ReactOS Mod Site

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

RaptorEmperor

ReactOS Mod Site

Post by RaptorEmperor »

There are always people on the forums suggesting that the ReactOS team create different editions of ReactOS, or suggesting new wallpapers or themes. I'm not a proponent of anything other than the barebones, basic ReactOS we are using now being distributed as the official because it's not the ReactOS dev team's job to argue over visual styles, start menus, wallpapers, or anything else not related to making a Windows-compatible OS. However, there are a good number of users on this site who consistently make suggestions regarding aesthetics and design, and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

The hunger for customizing ReactOS could help ReactOS if we foster the growth of a modding community committed to improving the ReactOS experience for our users. A modding scene would attract users who want an operating system experience that the restrictions of EULAs and closed-source Windows code can't provide. It would show off the potential of ReactOS, and make it more attractive for casual users who don't understand the significance of well-written C code or the amount of skill necessary to create Win32k compatibility .

What I suggest is that a ReactOS Modding Community be created. This could be integrated into a section the larger ReactOS.org website or just be attached as a partner website (my personal preference). We could have a disclaimer on ReactOS.org explaining the reason in working terms for ReactOS's simple default design aesthetic, and go on to inform users that they can modify ReactOS at their own discretion, providing a link to the mod community's website. Once at the mod website, the user could check out various community-approved mods listed and download the ones they want. They would then install the add-ons themselves. By doing things this way, the modding community could be centralized into one spot to show the best of what ReactOS can do without clogging the forums of the ReactOS.org forums with constant topics of "Windows XP-Like Interface" or "New Start Menu Concept". As any ReactOS programs should be able to run on Windows, this might even draw Windows users to ReactOS by giving them bits and pieces of the ReactOS experience to play with before making a commitment to install it.

This could even bolster our number of developers for the operating system itself. If a beginning programmer dabbles into fooling with the interface, he or she might get even more curious and explore the underpinnings of the operating system. This could lead to mods for increased security, hardware compatibility, etc. which, if significant enough for the wider ReactOS community, could even be folded into the standard ReactOS distribution.

Of course, modding ReactOS when it's not even stable is a horrific idea, but in the future (0.5, at earliest) this might be something worth considering. I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this in the past. Does this sound like a good idea?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: ReactOS Mod Site

Post by vicmarcal »

Of course it´s a great idea ;)
The Mode Site could begin doing small stuff right now, as changing icons,wallpapers...and when Reactos get more stable u can make a full mod.

So u can begin making that site ;)..you dont have to wait 4 years( time needed to reach 0.5 version).
There are a lot of designers here..so just organize them to make it real :D
007*

Post by 007* »

Whats the verdict of this, is the site being built? if so where? im very interested in this :)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well...i didnt heard any news about it.Making mods is easy,at least,as changing icons,wallpapers,design.
Just changing start.icon to startnew.icon,favourite(heart).icon to favourite(notheartplease).icon and such...

Graphics are in explorer.exe. I can help u finding what to substitute.

Right now there isnt any web.Just this thread ;).
SdC

Post by SdC »

hahaha pimpmyros.org, why not? go for it!
changturkey

Post by changturkey »

Of course it´s a great idea ;)
The Mode Site could begin doing small stuff right now, as changing icons,wallpapers...and when Reactos get more stable u can make a full mod.

So u can begin making that site ;)..you dont have to wait 4 years( time needed to reach 0.5 version).
There are a lot of designers here..so just organize them to make it real :D
It's going to take 4 years?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I was just guessing.
This was my calculation:
A new version appears each 2-3 months:
From 0.3 to 0.4 we will need at least 10 versions(we arent decimal:so after 0.3.9 we can go to 0.3.10....until arriving 0.4).AFAIK is possible to arrive to 0.4 after 0.3.9 or maybe 0.3.10.
From 0.4 to 0.5 we will need another 10 version more or less(just guessing).

So the optmistic prevision: We need about 3 versions to arrive 0.4 and 10 more to arrive 0.5->That means 13 versions with 2-3 months between them-> means about 32 months->Almost 3 years.

I hope this prevision will be shorter since devs are joining the project,so we can speed up the 0.5 date ;)
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

I was thinking that this project might more or less integrate with my ReactOS Synthesis project.

ReactOS Synthesis for those not in the know, is a project which aims to use ReactOS components to replace or even upgrade functionality in Windows (XP SP3 ATM). The project could be expanded to accomodate such functionality.

Thoughts?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well..that is the best way to test how compatibility ReactOS is..Mixing both Systems ;)...
ReactOS hybrid seems to be a Huge test box ;)...
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Elledan wrote: ReactOS Synthesis for those not in the know, is a project which aims to use ReactOS components to replace or even upgrade functionality in Windows (XP SP3 ATM).
Why?
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

hto wrote:
Elledan wrote: ReactOS Synthesis for those not in the know, is a project which aims to use ReactOS components to replace or even upgrade functionality in Windows (XP SP3 ATM).
Why?
Because it allows one to test ROS components within a perfectly* stable and debugged environment. Something like that is impossible within ROS itself, making debugging things much harder. It'd also make it interesting for people to improve Windows with OS components, which can then be added to ROS as well. In the end it's win-win.

* according to MSFT marketing speak.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Elledan wrote: In the end it's win-win.
Or possibly win-ros.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

SdC wrote:hahaha pimpmyros.org, why not? go for it!
I think ros-look.org would be better. If you know what I mean.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Iyeru wrote:
SdC wrote:hahaha pimpmyros.org, why not? go for it!
I think ros-look.org would be better. If you know what I mean.
right, conform to some linux "-look.org" pagest to find easyer,
but, i find, like pimping it' crewler in the ears *lol*
but schold more conform to some open source be like "-look.org"
and i think ,kde and gnome whant tell to us welcome as a win32/nt system on
other open source platform as linux...

(to pimping or so, i had tell it is a must be , to explorer² more modular like pussle to change
some component and enabling it to pimping fully the shell, enabling to load or unload some dll or
gadged's or small apps at start behind the login of user ..)

best regards
blacky