Can we expext a new release one of these days ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

NW

Can we expext a new release one of these days ?

Post by NW »

Is there any hope ?...
cmoibenlepro

Re: Can we expext a new release one of these days ?

Post by cmoibenlepro »

When it's done.

By the way, you should remove the statements that you want to release a version every 2 months even if it's not polished. I would prefer a "we will try to release a version every 6 months", it would reduce expectations.

And if you want to keep the 2 months deadline, then release it after 2 months. Even if there are regressions.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

If you care about the angry noobs who tell us we cant even code a Sh**t because its soo easy to code a whole OS and ROS is so regressive and unstable, then we might do so. :P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
codau

Re:When it's done?

Post by codau »

I hope that it never will be done even if ReactOS 1.0 or 2.0 was out because in this way there always will be something to improve and new things to add. :lol:
dreams

Post by dreams »

cmoibenlepro wrote:When it's done.

By the way, you should remove the statements that you want to release a version every 2 months even if it's not polished. I would prefer a "we will try to release a version every 6 months", it would reduce expectations.

And if you want to keep the 2 months deadline, then release it after 2 months. Even if there are regressions.
We really want to release a version every 2 months, and we will do so in the near future. But we need a stable trunk for that, and that is why 0.3.5 is forcefully delayed. When trunk is stable it is much easier to release stable versions every 2 months. (well, stabler)
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

It's essentially the old, old saying:
On time. No bugs. Pick one.
I'm happy to choose the latter, especially since there are the SVN builds to play with in the meanwhile.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I'm not terably upset by the delays, but it would be good to have a moving prediction. Like it has been delayed and looks hard to fix, move the prediction to a month or 2 more or it has been delayed but doesn't look that hard, prediction moved to a weeks time. if need be keep moving the prediction several times as new issues arise.

in another way, if nobody complained about being late, where would be the insentive not to be :)
dark

Post by dark »

The developers seem to be a bit busy with the drama in the dev mailing list at the moment so it's hard to say if you can get an estimate.

*Since I don't want to sign up for an account with the mailing list: I think having a separate trunk that is only accessible by a program that does regression testing and merges only commits that pass could be a way to solve the problem, but I'm not looking into how possible this is at all though.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Drama is a bonus. Normal development pace is sustained, as you can see in everyday commits. We want 0.3.5 to be a special release, much better than previous ones. This is why blocker list is a bit ambitious.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

There is a program designed to run regression testing on trunk builds, but it's still not fully functional yet. Writing such a system isn't exactly easy.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Drama is a bonus. Normal development pace is sustained
Great Lord contributed a significant part of the code recently and now he is officially gone. Other devs are speaking of leaving the project and forking reactos source.

And now Reactos will turn commercial! You bet some people are furious.

You can't really say that Reactos is keeping its pace... It is currently in the process of breaking in parts.
Heis Spiter

Post by Heis Spiter »

GreatLord has left the project, that's a point. But no other dev did it.
ReactOS won't turn commercial. It's a FOSS ans it will remain a FOSS.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

No, cmonleighbpro. It is GreatLord, whose pride has been hurt so bad, he not only published his cry, but also started spreading FUD about ROS being turned into commercial product. Either GreatLord lied about it deliberately, or he has been lied about it, or he misunderstood sedwards completely. Either way this ended up very bad for him. As for ReactOS, we go on. The project has not fallen apart after Alex left, despite many panic voices as if it would, so GreatLord leaving ROS wont do much harm. Excuse me this comparison. Alex left for completely different reasons, and those who are on IRC channel or ros-dev know, that he remained friend of this project.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

I was poking around on the dev mailing list to see what might be holding up 0.3.5 and saw a bunch of bickering. I don't really know much of anyone here so I don't know what's going down or who's right or who's wrong or if anyone's right or wrong about this Aleksey-GreatLord beef. So I have a few questions.

With GreatLord gone, are there other people working on the code he was working on? From what I read, GreatLord contributed a lot of code to the project, but was kind of sloppy in how he did it, which started this beef. Would it have been economical for the project to have someone there to clean up after him, if you will?

Also, ReactOS is GPL, so the code couldn't be reclassified and sold under a closed source license, right? GreatLord saying something about pulling his code, "I deleted all code I have been working on so do not ask for it". Is that code already in ReactOS, and if so, how could he pull it out under the GPL?

I'm not a developer (I know C++, not C, and I'm not the greatest programmer to begin with) so I'm basically just a fanboy who fools around with every new release trying to test compatibility. I'm getting a little worried about what's going on with the developers. I've been keeping tabs on ReactOS for a few years now and I hope internal politics isn't tearing it apart like Freedows OS. It would be a pretty cruel irony if Microsoft didn't have to even raise a finger to kill this project. Would anyone care to explain what's going on?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Truth be told, I was supposed to clean up the spelling errors and such in his comments at least, but I got distracted by other stuff.

He didn't say anything about pulling his code, he basically meant he had deleted all the code he personally has.

This is an internal matter that we're dealing with. There isn't much to comment on besides the fact that internal communication is probably the weakest part of the project. Beyond that, let us handle the matter and try to avoid senseless speculation. We don't want this to get any more complicated.