Vista Design possibly

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

~DEDEMASTER~

Vista Design possibly

Post by ~DEDEMASTER~ »

Hello is it possibly that reactos became a vista design looks like vixta-linux-design? Here are a pic of vixta:
[ external image ]
Vixta is an Linux OS. The functions are bad but the design is good. So my Question is, if there are plans to make reactos with the vixta-design
BOT_ev

Re: Vista Design possibly

Post by BOT_ev »

Nope.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

You can always make your own design for it by adding that later once it is supported!
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Nope.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

Haos wrote:Nope.

For example WindowsBlinds, or whatever... Wont that work?
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

kevintrooper wrote:
Haos wrote:Nope.

For example WindowsBlinds, or whatever... Wont that work?
It's better to make it not rely on another program though, and only rely on uxtheme.dll (Yes, there are standalone themes that only require a modded uxtheme.dll, but too few nowadays). Or are there no plans to allow a modded uxtheme.dll to be present in ROS?
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

The developers are pretty adamant about keeping ReactOS as close to Windows 2000 in appearance as possible. Before Vista was out, some folks on the forums were crazy about trying to make ReactOS have a Luna interface, and now some people demand Vista's Aero interface, and when Windows 7 comes out we'll hear people begging for that interface as well. The thing is that both Aero and Luna take more memory to run than the classic Windows 2000 appearance, and adding those to ReactOS would obligate the developers to match ReactOS's skin with every new release of Windows. The concept of ReactOS is that it looks like Windows and runs Windows code natively. Most people are familiar with the Classic interface above all else, and it is the least resource-hungry, so that's why the developers don't switch the appearance to a supposedly more "modern" interface. Also, the developers are stretched thin just getting ReactOS itself running, so worrying about how it looks is not a priority at the moment.

As far as I know, the restrictions on uxtheme.dll are just a restriction that Microsoft placed to control the issue of skinning. With that in mind, I personally don't see the harm in not having that restriction in ReactOS. If I remember correctly, the current ReactOS Explorer is due to be replaced later in development, so that would be an issue to address when the time comes.When it does, it might be a legitimate topic of discussion. I'm not a developer, though, so they'd be the ones to make a decision in regards to anything.
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

One thing that I can`t really understand is why people talk about themes when the OS itself is not stable and useful yet. There is new shell coming and so many other things to be done before we can even start to think about skins and that kind of stuffs.
SdC

Post by SdC »

BOT_ev wrote:One thing that I can`t really understand is why people talk about themes when the OS itself is not stable and useful yet. There is new shell coming and so many other things to be done before we can even start to think about skins and that kind of stuffs.
The same reason why some people think a 15 year old Volkswagen Golf Diesel is instantly a race monster when you put alloy wheels and a big spoiler on it....BLING!
Vorg

Post by Vorg »

I was trying to help someone change a file display setting on his vista system. Stay with w2k UI. Vista is crap
cppm

Post by cppm »

The decision to not develop a theme to emulate the look and feel of specific MS products, and stick with the classic windows widgets, is more than a personal preference of the developers.

Firstly It avoids possible litigation from MS, secondly it makes it easier for users to use their own themes, and thirdly it's the easiest way to create a windows like OS - you'll notice that the classic widgets are the only ones available in every version of windows since 95, through to Vista/Server 2008. They are the widget standard, and all else is icing to the cake.

It just makes sense to keep specific themes out of the ReactOS codebase.

Don't worry though, theming support is on the list of things to do; it's just it's a very big list and there are quite a few gribbly nasty things at the top. :?
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

it seems obvious to me, create support for uberskin application into the new explorer,its light,its freeeware,i dont see any downside?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
is uberskin gpl ??
is it written in c ??
where do i get uberskin ??
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

MadWolf wrote:hi
is uberskin gpl ??
is it written in c ??
where do i get uberskin ??
http://www.msfn.org/board/UberSkin-t110483.html

We don't know. You'd have to ask. It's also a Win98/ME Skinning Engine, not NT. In fact, the documentation has a guide on how to port XP Theme Data to it (Logging into XP, then logging into 98.)
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

"It's also a Win98/ME Skinning Engine" it supports 16 bit and 32 bit, i just installed it for fun( yes i know it wont work ) and it installed ok : http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6408/uberrosng3.jpg