ReactOS on VirtualBox

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rotten2theCore

ReactOS on VirtualBox

Post by Rotten2theCore »

Installed Reactos 0.3.4 I believe, onto VirtualBox 1.6.0, which is on a Fedora 9 host. It installed fine and was quick, about 5 min from 1st off CD to up and running. I went with 128MB RAM, originally 8MB VRAM, and originally a Dynamically Sized HDD maxing out at 4Gb. Due to stall outs of the install I went with a Fixed Sized HDD at 4 GB. I did the complete install and went to install additional software. Firefox just flashed by a box stating that it was doing the install, but nothing happened and further checking showed that nothing actually had happened. Thunderbird installed nicely and then I tried OOo only to get what looks like a ReactOS version of the BSOD. Now even after several reinstalls I'll get the BSOD even without doing anything. It also asks to install system drivers, which after poking around are the drivers for the north and south bridges. VBox creates and presents to the guest OS and Intel 440FX (Intel 82441FX Pentium Pro Processor to PCI bridge) and Intel 82371SB PCI to ISA bridge. The VGA seems to work fine (I believe it's a generic VESA compliant VGA interface), but if you guys could come up with the drivers for the chipset, I think that I and others could really give this OS a workout.
GoBusto

Re: ReactOS on VirtualBox

Post by GoBusto »

Hello there and welcome to the ReactOS forums.

I haven't used VirtualBox myself, but you might like to try installing one of the SVN development builds, since a lot of progress has been made since 0.3.4. From my own experiences with QEMU and VMWare, I know that Firefox 2 works just fine on the latest builds (Firefox 3 installs just fine but suffers from some graphical issues when it is run). Be warned that a few things, such as the Download! application, are not included with SVN builds, though.

It's also worth mentioning that I have sometimes had to restart ReactOS after installing Firefox before it would work. As for Open Office, there are a couple of important bugs related to it right now - see this page for all current major bugs. Here is the one related to OpenOffice.org 2.

I hope that this helps.
Rotten2theCore

Post by Rotten2theCore »

One problem with SVN it comes in 7z format and Linux does not know what 7z is. So I haven't been able to unpack the file. If I'm able to unpack the file what is it? Is it an iso file or source code that has to compiled and built followed by creating an iso? As far as an alternate to VirtualBox, I've downloaded the "free" VMWare Server and the VMWare Player. It's my understanding that I need the server to create the VM to include the guest OS install, which creates the VM image, which then can be "played back" on VMWare Player. The nice thing about VirtualBox is that it's all in one, create the VM, install the guest OS, and boot the guest. All in the same environment. I haven't tried QEMU, but just for S & G, I might try it. If you guys are able to write drivers for the Intel N & S bridges that VBox presents to the guest in the VM, that would be great, as I like the interface of VBox.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

.7z is a compressed archive like .zip or .rar http://www.7-zip.org/
Rotten2theCore

Post by Rotten2theCore »

Quoted from MadWolf ".7z is a compressed archive like .zip or .rar http://www.7-zip.org/"

Been there and downloaded. It says it's supposed to be a version for linux but it isn't. It'll run under wine but I was unsuccessful, it came up with an error. It just says that it encountered and error but didn't say what, and exited.
Rotten2theCore

Post by Rotten2theCore »

Correction to my previous post. It spits out the copyright info, then says "decoder error".
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

tip do not double post if no one has replied then edit your post

i have never seen this decoder error

what Linux distribucion are you using ??
if your distribucion has a package manager use the search and search for 7 zip or search for Xarchiver p7zip
It'll run under wine but I was unsuccessful
sounds like your wine is out of date or is not setup properly
i am using wine v 0.9.58 and wine doors
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Most distros come with their own archive managers don't they? get one of those modules for 7z that they have in their repo .. At least Ubuntu used to have that ..
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Rotten2theCore wrote:Is it an iso file or source code that has to compiled and built followed by creating an iso?
The SVN builds are just .ISO files that have been 7-zipped - no compiling of code required.

Incidentally, the *.vmdk hard-disk files that QEMU uses can also be used by VMWare Player, so you should be able to use the same virtual installation for both emulators, barring things such as different video drivers.

EDIT:
GreyGhost wrote:Most distros come with their own archive managers don't they? get one of those modules for 7z that they have in their repo .. At least Ubuntu used to have that ..
This is true, since I managed install the 7-Zip modules on Xubuntu a month ago when I wanted to run the latest SVN of ReactOS in QEMU.
Rotten2theCore

Post by Rotten2theCore »

In the future I will edit my post when I have a correction to make, however I did not notice that function. I am used to seeing an edit option on the message in the top right or at times at the bottom left where the "Post" option is.

I am currently running Fedora 9 and wine is version 1.0-rc3. I had previously made an unsuccessful attempt to install through my pkgmgr, since I thought the actual name of the app was 7z and did my search for 7z. Thanks to GoBusto, I realized that it was 7-Zip, so I tried different variants of that until I got "7zip" and installed that along with an available plugin. That did the trick, so I thank you all, MadWolf, GreyGhost, and GoBusto for your advice, and I'll let you know how it works under VBox. I also plan on playing around with VMware and QEMU as well.
Rotten2theCore

Post by Rotten2theCore »

Got the file unpacked and installed it in place of the 0.3.4. It seems the install software function is inactive, thus I am not able to do anything.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Rotten2theCore wrote:Got the file unpacked and installed it in place of the 0.3.4. It seems the install software function is inactive, thus I am not able to do anything.
I think that this is because Download! isn't included in SVN builds. Your best bet is to install software the usual way.

When using QEMU, I burn the Firefox 2 installation program to an ISO image using something like Infrarecorder and then insert said ISO file into QEMU as a CD-ROM. From there, I can boot into ReactOS, go to My Computer > D:\ > Firefox.exe and run the installer.

Once again, Firefox 3 doesn't seem to work atm.

EDIT: Also
You've done it again! Shame on you! :)
Rotten2theCore

Post by Rotten2theCore »

GoBusto wrote:
Rotten2theCore wrote:Got the file unpacked and installed it in place of the 0.3.4. It seems the install software function is inactive, thus I am not able to do anything.
I think that this is because Download! isn't included in SVN builds. Your best bet is to install software the usual way.

When using QEMU, I burn the Firefox 2 installation program to an ISO image using something like Infrarecorder and then insert said ISO file into QEMU as a CD-ROM. From there, I can boot into ReactOS, go to My Computer > D:\ > Firefox.exe and run the installer.

Once again, Firefox 3 doesn't seem to work atm.

Do you still have a copy of firefox2.x for windows? Can't seem to find it on Mozilla anymore (nor any less).

EDIT: Also
You've done it again! Shame on you! :)
Not to be a smarta$$, but, define double post? :)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Two post from the same user one right after another...
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Rotten2theCore wrote:Not to be a smarta$$, but, define double post? :)
This followed by this.