A Scalable Vector Logo for ReactOS

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Floridajin

Post by Floridajin »

No need to get upset, guys. We should keep it civil. I don't see anything wrong with a little constructive criticism or debate.

That said, I kinda like the curren ReactOS logos, though I'm sure there are ways to improve on them. IMHO, adding a touch of color wouldn't hurt, I think. Too much will make it gaudy, tho. It's a matter of proper balance and contrast I suppose.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

If the target audience of ROS is to be basically companies currently running NT then its hardly likely they'll appreciate the dull color it uses now. I'm rather not surprised by your reactions here, mf, as you seem to be overly attached to the dull schemes on the drawing board. You might be attached to it but that doesn't mean its generally well liked.

And, mf, save you ad hominum. I called it like it is. Get over it.
Go Huskers!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

MadRat wrote:If the target audience of ROS is to be basically companies currently running NT
That's your misconception nr. 1. ReactOS will be mature for the desktop before it reaches a state to be interesting for companies (missing official support professionals is quite a problem for one). So the "target audience" is power users that want to get rid of their WinXP and probably already have some limited Linux experience. And as long as your powerpoint presentation is flashy enough the logo won't interest those corporate suits one bit. If IBM can interest them in a fat penguin, then we can interest them in a boring atom.
rastilin

Post by rastilin »

Unless we end up including software or code that prevents us from selling or marketing this. That being said I think usb support, DirectX or ReiserFS 4 support would interest the "corporate suits" more than a cute logo. Unless they're the PHB variety.

IMHO the current logo is excellent. There are some really nice variants in the icon thread, one of those will probably show up in ReactOS.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Your suggestions intrigued me, MadRat. Here is my free interpretation:

[ external image ]

The primary colors are included, and instead of the double electrons I made the image more dynamic with some swirls. Hey, wait a minute.. This is deja vu! Wonder where I've seen this before...
Stead

Post by Stead »

quote="MadRat"
I still think people are too set on that double electron idea. Its really ugly. Its beyond ugly.
umb, would i be right in thinking your the only one so far who is really against the logo? i personally quite like it, i think its simple, yet effective, isn't that what a logo is supposed to be, i think its quite eye catching too, the glow makes you look towards it, maybe not sure?

is it just me, or are the non developy people getting to worked up on little things to complain about?

winrar's icon is a load of books, whats that got to do with anything?
linux doesn't really have anything to do with a pinguin, at least i've never known a penguin to use linux, i guess i could be wrong, i haven't really seen any penguins outside of a zoo :?

they are both still popular tho!

sorry for pointless post! i just find it annoying how projects often have fans discussing (seemingly) pointless topics which in my opinion aren't exactly priority, especially when the item at hand has already been taken care of, and has been so for years.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

mf, I am only less impressed with you as a person as compared with the degree of your artwork skills on display. You don't handle criticism at all, period. Jaix had some very good suggestions and you spazzed on him. In fact, any suggestion of style for the ROS project seems to draw ire from you. Like I said, I am very unimpressed with you as a person. Based on these little spasms I feel sorry for the ROS team if they ever decide to go with another artist. I can already predict you destroying things around here in a tantrum.
Go Huskers!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

MadRat wrote:mf, I am only less impressed with you as a person as compared with the degree of your artwork skills on display. You don't handle criticism at all, period.
First of all, I didn't make the official ReactOS logo. I merely presented it in a larger resolution, respecting the original author in the appearance of the logo. Of course I don't want to change it, because it's not mine. And it's also not open to modification. Simple as that. Also, we have something that works, and we stick with it.

Secondly, I have had quite some constructive criticism on things I've made which I've been able to incorporate into improved versions and future works. Most of those have been from ReactOS developers and IRC channel regulars. I have however not heard anything useful from you. "This sucks, that sucks, do it entirely different and it might look good"-- that is not constructive criticism. What you've said in this thread has not been much more than (mild) trolling. No, I don't react well to that. Is that a surprise to you?
Jaix had some very good suggestions and you spazzed on him. In fact, any suggestion of style for the ROS project seems to draw ire from you.
He has where? Not in this thread, not in the "demo reactos logo" thread, and not in the icon thread. Where else may I find criticism that relates to my own work, and where have I spazzed on it?
Like I said, I am very unimpressed with you as a person. Based on these little spasms I feel sorry for the ROS team if they ever decide to go with another artist. I can already predict you destroying things around here in a tantrum.
And I really don't care one bit. Had you shown yourself to be more capable of providing intelligent arguments and less trolling, I might have cared. Quite frankly, I'm not very impressed with you either. I guess that makes us even.

