DSL on 0.3.6

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ghostman 1

DSL on 0.3.6

Post by Ghostman 1 »

I was able to get my mouse and keyboard working on another computer, But how do i get my DSl to work in ReactOS 0.3.6 ? I went into network and it has found my card, and it says it is working,But how do I get
Online ? When i click on React Explore and then web, It says that I need Active X and it is not installed..
Now what do I do ?
GoBusto

Re: DSL on 0.3.6

Post by GoBusto »

Use Download! to get Firefox 1 or 2. Alternatively, just insert a CD that has the installer on it. The built-in ReactOS browser hasn't worked (for me at least) for ages.

Firefox 3.x works, by the way, but it has some serious issues, so you're better off sticking with the 2.x series.
Ghostman 1

Post by Ghostman 1 »

Ok, I installed firefox 2.0 and I get this message (server not found) Am I missing something somewhere ?
Everything says it is working,but is not.. What do you suggest ?
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Ghostman 1 wrote:Ok, I installed firefox 2.0 and I get this message (server not found) Am I missing something somewhere ?
Everything says it is working,but is not.. What do you suggest ?
You could try grabbing a trunk build and installing that instead, since there has been a lot of work done on the ReactOS networking components since 0.3.6 was released.

Unfortunately, trunk builds seem to be broken at the moment. Oh dear.

EDIT: Be aware that trunk builds don't have Download! included, so you'll need to have the Firefox 2.x installer on a CD.
Ghostman 1

Post by Ghostman 1 »

OK, i installed trunk build 36596 and it does the same thing.. When I click on Networking Connections, I get this error. (RAs folder not yet Implemented in shell 32... What does this mean..
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Ghostman 1 wrote:OK, i installed trunk build 36596 and it does the same thing.. When I click on Networking Connections, I get this error. (RAs folder not yet Implemented in shell 32... What does this mean..
Are you using Download! to get the Firefox installer, or are you using a CD? If you're able to install things via Download! then it looks like the problem might be with Firefox. Let us know.
Ghostman 1

Post by Ghostman 1 »

No, I installed firefox using a cd, I have NO internet connection.. This is what i am trying to fix..
Do i need to install active X before I am able to get online ? By the way ,I have React installed on my hard drive and i am using a Router...
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Ghostman 1 wrote:No, I installed firefox using a cd, I have NO internet connection.. This is what i am trying to fix..
Do i need to install active X before I am able to get online ? By the way ,I have React installed on my hard drive and i am using a Router...
No, the ActiveX plugin is only needed if you want to use the ReactOS explorer.exe as a browser. It hasn't worked for ages, so ignore it.

Since your network card seems to be detected and you're connecting via a router, it's possible that the router is blocking ReactOS somehow. This happened to me when I installed gNewSense on a machine that previously ran XP - after the install, my previously working ethernet connection died until I plugged the ethernet cable into a different port on my router and restarted both the machine and the router. You could try to do the same.

Both before and after trying this, attempt to connect to your router using Firefox. In case you haven't done this before, all you'll need to do is to enter the IP address of your router - such as http://192.168.1.254/ - into the address bar. If you can connect to your router but not the Internet then it looks like it's the router blocking your Internet access.

Let us know what happens.
Ghostman 1

Post by Ghostman 1 »

Nope, i put in the router (192.168.1.1) and it does nothing..I guess it is the network driver..I will try another network card...
Ghostman 1

Post by Ghostman 1 »

OK, I changed the network card to a 3com (3c905c) But still nothing... And it is still showing The Realtek old one.. Hymmm that is strange..Do i have to change something or reinstall the OS ??
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

More fixes are being made to the network code all the time (All hail our glorious dev team, etc) so I'd suggest installing new trunk versions every time you see a message that says "Merge aicom-network-fixes up to r3xxxx"

I'd also avoid swapping network cards without reinstalling afterwards, just to avoid any possible problems with ReactOS not realising that it should be using the new one and that the old one is not there any more.

EDIT: Also, this link might be useful.
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Ghostman 1 wrote:OK, I changed the network card to a 3com (3c905c) But still nothing... And it is still showing The Realtek old one.. Hymmm that is strange..Do i have to change something or reinstall the OS ??
Regretfully no real network cards work to my knowledge in ros actually. The problem isn't in the network code (this is a regression since real netowrk cards were working in rev. 2xxxx iirc), but is a problem with drivers in general, see bugs: 1836, 2634, 2861, 3006, 2987, 3753, among others.
anthrax11

Post by anthrax11 »

I have an old Realtek 8029 card that works on real HW (just checked with trunk ver. 36626).
Haven't had any success with 8139 or any other card though.
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

anthrax11 wrote:I have an old Realtek 8029 card that works on real HW (just checked with trunk ver. 36626).
Haven't had any success with 8139 or any other card though.
Great to know :D , it's the first one I know that works in real hardware with current trunk...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You are lucky, mine 8029 doesnt work with the default ros driver...