Image for MIDI interface.

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlo Bramix
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:43 am
Location: Italy

Image for MIDI interface.

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Hello.
As you can see from this little screenshot:

[ external image ]

at the moment ReactOS is missing the icon for the midi interface into the 'mmsys' control panel applet.
If you are an artist and you would like to help, you could desing an icon (or a small bitmap: I do not think it would be a big problem) for solving this issue.
We are waiting your suggestions.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.

Ged
Developer
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: UK

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by Ged »

This should be taken from Tango to keep the icons consistent

grschneider
Developer
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:16 pm

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by grschneider »

Why not use this one? It's not a midi-keyboard, but music fits the context.
[ external image ]

It can be found here:
tango-icon-theme-0.8.1\[size]\mimetypes\audio-x-generic.png

GoBusto
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by GoBusto »

EDITED: Here are some icons I made using the standard Windows 16-colour range.

16x16 [ external image ]
24x24 [ external image ] (Version 1)
24x24 [ external image ] (Version 2)
32x32 [ external image ] (Version 1)
32x32 [ external image ] (Version 2)
Last edited by GoBusto on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Carlo Bramix
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:43 am
Location: Italy

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Hello,
Ged wrote:This should be taken from Tango to keep the icons consistent
This was my initial intention too, but it seems to me that there is no MIDI icon into Tango:
(for people who does not know what we are talking about)
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library
I see that there is the "musical note" icon into Tango but, if I can say opinion, it looks a bit too generic.
But after looking all nice feedbacks with ReactX logo contest, I'm quite sure we can get a good icon that looks well with Tango style, that's why I did this post...

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.

z180
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by z180 »

What size and colour depth should be icons and bitmaps submitted to ReactOS?
Windows icons were black-white only up to Windows 3.0
Then 16 coloured and XP betas had 256 colour icons.
ReactOS seems to use 24-bit icons and bitmaps.
Another question is the size of the graphics.

ReactOS used KDE icons in explorer and control panel long ago.

hefner
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:49 am

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by hefner »

I like the icons from GoBusto ... they are simple and easy to recognize ...

silverblade
Developer
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:41 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by silverblade »

Just to add my thoughts to this...

I'm not a big fan of the speaker icon used for the control panel applet (the one shown in the screenshot). At a first glance it does not immediately look like a speaker - it looks more like a tube with something in the middle of it.

It's a speaker cone, sure, but there's just something about it which looks dull/dry, for want of a better description. It also looks mis-shaped around the edges.

The micrphone icon is OK, although it's a bit grey (like the speaker icon!)

Unfortunately, as much as I'm involved with audio, I'm not much of a graphics person! :lol:
Andrew / Silver Blade

[ external image ]

GoBusto
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by GoBusto »

z180 wrote:What size and colour depth should be icons and bitmaps submitted to ReactOS?
Windows icons were black-white only up to Windows 3.0
Then 16 coloured and XP betas had 256 colour icons.
ReactOS seems to use 24-bit icons and bitmaps.
Another question is the size of the graphics.

ReactOS used KDE icons in explorer and control panel long ago.
It seems that 32x32 is about the right size:

[ external image ]

hto
Developer
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by hto »

silverblade wrote: Just to add my thoughts to this...

I'm not a big fan of the speaker icon used for the control panel applet (the one shown in the screenshot). At a first glance it does not immediately look like a speaker - it looks more like a tube with something in the middle of it.

It's a speaker cone, sure, but there's just something about it which looks dull/dry, for want of a better description. It also looks mis-shaped around the edges.
I suggest to replace the speaker icon by gramophone's horn image.

Like this one:
[ external image ]
:-)

Speedator
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:42 pm

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by Speedator »

GoBusto: It is very nice, but I think it would be good to have it more greyish like the tango-icons and maybe a bit more "3D" like the original windows-icon and the tango-icons. In the current way it sticksout a little bit.

swight
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by swight »

GoBusto: I like the one on the right best if they were up for comparison. partially because of the reduced windows size,and also because I like the midi icon better(much easier to see).

GoBusto
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by GoBusto »

swight wrote:GoBusto: I like the one on the right best if they were up for comparison. partially because of the reduced windows size,and also because I like the midi icon better(much easier to see).
I should probably have mentioned that the one on the right is from Windows XP, while the one on the left is the (slightly modified) ReactOS version.

Speedator
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:42 pm

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by Speedator »

As I said try to make a more 3Dish version, so it fits a little bit more.
And doing it vector-based, would be great, too.
Any nice work!

coldReactive
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:42 pm

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Post by coldReactive »

I still prefer the 16/32-bit XP version, since those modified ReactOS ones look a bit sloppy =/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 0 guests