Sorry about the dead link btw, my webhosting's RAID array appears to have died. Here's a replacement imageshack upload
Edit: Server back up. Only 3 leaves were incorrectable, out of roughly 330.000. So the data recovery was successful. :)
Last edited by mf on Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

mirosoft wrote: [ external image ]
Thats creepily close...

My only recommendation for your logo is to make the inside border thing not blue (cause it blends in with the blue on the bottom left and that looks off)
"People do have a real life." -- w3seek

Guess that means I'm not a person :-D
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

SirTalon wrote:
mirosoft wrote: [ external image ]
Thats creepily close...
So that was the deja vu feeling I had! You know, I had a suspicion there was something fishy about MadRat's suggestions, but I couldn't quite place it... Thanks for pointing it out!
Jaix
Moderator Team

Hey guys! what about a scalable vector logo?

Post by Jaix »

Well, I was talking about a scalable vector logo, and mf you don't like anyone else to do it because it's on your todo list or what? then you come up with a bitmap alternative, stay on the subject please, stop trolling around... :lol:

Hey all you guys, I think it is important with a good scalable logo, maybe I am not the best one for the task, but I have done a suggestion so I'm the first :D .
Also I have corrected the things uniQ was refering to, I'll send a new one when I come to work the next week.

The reason I want to create a vector logo is not to create turmoil in the forum, I want to get the work with good banners and small or big logos and adds going for the future marketing and present resource collection (developers, enthusiasts, bug-finders beta testers and all other resources we might need).

MadRat, I take your stand as an encouragement, and uniQ, thank you for your constructive critisism. Please lets stop complaining and keep up the good work.
mf, please start working with some good ads, Paint Shop Pro, Freehand, and Flash as you use are good software, get to it. One question more, the atom centre bitmap you used, is there a possibility for me to get it from you?
mf
Developer

Re: Hey guys! what about a scalable vector logo?

Post by mf »

Jaix wrote:Well, I was talking about a scalable vector logo, and mf you don't like anyone else to do it because it's on your todo list or what?
Feel free to beat me to it. I just mean to say that it's already in my plans.
Jaix wrote:mf, please start working with some good ads, Paint Shop Pro, Freehand, and Flash as you use are good software, get to it.
I'm currently working on the iconset, which at the moment is higher priority than advertisements. I want all start menu icons replaced before WineConf 2005, and I also have some other stuff I need to take care of before next week. I'll see what I can do logo-wise.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Hey guys! what about a scalable vector logo?

Post by Jaix »

mf wrote:Feel free to beat me to it. I just mean to say that it's already in my plans.
Well, the Netherlands isn't to far away from Sweden, so that could be an option, but on the other hand, l'm not from the NetherWorld, so the iron rod thing isn´t my style :lol: but when you have got the time I would like to encourage you to it.
mf wrote:I'm currently working on the iconset, which at the moment is higher priority than advertisements. I want all start menu icons replaced before WineConf 2005, and I also have some other stuff I need to take care of before next week. I'll see what I can do logo-wise.
This sounds good, I look forward to see your work.
One question, the atom center bit map? Can I get it from you?
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

I'd suggest, mf, that you take a quick look over at the list of Linux distributions:

http://www.linuxiso.org/finddistro.php

The common theme among the most succesful communities is a good colorful scheme and a nice looking mascot or iconic symbol was chosen that represents their group. The little atom symbol for ROS pales in comparison to most every single one. I realize that ROS has nothing to do with Linux or the distributions, but this is the trend in OSS development projects.

When I say primary color, I'm refering to bright, deep color. A good example of simple primary color-based icons would be what they did with Turkix:

[ external image ]

Oh my gosh, its an XP desktop clone that actually looks like... *gasp* ..XP!

I'm not sure if he borrowed from another project or if he did all of the icons himself, but this guy's layout is simply clean and vibrant. I do like some of wat you've done for ROS, mf, don't get me wrong. I just think that there could be alot of improvement. Instead of bagging on the people that try to help maybe listen to their ideas.
Go Huskers!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

MadRat, those are Everaldo's icons. And ReactOS currently uses the "Border" iconset by, *drumroll*, Everaldo. I'm here to replace that shiny fisherprice look.