Is any audio needed?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

jobromedia

Is any audio needed?

Post by jobromedia »

First of all let me introduce myself. Johan Brodd from Stockholm, Sweden. I know greatlord, one of the higher devs here on ReactOS. I waited to see the developement, and I'm impressed so far. Now to my question. All Windows OS got some sounds to mark stuff happening in the OS such as message dialogs popping up, new mail and so on. I'm willing to craft such sounds if there is any intrest for them.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Is any audio needed?

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, later we could need those sounds. But not yet. We dont have a working Sound System, so they wont work right now anyway.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
jobromedia

Post by jobromedia »

Ok drop me a mail once the time is ready for ROS sounds.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

With some luck we may need ROS sounds by early next year :)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Elledan. I LOVE YOU! :D :D :D
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Details pls?:>>>
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

If Elledan does all that she is saying (and i dont doubt it) i will ask to change the name of Reactos to ElledanOS..:D(j/K)...

-Usb support
-Audio support
-ROSE..

There are a lot of devs making a good and nice effort...those ones that users dont see..but efforts that let´s Elledan making Usb and Audio possible.
We have the best NT Devs... :D
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

vicmarcal wrote:If Elledan does all that she is saying (and i dont doubt it) i will ask to change the name of Reactos to ElledanOS..:D(j/K)...

-Usb support
-Audio support
-ROSE..

There are a lot of devs making a good and nice effort...those ones that users dont see..but efforts that let´s Elledan making Usb and Audio possible.
We have the best NT Devs... :D
While I'm aware that Elledan is working on USB, I thought that it was Silverblade doing the work on audio... or is one of them doing, for example, the userland work while the other adds the kernel components?
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

GoBusto wrote: While I'm aware that Elledan is working on USB, I thought that it was Silverblade doing the work on audio... or is one of them doing, for example, the userland work while the other adds the kernel components?
Silverblade is still the only dev on audio right now, yes. At this point I have just kind of assigned myself the task of picking up any slack in the project and somewhat managing it, I guess :)
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Elledan wrote:
GoBusto wrote: While I'm aware that Elledan is working on USB, I thought that it was Silverblade doing the work on audio... or is one of them doing, for example, the userland work while the other adds the kernel components?
Silverblade is still the only dev on audio right now, yes. At this point I have just kind of assigned myself the task of picking up any slack in the project and somewhat managing it, I guess :)
But if you won't do any work unless you get donations, I'm not sure if we'll see much progress. I know I don't donate to anyone, no matter what. People that get donations are people who can't rely on their current money situation to help other projects. I think people need to learn that. I know, I may be stepping over my bounds a bit by saying that... and you can label it as an opinion all you want. I already support ReactOS by putting links to the website in signatures across other message boards anyway.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Iyeru wrote: But if you won't do any work unless you get donations, I'm not sure if we'll see much progress. I know I don't donate to anyone, no matter what. People that get donations are people who can't rely on their current money situation to help other projects. I think people need to learn that. I know, I may be stepping over my bounds a bit by saying that... and you can label it as an opinion all you want. I already support ReactOS by putting links to the website in signatures across other message boards anyway.
Well, a donation is voluntary, so I can't force you to donate :)

All I'm saying is that while people like me will work on ROS no matter what, since we do have got bills to pay, with donations we can work more on ROS than without donations.
af3

Post by af3 »

In response to the idea of event sounds in this operating system;

Please don't go the Windows Vista or XP route with annoying piano or vocal nuisances. Calm, quiet and subtle sound ques/hints would be appreciated, and multiple schemes to choose from would be greatly appreciated.

I usually turn off Window's and Linux's sounds. No one seems to get that an auditory que should not make you jump; rather make you look up from your copy to take notice at something of importance.

Some nice subtle synth clicks and tweets (you know, movie computer sounds) with a mild reverb trail perhaps?

And please, I apologize for this request being somewhat off-topic, but how about Desktop Themes as an optional add-on, or installation option? I miss Windows 98...

Thanks for continuing work on ReactOS!!! :)
florian

Post by florian »

af3 wrote:Calm, quiet and subtle sound ques/hints would be appreciated, and multiple schemes to choose from would be greatly appreciated.
Absolutely - a reduced and minimal sound design would be great! But such an undertaking is probably linked with lots of work. Maybe there are already good examples within the world of Open Source OS?
af3 wrote:I usually turn off Window's and Linux's sounds.
Except of the empty battery warning the system sounds of XP can be turned off to my mind.
Aape

Post by Aape »

I usually turn sounds off. I'm no musician, so I can't really help with production. But the above comments I agree with, the sound scheme should be as calming and smooth as possible. They should politely remind you that something has come up that needs your attention, rather than the usual "WEEEEEWOOOOOWEEEEEEEWWWWOOOOOOO" fire engine alarms that most OSes use... Maybe I exaggerate, but I'm sure you get my point.