Can we expext a new release one of these days ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

steveh

install SVN

Post by steveh »

If you don't want to wait for 0.3.5, you should download one of the trunk nightly ISO's, or compile yourself the trunk downloaded with an SVN client, just as i do. I don't wait 6 months for an 0.3.5.

I prefer compiling nightly sources myself (moving rosapps into reactos/modules), because the nightly ISO's on reactos download server mostly don't integrate the "rosapps".
And updating my local SVN trunk from svn://svn.reactos.org on a regular base, uses less download ressources than downloading a complete nightly ISO each time.

Nightly builds are work in progress towards 0.3.5 or 0.4
As reactos 0.3.4, 0.3.5 and 0.4, is still alpha anyway, you don't take an extra risk using nightly code. :D
Med

Re: Can we expext a new release one of these days ?

Post by Med »

can't wait for 0.3.5 :roll:
JimGunn

Post by JimGunn »

RaptorEmperor wrote: It would be a pretty cruel irony if Microsoft didn't have to even raise a finger to kill this project. Would anyone care to explain what's going on?
Big money (the people who own Microsoft etc) have infiltrated folk into nearly every Open Source project.

These people are there to delay development, by being part of the development. They are to sabotage development whenever this can be done without anyone noticing or asking too many questions.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

What did I say about senseless speculation?
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

Big money (the people who own Microsoft etc) have infiltrated folk into nearly every Open Source project.

These people are there to delay development, by being part of the development. They are to sabotage development whenever this can be done without anyone noticing or asking too many questions.
Omg and Elvis is alive as well.
p.s. Beware from the aliens they could be dangerous too!!!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

JimGunn wrote:
RaptorEmperor wrote: It would be a pretty cruel irony if Microsoft didn't have to even raise a finger to kill this project. Would anyone care to explain what's going on?

If you have no Idea what you are talking about then STFU! Wine has Commercial Supporters too and is it closed Source in any way?? NO! Linux has Commercial Supporters and is it Closed?? NO!!! And the same way will Steven be our Supporter and support us with the money he earns by paying developers or simply the financial way. (perhaps, if you did not made him think about helping us once more with your gossip/lies and bullshit.) Steven already was a respected and skilled dev in our team in the past and I personally see a big chance for us in this step.

GreatLord said these "lies" in a state of abslute anger. I know this because i am a very temperamentful character too and I would have reacted almost the same way. Well I would not have told lies to harm the whole project, but the ppl who made me angry.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

I don't think JimGunn's post needs a response. It just looks to me like a badly placed joke, sort of a "heh, maybe Microsoft is placing people in the project to undermine it" sort of thing. It's not really fair to GreatLord, who AFAIU has worked hard on this project, and has probably been the most frequent blogger, but I don't think it was meant as a flame.
JimGunn

Post by JimGunn »

Bad assumption. On this topic, I definitely know what I am talking about.

Seems some of you boys need examples of sabotage:

Martin von Löwis created the original (read only) Linux NTFS driver back in 1995.

It was added to the Linux Kernel (2.1.74) in December 1997.

He added almost full write support in 1999 in the 2.4 series kernel (versions 1.x of the driver).

Microsoft agents were able to have the read/write NTFS support removed form the kernel by simply telling a never ending list of transparent lies.

The main lie was that NTFS write support was extremely dangerous to use.

This is obviously being used as a lie, as even if NTFS write support was extremely dangerous, simply fixing the code would render it safe.

But what happened,... instead of fixing the code, they tossed the kernel NTFS write support away.

Well, it wasn't tossed completely away. The REACTOS people fixed (whatever minor problems that there were) the NTFS kernel code and use it to this day.

Anton Altaparmakov rewrote the NTFS driver and removed all write support from it (versions 2.x). This deletion of the write code being "justified" by how "dangerous" this code was.

This new "improved" driver was added to the 2.5.11 kernel in April 2002.

That is, write support was totally deleted form the kernel in 2.5.11.

Crippled write support was again added in the 2.5.33 kernel.

This now essentially, read only driver, is what one still has in the 2.6.x kernels.

So this is the story as to how the Microsoft agents got NTFS write support deleted from the kernel.

To stop users from crying out for a NTFS write solution in the kernel, a new project to take the kernel code and turn it into a user-space driver was begun. It was figured that a Linux user-space driver would be much slower and not make it so obvious how bad Window's NTFS filesystem really is.

