ReactOS is no threat to Windows.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Re: ReactOS is no threat to Windows.

Post by Haos »

I do second here with oiaohm.

Post by avatarpatch »

ReactOS... Threat? Hmm depends how you look at it... IN FACT... it doesnt have to be... Is it currently ? Not yet but it will be once it is out of alpha and has DirectX support or equivalent... Heck when they reach that point I will format my PC that day to use it.

How it will be not a threat... this part has come to mind a few times. This is what I am thinking...

First once it gets out of Alpha and into Beta and can be used as a Desktop OS what the team can do is actually Approach Microsoft... Why? Simple! I have been reading alot of things lately about Microsoft and the new directions it is wanting to take. I would not dought one bit... if they would make a package that would allow people to use the latest DirectX or a Modified version of it that ReactOS users can BUY that will allow us to run programs that require DirectX.

Some of you may be thinking (WHAT?!?! WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU WANT TOO!?!?). There are a few reasons why... Microsoft actually might end up becoming a good business partner in the future... also they would not act hostily towards ReactOS if they themselves dont have to worry about loosing a whole lot of money to them and their alternative OS. It can also allow a possibility of future coopeation between the two companies.

Microsoft is trying to currently move alot of its assets to other ventures other then their OS and for good reason. They want to deversify. And if they offered say a package for like $20 that would allow True DirectX support and other features to ReactOS Users I would actualy buy it. $20 Dollars for once package to allow me to run all fo my MS Required software on an alternative FREE OS I would do it in a heart beat. It would also allow ReactOS Devs to work on other critical parts of ReactOS. Also the publicity alone from a co-venture would realy boost ReactOS support.

Thats just my two cents. I will add in more later if needed.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Mmm, can I have some of your weed too? :lol:

Post by avatarpatch »

I dont do any drugs or alcohal thank you... I am having a serious discusion. I do believe that from a marketing stand point as well as true DirectX support not to mention increased development time and support that it indeed would be a very good idea. I do have a business background in education and in practice (www.zidev.com). I do think that it would be a good avenue to consider.
SdC

Post by SdC »

I for one would LOVE to see you pitch this idea to Steve Ballmer :twisted: (but I don't want to be the one mopping the blood off the floor)

Post by avatarpatch »

hhehe there would be no point hehehe
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

I suppose it is interesting to also speculate that Microsoft does not necessarily make the bulk of its revenues from OS sales, but from sales of their Office suite (it can be imagined that every consumer and biz user has to purchase one license each for Windows and Office, but Office costs far more than Windows does).

Post by avatarpatch »

This is true and one of the reasons I think that they would probably indeed consider a co-venture with ReactOS in reguards to DX support Package...
swight

Post by swight »

Thought I would mention(though it may be redundant) that since ReactOS wont come with microsoft office(or any other microsoft software) pre-installed(at least from what I can tell), those that think that only microsoft office will work for them(for instance if they don't want or know about the open source alternatives) will still have to buy it. In essence we are a new market for microsoft products since our main goal is to make everything that works on windows work on reactos. It may also be important to make some type of deal with microsoft so maybe the licensing on some of their products might be a little more favorable for installation on ReactOS. Basically asking them to recognize ReactOS as a legal alternative to Windows(or that there are legal alternatives).

Post by avatarpatch »

Thats exactly right!

I realy feel that Microsoft would would be actually willing to do this. I would love to see what the design leader or team members of ReactOS think of this idea...

