Vista Design possibly

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevintrooper

Re: Vista Design possibly

Post by kevintrooper »

betaluva wrote:"It's also a Win98/ME Skinning Engine" it supports 16 bit and 32 bit, i just installed it for fun( yes i know it wont work ) and it installed ok : http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6408/uberrosng3.jpg

Haha, was this idea inspired on one of your videos on youtube? :D hahaha!
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

sort off, i installed uberskin in a windows 98 se virtual machine and i was very pleased with result.
nitrofurano

Post by nitrofurano »

in my oppinion, betting in a fancy GUI would be the worse mistake possible - XP and Vista are nice examples of this - and as well, using MacOS-X, what is missing there were no fancy interfaces, but yes those missing simple ones, like from NeXT-Step or Rhapsody... The most simple and fast an inteface is, better it is as well...
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

nitrofurano wrote:in my oppinion, betting in a fancy GUI would be the worse mistake possible - XP and Vista are nice examples of this - and as well, using MacOS-X, what is missing there were no fancy interfaces, but yes those missing simple ones, like from NeXT-Step or Rhapsody... The most simple and fast an inteface is, better it is as well...
OS9's interface was better than OSX's
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Iyeru wrote:
nitrofurano wrote:in my oppinion, betting in a fancy GUI would be the worse mistake possible - XP and Vista are nice examples of this - and as well, using MacOS-X, what is missing there were no fancy interfaces, but yes those missing simple ones, like from NeXT-Step or Rhapsody... The most simple and fast an inteface is, better it is as well...
OS9's interface was better than OSX's
Prepare for Internet Argument™... I disagree, the old MacOS interface looked dated and was not as pretty or intuitive as MacOSX.

As someone who has used the Windows classic interface since forever and refuses to change to anything else (especially the XP Start Menu or the new Explorer layout introduced with Windows Vista), I'm generally against anything that isn't Windows 2000, but I bought a Mac Mini with MacOSX 10.3 a while ago (basically a whim) and it is actually quite nice, if a little slow - which I guess should be expected from a 1.25GHz PowerPC machine with 256MB of RAM and a 32MB ATi Radeon 9x00.

My only real issues with it are that (A) Apple mice are terrible, so you need to go out and grab a normal Logitech USB mouse and also (B) the way the mouse slows down so that it appears to be moving with pixel-perfect accuracy when it's moved at a speed below a certain threshold is "well bloody annoying, mate" - I suppose that it might be good for image editing, but that is something I do not do a lot of with my somewhat underpowered Mac Mini, and it doesn't appear that I can disable it.

However, this is getting off-topic - we're supposed to be talking about the Vista look, not the OSX look.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I seriously don't understand what the gripe with the XP Start Menu is, beyond that it's different from the ones in 9x and 2000.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Z98 wrote:I seriously don't understand what the gripe with the XP Start Menu is, beyond that it's different from the ones in 9x and 2000.
You can't remove the right side if you don't have classic start menu enabled. See below image. At least no one on Freewebspace.net forums knew how to remove that blank area =/ Some even were dazzled that I could remove the entire right side (but blank) with standard Windows XP start menu settings.

[ external image ]

Yes, that is NOT photoshopped/edited to be like that, I turned off everything that normally shows on the right side. (Help & Support, Control Panel, My Documents, etc.) But the reason I'd stay with the new one is because you can disable "show recent documents" in a GUI form. For the classic, you have to do it manually by adding an explorer policy for the current user via regedit.

Although, many people have different reasons for not liking the new start menu.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

My point exactly, I don't see what's wrong with the expanded menu. I find it rather convenient myself, to be able to bring up Explorer or the control panel or the run command.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Z98 wrote:My point exactly, I don't see what's wrong with the expanded menu. I find it rather convenient myself, to be able to bring up Explorer or the control panel or the run command.
The classic menu has the run command in it; it also has the settings group within it, so two of those three are covered on the top level.

Also, press Super (Windows Logo)+E to bring up explorer and Super+F to bring up Search. Super+D shows the desktop. Super+R brings up the run dialog. Super+U brings up the Utility Manager, this does not have a GUI version via the Control Panel (even classic.) Super+M also shows the desktop. Super+L goes to switch user. Super+Tab cycles the taskbar.

Post by avatarpatch »

If someone wanted to program something for skinning support with ReactOS I would not mind at all coming up with skins to go with it. Skinning the interface should not take up alot of resources. Its the special effects that vista etc all do that realy are resource hos. But as in vista and xp if you dont want it just disable it like most people do... One thing that I find is that yea a few years ago i did always turn off the themes in xp and vista becosue of the noticable performance boost... but with todays hardware I notice next to no difference anymore with it on or off.

