PDF READER: SumatraPDF

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

PDF READER: SumatraPDF

Post by vicmarcal »

Hi, i have found a PDF Reader which works almost perfect at ReactOS.
Zoom IN,OUT,INDEX,Search Page,Search Word,Small,Doble Pages,Lot of Languages.
Some Images and Download:
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/

It has been tested with the last revision.
NOTE:It sometimes has a little flickered problem in one of the bars.Maybe a graphic problem.But it dissapears as you mouse over.

I hope you like it. ;)
inico

Re: PDF READER: SumatraPDF

Post by inico »

A not very long time ago, this software was imported into rosapps.
Some works were done on it but it was deleted.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It was an old and outdated sumatra codebase. We`d prefer to run the newest binary instead. RosAPPS are to be cleansed up of unneeded apps anyway.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

well, now the new Sumatra code works perfect(much better than some other APPs in the Database) so i think it would be a nice rosapp.This is the newest Sumatra code.
The graphic problem is solved.Just uncheck the Sumatra Rendering Engine and check it again.
;)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I doubt it will be included in rosapps, or so i heard.
inico

Post by inico »

It will more likely be included in ReactOS's Download!
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

It could be a good idea...sumatra at Download¡...It would be really useful :D
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

This is one of MANY apps I highly recommend using from portableapps.com. Switching people from Acrobat to Sumatra has made me the toast of the IT world here where I live, as silly as that sounds.

I also love the GIMP, Open Office, Pidgin, VLC, Audacity, Virtualdub, and of course Firefox, all of which are packaged nicely on that site.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Crhylove: Foxit PDF Viewer is best all around. Fastest for sure.
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

AFAIK Foxit is not open source. This means it can't be bundled with the OS for free, and it also means that eventually it will be outstripped by the rapid development of the open source model.

Give it a decade... Foxit what?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The suggestion that open source projects have a faster development cycle just by being open source is one of those myths out there. Even assuming a closed source project had a rapid rate of development, it's not as if its entire user base wants to have a new version chucked at them every month or so.

Anyways, we actually don't have any licensing restrictions preventing us from bundling Foxit, assuming they'd let us. But this again falls outside of the core base and we'd leave others to include it if they want to deal with the issue.
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

I was not suggesting that closed source development was slower. I was suggesting that inevitably over time it will lose out to an open source derivative. I think if you fast forward a decade open source will be even more strong than it is today, and two decades out, I don't see much closed source software (other than games) really being a significant part of any market.

That's all kind of moot though, and slightly off topic. I was merely pointing out the SumatraPDF IS open source, and a version could even be customized specifically FOR Reactos and then bundled. PDF functionality out of the box would be a good thing, I'd say, but ReactOS is still pretty alpha, I mainly see BSOD in virtualbox these days, and obviously all this talk is putting the cart way ahead of the horse.

rhY
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Sorry crhylove but closed source is the least thing that can deter me from a good app. You are also not correct with "over time it will lose out to an open source derivative". I know you wish opensource apps well, but it doesnt mean such apps do keep up with your opinion about them.

Please run both Sumatra and Foxit and try to scroll a rich pdf by keeping pagedown pressed. Observe how well both perform. This is what really counts, not if the sources are available...
MastErAldo

Post by MastErAldo »

I made a little list of opensource programs that people could use in an home system, if i have time i'll test the lastest versions of all these programs:

OFFICE SUITE: OpenOffice

ANTIVIRUS: ClamWin / Moon Secure AV

ANTISPYWARE: Winpooch

FIREWALL: Isafer

ARCHIVES MANAGER: 7Zip

MULTIMEDIA: VLC

PEER TO PEER: Emule / MLDonkey / BitTorrent

CHAT: Pidgin /amsn

BURNING PROGRAM: Infrarecorder

GRAPHIC: The Gimp

INTERNET SUITE (browser, client email, html editor): Mozilla SeaMonkey

HTML EDITOR WYSIWYG: KompoZer

VIDEO EDITING: VirtualDub

AUDIO EDITING: CDex

CODECS: Xvid

DATABASES: Mysql

3D GRAPHIC: Blender

DOS EMULATOR: DOSBox

REMOTE ACCESS VIA TELNET / SSH: Putty

GAMES: Znes (SNES emulator), OpenArena

SOFTWARE DEVELOPEMENT: Eclipse (java)
Last edited by MastErAldo on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Haos: Give it 10 years. We'll just have to see. ;)

MasterAldo: Great list!!! That's almost exactly the list I use! I'd add zsnes or mupenplus to that list, for recreation. Also I like the portable versions of most of those apps, so you can keep a nice clean registry. :)

rhY

PS I don't "hate" closed source or anything. I just recognize it for what it is: A dying breed of software, sputtering and gurgling it's last few breaths (which I acknowledge will take a while). I STILL use winamp 2.81 for instance, and there has yet to be a player to replace it, though coolplayerplus on portableapps.com I've been keeping my eye on.

PPS You should maybe add Dscaler to that list. Watching TV in a window is something I do a lot! Oh yeah, and have you checked out UltraVNC? That is a VERY handy tool!