plan to delete non english posts from the wiki

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

DangerGround
Website Coordinator

plan to delete non english posts from the wiki

Post by DangerGround »

My plan is to delete all non english pages from the wiki, but only no one has valid points against my plan (but they might provide a better solution than the current state).
Some pages could also move to the roscms interface.

My Points against keeping the current situation with multiple languages in the wiki
  • we would need someone from every language(which is in the wiki) to add interwiki linking (to the english article), so that we're able to remove all that stuff that also exists as roscms page or is already deleted or no more needed
  • e.g. No/ has a lot of articles, and a lot of them are orphaned
  • we need a interface to compare between versions, like in roscms
  • also a list of outdated translations, to give it someone who cares about
  • developer and tester should be able to read english, makes the communication between them possible and as the wiki should focus on them, there should be no problem with removing translations this articles
  • existing manpower could be used better to concentrate on roscms translations
  • search doesn't work well with the current situation, you may want to search for 'Subversion' and you'll get the english article for 'Subversion', also if there exists a article in your language, only with another language prefix
some statistics
  • ~ 220 articles in languages other than english exists
  • ~50 articles are subject for deletion, because the better fit into the roscms (partially the articles exist)
  • ~50 articles focusing on development / documentation
  • ~20 only important for the wiki
  • ~ 60 articles not linked by another article
  • articles per language
  • No - 62
  • De - 38
  • Fr - 28
  • It - 27
  • Ru - 17
  • Pt - 12
  • Ja - 10
  • Es - 9
  • Zh - 6
  • Nl - 4
  • Ko - 3
  • Pl - 1
Haos
Test Team

Re: plan to delete non english posts from the wiki

Post by Haos »

I dont know what is the official policy on non-english wiki entries, but i`d fully support such move. We need a good sweep on wiki first, only after its fully reviewed and updated, we may start thinking on getting it translated.
z180

Post by z180 »

I like this plan,because the non english wikis are incomplete misleading and not updated for years.
bz00mmer

Post by bz00mmer »

Hm... I think, not native speakers opinion is meaningle.
I offer to associate user/team to each language for supporting it .
I.e., first, create stable version of english wiki and give time to translating it.
If team/user can support wiki - it must be saved.
Second: I think, part of wikies must be placed just in a english(for example, programming issues).

I can start russian translation and it organisation. Just tell me about this needing.
(Old version of wiki was translated fully(without strongly-technical articles)
DangerGround@wiki/ wrote:Do not translate this page, until my work is finished,
all still work in progress -DangerGround-
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

What dangerground forgot to mention was that there would be a shift of articles from the wiki to the CMS, so translations would be done in the CMS instead of the wiki. However, technical articles will still remain in the wiki as English only.
bz00mmer

Post by bz00mmer »

Z98 wrote:What dangerground forgot to mention was that there would be a shift of articles from the wiki to the CMS, so translations would be done in the CMS instead of the wiki. However, technical articles will still remain in the wiki as English only.
It's arguably question. FAQ, I think, must be shifted from CMS to wiki.

About CMS translations - also, I can do it for russian language.
Also, how I see, french(Heis Spiter), deutch(DangerGround?) and norwegian(LMH1) translations can be handled. Maybe, Polish(Haos), Spanish(elhoir) and Italian(gabrielilardi).

Peoples, users!Be active for progress! Each from you can do something to create necessary things.
DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround »

What kind of articles do you think, belong into the wiki?
FAQ is mainly interessting for people, which visit this site the first time, so wiki isn't the right place for this
bz00mmer

Post by bz00mmer »

DangerGround wrote:What kind of articles do you think, belong into the wiki?
FAQ is mainly interessting for people, which visit this site the first time, so wiki isn't the right place for this
http://www.reactos.org/en/about.html - this page for newbies
http://www.reactos.org/en/about_userfaq.html - this page for all
I think, last page can be moved to wiki, because very often posted same questions at forum.
DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround »

then point them to the roscms FAQ page, or add new points there but that belongs not to the wiki, as the wiki should focus on development / documentation. Because thats a kind of content which may not be interessting for normal users. Normal users, which only care about what runs on ros, rather than why does something doesn't run on ros should get enough information within roscms pages and compatability DB.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Why would either of those pages belong in the wiki? The wiki is primarily used because it's easy to edit so that developers don't need to muck around with the CMS. Pages like the FAQs are ones we want to restrict edit access to, as those are pages that people should not be able to edit/change as they wish.

And how does people asking the same questions as the FAQ qualify it as belonging to the wiki?
bz00mmer

Post by bz00mmer »

OK, you're right - we don't need FAQ in wiki.
But just half of wiki used for developing/documentation.
It consists also testing, translating and building ROS.
I think, all of this categories must be translated and stay in wiki mode.

About "normal" user - each second ROS user(>10 posts in forum :P ) can build and test OS.
Each third user - can translate pages. Currently, our users is qualified. And they need wiki.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

In order to translate ROS and file bug reports, they need to know English, since the base ROS is in English and we require bug reports in English.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Here a Spanish Translator ;)

Well Wiki seems to be really messed up. English Wiki is messed and really really out-dated, Spanish(and other Non-English languages) are incomplete(some outdated contents has been suppressed before transalating them).

I think it´s really necessary a deep clean(of outdated content) in the English Wiki BEFORE doing anything else.
Translators arent Developers, so we translate English Wiki and unfortunately we cant recognize ALL outdated content.(Maybe some but not all)

Also English Wiki has to be updated, there are so many new(IMPORTANT) ReactOS content to be written.

Also(I think) a RosCMS interface(as Web Translations) should be the best way to have the WIKI ordered and updated.Also should be improved the Image Support(Step-by-Step Manuals needs images)(Step-by-Step Manuals are the best way to get in contact easily)

night all ;)