Then we could add some extra on it for the website, covers...

To vectorise your logo, it's easy :
1. Set the background as transparency instead of white.
2. Import it in Inkscape.
3. Select it then do Path > Trace Bitmap > OK.
4. Move the new image (vectorised) and then delete the old one (non-vectorised) that is below.
5. Select the new image then do File > Document Properties > Fit page to selection.

And now you have your vectorised logo :D.

PS : When I look at ReactOS logo, it reminds me an atom with electrons around or a planet with rings. Don't you guys think the same ? :?
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Sorry for my bad English.
My ReactOS stuff on MediaFire | Photobucket