Like I seid... If any of the people here who are not currently on the team would liek to try their hand at adding code for theme support I can come up with some killer custom themes.

Post by avatarpatch »

Ill actually start kicking around some ideas on a possible look just for fun.

Before I get flammed... about working on somehting that the devs themselves are not working on becouse the OS is not yet stable or that working out bugs is more important... let me just say this... I can not program... me working on a few design ideas for a look for ReactOS is harmless and I am just showing my support in my own way. If a programmer who wants this also wants to code support for this who is not currently on the programming team then that should be fine too. It is open source :).
Bond007s

Post by Bond007s »

I really like the idea of the Vista interface. It is so much better than the XP one. I have tried using Mac OS. We even had apple come out to our School District I work for and try and sell us Mac servers, MacOS client laptops and such. I really was not that impressed with the interface. I at first hated the Vista interface. However I now enjoy it especially that I do not need the run command anymore. I am a network technician and I find it quite nice.

My primary areas are in Network administration and web design. I find the Vista interface much easier for our clients at the school district. I also find it nicer for my family and such. Ever since SP1, I have been hooked, even before there was one hotfix that we requested from Microsoft and they sent it right away and that got one of the major areas completed. I especially love the way it works with copying files and replacing others. It actually works well with the replace all option checked.

I work with Virtualization on the server some here and there. I could one day see ReactOS as a terrific Server OS, however why not impliment theming in a familar Vista approach to not reprouch on compatibility and on the SERVER just turn it off just like Windows 2003 Server or Windows 2008 Server or even better yet allow the server core of no GUI approach of Windows 2008 and it looks like Windows 7.

I also do the mass majority of training in new technology in our department and after learning Vista closely to train others, I find it much more intuitive than to previous versions of the OS. If we really want ReactOS to take off then we need a pretty similar GUI. I am not apposed to additions and minor changes, but all in all it needs to be pretty similar and we can even allow the defauly of Windows Classic style if performance issues arise or by performing eventually a performance test similar to Vista.

Well, just my 2 cents...
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Bond007s wrote:I really like the idea of the Vista interface. It is so much better than the XP one. I have tried using Mac OS. We even had apple come out to our School District I work for and try and sell us Mac servers, MacOS client laptops and such. I really was not that impressed with the interface. I at first hated the Vista interface. However I now enjoy it especially that I do not need the run command anymore. I am a network technician and I find it quite nice.

My primary areas are in Network administration and web design. I find the Vista interface much easier for our clients at the school district. I also find it nicer for my family and such. Ever since SP1, I have been hooked, even before there was one hotfix that we requested from Microsoft and they sent it right away and that got one of the major areas completed. I especially love the way it works with copying files and replacing others. It actually works well with the replace all option checked.

I work with Virtualization on the server some here and there. I could one day see ReactOS as a terrific Server OS, however why not impliment theming in a familar Vista approach to not reprouch on compatibility and on the SERVER just turn it off just like Windows 2003 Server or Windows 2008 Server or even better yet allow the server core of no GUI approach of Windows 2008 and it looks like Windows 7.

I also do the mass majority of training in new technology in our department and after learning Vista closely to train others, I find it much more intuitive than to previous versions of the OS. If we really want ReactOS to take off then we need a pretty similar GUI. I am not apposed to additions and minor changes, but all in all it needs to be pretty similar and we can even allow the defauly of Windows Classic style if performance issues arise or by performing eventually a performance test similar to Vista.

Well, just my 2 cents...
I'm also a network administrator (plus I do programming and general IT stuff) and I am diametrically opposed to everything you just said. I like the MacOSX interface, I find the Vista interface LESS intuitive and uglier. I also dislike that it requires more in the way of system resources. On the plus side, my boss has banned me from upgrading any of our machines to Vista, which I'm happy to go along with.

I suggest that we become mortal enemies who will do battle until the end of time.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

This is why we are using classic Win2000 interface, with possibilty of skinning/ UI changes. It is generally easier to turn simple into complicated than the other way around.

Post by avatarpatch »

We can work on possible skin ideas... we dont need to be like Vista but we can take what we like from the different UIs from the different ssytems and make one great one. We dont need all the system hogg effects just a cool look. That should be just fine. Also it should always be the users choice to turn it on or off.