Post by avatarpatch »

I moved my thought to its own thread on the boards.
nute

Post by nute »

I tried to post a reply to the article, but ZDnet wanted me to give identifying information that I didn't feel like giving.
Anonymous feedback should be allowed, but besides that... It is petty to say that alpha quality software is no threat.
ReactOS will presumably stabilize enough in 2-3 years to challenge Windows dominance. ReactOS could have an
easier time competing if software producers start focusing on the better aspects of Windows and portable
programming. A Linux version anyone? Forget DRM, just arrest a few criminals and scare the rest. Don't
punish the innocent. Windows version? Please avoid confusing api's. Write your application for mono, not
.NET. Goodness gracious, what is wrong with Java, Java server pages, PHP, perl, ruby on rails? There
are a LOT of free coding languages for the web and off the web that work well. The article is just plain petty.
Who cared about Windows 1.x and Windows 2.x??? Windows didn't become popular till 3.x and some would
say until Windows for Workgroups came out. Windows Vista is called a "work in progress" by Steve Ballmer,
that is pretty sad considering the pressure that Microsoft is putting on the public to move to it. I hope ReactOS
becomes a suitable alternative to Vista.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

avatarpatch you are missing somethings critical.

In a lot of countries we don't need MS's approval to run there Direct X.

Same kernel fixes will have to be done to run MS Direct X as run our own clone.

Critical one ros is still 2 to 3 years off production use. Linux is not that long of business production use. By the time MS will even start talking about a deal with Ros they could be in major trouble. Notice that Microsoft has folded on there virtualistation limitation on vista. Only thing blocking effective containment of windows is video card support.

Microsoft is even talking about giving up on the NT design completely. Effectively making reactos another freedos project. Microsoft is answering being cloned the same way they did the last time. Drop the design.

Trouble is on Microsoft. MS Office will have to beat OpenOffice and its clones as well as KOffice. Full blown cross platform war. Last one standing. Microsoft market lock of outlook/exchange is going to snap.

Gets worse Microsoft market lock of MS ADS as the only thing that can control windows desktops is also going to snap.

Linux and Mac get something equal to MS ADS that really do cover there special secuirty differences.

All the major market locks are going to break. Final one cross distribution API/ABI will appear on Linux covering FreeBSD and Solaris. Reactos really need to be in beta before the end of this year before hell breaks loss. Hopefully pick up some funding along the way.

This war is counting down. As each piece drops into place.
SdC

Post by SdC »

oiaohm wrote:....
This war is counting down. As each piece drops into place.
We think alike oiaohm. Except I just happen to think the war is already raging hard.
With the low end subnotebooks (Asus EEE/MSI Wind/OLPC) Linux has entered the desktop fray from the bottom up, where Apple is attacking from the top down. The public is learning you don't need an expensive Windows box to update your Facebook. Microsoft can't/won't make their flagship Vista run on low power chips, while energy prices are sky rocketing, instead extending XP deadlines.... how short sighted can you be!
WINE out of beta, MONO adaption slowly starting, Firefox market share rising, Vista adaption lagging, MSN/Live Search still not finding anything, DirectX 10 games can still be counted on one hand (hell, Microrsoft Game Studio can't even get Flight Simulator X to use DX10 properly after 2 years collaboration with the DX team), MS throwing in the towel regarding the ooxml format etc. etc. etc.

The writing is on the wall!
Note: my livelyhood still depends on business adaptation of Microsoft products and I am fully certified MCSE/MSITP, so I'm not a Linux-freak MS-basher.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

SdC current stuff like EEE and so on is just the lead up.

The war I am talking about is nothing like the lead up. Currently its MS vs Mac vs Some devices makers.

The one I am talking about will see a true war break out between Linux Distributions to be last one standing. Remember currently each distribution has its own little market pocket. That limitation snap. Distributions have battle to stay alive acquiring market from Microsoft will be no different to acquiring it from other distribution makers.

Linux model is currently citadels of distributions. It will turn into a true bazaar model. Where you can acquire software from a stack of different companies directly making it far more inline with the Microsoft current day model with a lot more freedoms.

Blood bath is coming. Lot of Linux Distributions will cease to exist. The ones that remain will be competing in a completely different model.

Also looking at what Linux has been up until this point then comparing to what it is in 12 months time. May not even be identify able as the same thing. Lot of performance issues will disappear. Lots of configuration issues also disappear. Far more closed source applications on Linux. In time companies doing like what Norton system works did for windows but for Linux will be able to enter the market.