To see how successful this strategy of lies was,... consider that non-trivial write support was delayed until July 2006 when Szabolcs Szakacsits released his user-space driver, ntfs-3g, and that, to this day, Linux does not have a NTFS kernel driver.

Late in 2002 Red Hat & Microsoft agents had the read only NTFS support removed from Red Hat's kernels.Red Hat was the only major distribution to remove the read only NTFS support.

They used a number of lies to achieve this. The most amusing was that:

"NTFS read only support will corrupt your filesystem."

It seemed that any stupid lie was good enough. The Red Hat lies were even more stupid than Microsoft's. Apparently both of these companies think the average person is a total moron.
Last edited by JimGunn on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Err... why exactly are we going soooooo off topic on this?
Any way JimGunn do you have any references to that claim?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Err. Steven != Microsoft! He once even was our Team Coordinator. He WANTS TO HELP us.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
cppm

Post by cppm »

Don't worry, JimGunn is clearly an expert on filesystems.

Write our IFS support JimGunn! NTFS was so trivial you did it in your sleep... right?

Yeah, who needs the people who were working hard on NTFS-FUSE, everyone knows that NTFS-3G was something a developer pulled out of his posterior after scanning some golden code which he had acquired after daringly diving into the kernel CVS that was patrolled by evil hunter killer bots running windows. Despite the naysayers who mumble incoherantly about FUSE and kernel drivers, and something they call... trust...

Pass me some more mead, I want to hear the story of how the Kernel devs slew the three headed beezlebub they call bill gates

PS:
I can believe that... I guess that makes me a total moron.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

If anyone, JimGunn or not, posts any more lies which are stupid enough to be believed by the "normal kind" of ppl and could harm us, I will gift him with a banhammer.

Back to topic!

Tachikoma_Pilot

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

Read-only generally refers to something that can be read, but not written to or modified :/

I dont see how it can corrupt your file system :/

Anyhoo : Topic.
Its better to wait for something with some substance, rather a quick and easy thrill.
A bit like a woman :P
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

JimGunn wrote:

To a point I might have to agree with you.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Yes I remember most of this, I remember Alan Cox throwing a fit over some of this too. I even asked him what was going on and he told me more moronic bull shit like always.
Wow,
not bad jimgunn?
JimGunn wrote:Bad assumption. On this topic, I definitely know what I am talking about.

Seems some of you boys need examples of sabotage:

Martin von Löwis created the original (read only) Linux NTFS driver back in 1995.

It was added to the Linux Kernel (2.1.74) in December 1997.

He added almost full write support in 1999 in the 2.4 series kernel (versions 1.x of the driver).

Microsoft agents were able to have the read/write NTFS support removed form the kernel by simply telling a never ending list of transparent lies.

The main lie was that NTFS write support was extremely dangerous to use.

This is obviously being used as a lie, as even if NTFS write support was extremely dangerous, simply fixing the code would render it safe.

But what happened,... instead of fixing the code, they tossed the kernel NTFS write support away.

Well, it wasn't tossed completely away. The REACTOS people fixed (whatever minor problems that there were) the NTFS kernel code and use it to this day.

Anton Altaparmakov rewrote the NTFS driver and removed all write support from it (versions 2.x). This deletion of the write code being "justified" by how "dangerous" this code was.

This new "improved" driver was added to the 2.5.11 kernel in April 2002.

That is, write support was totally deleted form the kernel in 2.5.11.

Crippled write support was again added in the 2.5.33 kernel.

This now essentially, read only driver, is what one still has in the 2.6.x kernels.

So this is the story as to how the Microsoft agents got NTFS write support deleted from the kernel.

To stop users from crying out for a NTFS write solution in the kernel, a new project to take the kernel code and turn it into a user-space driver was begun. It was figured that a Linux user-space driver would be much slower and not make it so obvious how bad Window's NTFS filesystem really is.

To see how successful this strategy of lies was,... consider that non-trivial write support was delayed until July 2006 when Szabolcs Szakacsits released his user-space driver, ntfs-3g, and that, to this day, Linux does not have a NTFS kernel driver.

Late in 2002 Red Hat & Microsoft agents had the read only NTFS support removed from Red Hat's kernels.Red Hat was the only major distribution to remove the read only NTFS support.

They used a number of lies to achieve this. The most amusing was that:

It seemed that any stupid lie was good enough. The Red Hat lies were even more stupid than Microsoft's. Apparently both of these companies think the average person is a total moron.