Solution for those who want 0.3.5 to be released ASAP

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmoibenlepro

Solution for those who want 0.3.5 to be released ASAP

Post by cmoibenlepro »

0.3.5 was supposed to be released in April 2008... We are 2 months late! This is unacceptable! But the goal of this thread is NOT to complain but TO FIND SOLUTIONS to this very annoying problem. But I don't know how to code, so I thought about something else:

I will donate 25$ to ReactOS foundation if 0.3.5 is released before July 15th 2008.

I encourage other people on this forum to publicly bid on the amount they are willing to donate to have a faster release. I hope that by doing that, it will motivate our current developers.

But be aware that if you bid, you are morally bound to donate the amount you offered. That's fair.
woutervh

Re: Solution for those who want 0.3.5 to be released ASAP

Post by woutervh »

Hm, so what's the use of such a system?
Money before quality? Not a good evolution IMHO.
Remember you can always get the latest build from SVN...

Grtz,
Wouter
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

cmoibenlepro wrote:0.3.5 was supposed to be released in April 2008... We are 2 months late! This is unacceptable!
I agree. The devs should, at least, give one sentence on the main page of the website : "We are late because we didn't reach what we want for this release. Please do not ask when it will be ready."
cmoibenlepro wrote:But the goal of this thread is NOT to complain but TO FIND SOLUTIONS to this very annoying problem. But I don't know how to code, so I thought about something else:

I will donate 25$ to ReactOS foundation if 0.3.5 is released before July 15th 2008.
Assuming all the devs which are working on this project love what they do, I do not think this is a good way to go. ReactOS will contain the best code (the main, IMHO, difference with Windows's code) because our devs love what they do ! Not because they are paid for.

But, if you are trying to say that you agree to donate 25$ every month to pay one (or more) dev, working at full time... I agree with you.
cmoibenlepro wrote:I encourage other people on this forum to publicly bid on the amount they are willing to donate to have a faster release. I hope that by doing that, it will motivate our current developers.
I already made a donation when was the need of the actual server. It is true that I did not made another one since. But I would be happy to give 50$* per month to have one dev which will spend more time on ReactOS' code.
Please DO NOT misunderstand my post. I would help ReactOS by paying what is needed for a dev to live (food, electricity, clothes, home...) BUT it is not to pay this dev to work on it, (like I would pay a company to produce lines of code.)

*50$ is not enough of course ! But if 100 peoples do the same... It would become possible !
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

i have said that lots of people and i say it again: if you want fast releases THEN bring more developers or funders (like Ubuntu has) and so development speeds up and soon you can get beta version of ReactOS
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We have no real release Dates. April was a date we only would have been able to realzze if we would not had any problems, which we had.
(I hope my progressive tenses are the right ones :-P)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
_Russell_

Post by _Russell_ »

Lolo wrote:(food, electricity, clothes, home...)
You forgot coffee/caffiene, or in Geds or my case.. Tea :)

I think if you want a job done quicker, you help out. If you can't, pay for the helpers. If neither, just be patient. :roll:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Support the "Ban the chev" campaign today!
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

_Russell_ wrote:
Lolo wrote:(food, electricity, clothes, home...)
You forgot coffee/caffiene, or in Geds or my case.. Tea :)
Yeah! And if you add one yummy girl to the list I would learn C and windows internals to become a developer too.

Please, I think that a newsletter is really necessary now to stop this growing up posting about 0.3.5 release. Don't you know, guys, that there's a list of builds waiting to be tested? Go to http:/www.reactos.org/getbuilds and download the latest one.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Hey, here's an idea - how about something like a weekly updated blog which sums up what was done within the week and by who. People wouldn't be getting so impatient if they knew exactly what is going on.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Pesho wrote:People wouldn't be getting so impatient if they knew exactly what is going on.
People can watch this page.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

As I said. All talk here wont help to speed things up. We wont speed up the release process just to be attacked by n00bs because of dozens of bugs which could haven been fixed with a bit more time.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

At this point in time, I'm busy dealing with the internal issues and Samuel hasn't written a newsletter since the last three. We had another oldtimer appear for a bit but I don't know where he is. All things considered, my priority is to help fix the internal issues in the project first. Those are slightly more pressing than writing up an article where I have nothing to say at this moment.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

As I said. All talk here wont help to speed things up.
I do not want to talk uselessly... I offered cash.
If 19 other people do as I did and make an offer, then one (or many) developer(s) could get 500$.
just to be attacked by n00bs because of dozens of bugs which could haven been fixed with a bit more time.
Who cares?
I think if you want a job done quicker, you help out. If you can't, pay for the helpers.
Exact, that's what I offered.
if you want fast releases THEN bring more developers
Don't you think that money could attract new developers? And anyway, Reactos is not known that much, publicity created by frequent released could attract them too. Donation is a solution to both.

But I am not here to complain, I want to offer something. I ask other people on this forum to do the same, instead of complaining every day on other useless threads (e.g.: "is 0.3.5 ready? Will software/game X run on reactos? I really need it!!" ; This kind of crap)
if you are trying to say that you agree to donate 25$ every month to pay one (or more) dev,
I could maybe donate an amount at each release when it is released on time.
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

cmoibenlepro wrote:I will donate 25$ to ReactOS foundation if 0.3.5 is released before July 15th 2008.
Personally, I don't think that this is what we need for speeding up the release of a new version.
Instead, we need people that could help us to write and fix the code.
If you are not able to write code, then get an SVN build and test it.
Everywhere it has been written that you can get an SVN build if you want something newer to play with.
However, this is also useful for us: if you find some problems into those experimental releases, then you have the chance for contributing to the project by reporting the defects.
Some testing is always useful for developers and this is a task that everyone can do, even if you have not coding skills.
However, a donation is not a bad idea... for example, I don't know if the hosting of this site is free...

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Currently developers are coding just for kicks. With enough donations, some could work full time on ReactOS and be paid for their work.

That could really make a difference.
dreams

Post by dreams »

http://cia.vc/stats/project/ReactOS/.message/165fa52

i think it will be time to donate soon ;)