media player

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

FlyingIsFun1217

Re: media player

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Yeah, I didn't figure they did...

FlyingIsFun1217
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

MPC Homecinema (the new version of MPC) is freakin over 5 mb! Can anybody see how much the media player in OO is? because if its about a mb... wouldn't that be OK? I mean MPC-HC, could be in download! ... so yeah
florian

Post by florian »

I didn't want to suggest MPC Homecinema to be bundled with ReactOS because I am just a normal user without any development skills or technical knowledge. I can't judge such theoretical stuff.

And to my mind MPC (Homecinema) and vln are rather video-players - thererfore most people would probably prefer a second player, for instance Music Cube which is an opensouce alternative to winamp. Don't you think so? Should we then bundle one music and one video-player? Then what should we bundle, if we want to bundle something? It is too early to discuss that.

Anyway as I am using MPC for video and a second non-opensource music-player I would surely not use pre-installed, bundled players within ReactOS. I don't need anything bundled and by the way people who can't install a mediaplayer or two by their own, well those people won't change from MS WIndows to ReactOS.

I nearly forgot to say that their is a second MPC follower by clsid2 which is compared to the MPC Homecinema only bugfixing and updating some outdated libraries. This release is labeled as 6.4.9.1
swight

Post by swight »

One option may be to create some type of "distro" builder so that the computer that has the internet connection can create a CD with the apps they want pre-installed. Think SLAX had this capability at one time.
florian

Post by florian »

The other option is to use our Download or whatever its name is application after the installation of ReactOS. As long as ReactOS is reduced to a small OS (especially without movie maker and such stuff) I don't care what option is used to choose and install your favourite applications within ReactOS.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

But still some people are such, excuse me for saying this, but still are technotards and don't have a clue how to listen to music without the midiaplayer setup thing when they first click on a sound file!
cppm

Post by cppm »

OpenOffice is based on something called Universal Network Objects (UNO - the names because it was positioned as an alternative to DCOM, COBOL etc, but it never got anywhere 'cept OOo), and therefore the media playback functionality that there is will be built on that, it'll be hard work to strip down the dependencies. It'd be easier to write your own stripped down media player, if that's what you want.
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Hello.
Personally, I disagree with the idea to add a player like MPC or VLC or MPLAYER into ReactOS.
They are too heavy.
If there is the real need of a multimedia player, the solution should be different.
If you look into the MS DirectX SDK (which can be downloaded freely, if you are curious) there are two samples to try: one plays audio/video file, another one plays VCDs/DVDs.
All this stuff is done with with Directshow interface and it's made with just few Kilobytes.
In my opinion, this should be the road to take: write an extra small application which unify the tasks made by these two samples.
If you want another player, just install it, like you do on your regular Windows(TM).
Afterall, a discussion very similar to this one had been done many time for including a web browser.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

And probably it will happen again for bittorent client or other 3th party software.
florian

Post by florian »

Yes some discussions are always repeating...

Unfortunately I couldn't find the system requirements of VLC or MPC as this would be quiet interesting to compare with our aim of an OS with low system requirements (e.g. only 32 mb of ram).

Maybe Carlo Bramix idea is a good one?
fred02

Post by fred02 »

BOT_ev wrote:And probably it will happen again for bittorent client or other 3th party software.
It already did, search this forum :lol: . May be it should be put in the FAQ to avoid their proliferation.
While I too think that all the software should be left to distributions packagers (and even notepad and calc should be deselectable during installation), the Carlo Bramix's idea of using only the standard API for bundled software is very good.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Using the Windows API has been a requirement from basically the beginning. It hasn't done much to stop people from suggesting things written in everything from Gtk to Java.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Yes, and I guess that even putting all this into the FAQ will not prevent appearance of new threads like this one. :?
Will have to live with it.
fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

OpenOffice is Sun-funded. They might not like it that you took the media player out of OO and put it in ROS. If a media player is going to be included, it will probably be MPC. VLC has had security holes discovered lately.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

fdwhacker wrote:OpenOffice is Sun-funded. They might not like it that you took the media player out of OO and put it in ROS. If a media player is going to be included, it will probably be MPC. VLC has had security holes discovered lately.
OpenOffice is LGPL and ReactOS is GPL, which means that there would be no legal problems since both licenses are compatible.

Personally, I like VLC - but I would not suggest that it is bundled with ReactOS. Download! is good enough for me. I'd prefer it if ReactOS was kept as bare as possible, with any extra software (such as OpenOffice) only being included with third-party distro CDs.

Want an OS that is a lean, mean, fat-grilling machine? Grab yourself the original ReactOS boot .ISO from ReactOS.org and off you go.

Want OpenOffice, Firefox and VLC preloaded? Install the (third party) "OpeNT Pro" distro that some guy at your University was handing out.

Just as some versions of Linux are small and no-frills enough to fit on a few floppy disks and others are massive, multi-gigabyte media-centers with advanced video editing facilities available as soon as you install them, ReactOS will spawn a multitude of audience-specific distibutions.