media player

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevintrooper

media player

Post by kevintrooper »

Ok. Remember this is just a suggestion, and I dont know much about source code so here I go: Could you take the media player out of Open Office and use it for ReactOS?
LRN

Re: media player

Post by LRN »

Native NT-system (that includes Windows and ReactOS) media player should use DirectShow and DirectSound. ReactOS doesn't have any of this at the moment. GStreamer could be a solution...but i doubt.
Using self-sufficient players (VLC, mplayer) is possible, but it's better to let user install anything he/she wants.
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

kevintrooper wrote: Could you take the media player out of Open Office[...]
Has Open Office a media player????
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

elhoir wrote:
kevintrooper wrote: Could you take the media player out of Open Office[...]
Has Open Office a media player????

Yes.

Betaluva wrote:i just noticed that open office has a media player now, heres a shot of me playing a avi file:Image
SEE?
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

wow, i didnt know that....

and i am using OpenOffice for years... LOL
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

I would imagine that after all of the different critical components needed for WMP are implimented, it would be wise to have somebody work on a ROS-specific one, either from scratch (like the calculator) or reverse-engineer the actual WMP one (although that would be one hell of a daunting task).

FlyingIsFun1217
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

l LOVE vlc, i think there is no need to develop another media player hehe
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

VLC is written in wxWidgets (which half the developers hate), with a new interface coming in Qt (less than half but still not particularly respected), which automatically disqualifies it for consideration, even if we were looking for a media player. It also manages to fudge certain subtitles too. If someone is really serious about wanting a media player included, you're gonna have to write it yourself or actually find an open source one written using the Windows API.
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

well, ok, i agree with that, but since vlc runs on Windows, i think it is the MP i will have installed hehehe
LRN

Post by LRN »

Media Player Classic runs on Windows. Surprised? Media Player Classic is the clone of Windows Media Player (one of the old versions). Surprised again?
Oh, and i forgot to say the most important thing:
hehehe
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

elhoir wrote:well, ok, i agree with that, but since vlc runs on Windows, i think it is the MP i will have installed hehehe
I use to like VLC, but since I have kept it off my system. It has been replaced with the correct DirectShow Filters, Spliters and now I can play many more file types through media player than I could through VLC. With a reg script I have also enabled thumbnails for all these files types and filters, the work in related programs, Movie Maker, DVD Maker and show in the library. I do not intent on moving back as it works much better, is part of the system and is very neat and easy.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

LRN wrote:Media Player Classic runs on Windows. Surprised? Media Player Classic is the clone of Windows Media Player (one of the old versions). Surprised again?
Oh, and i forgot to say the most important thing:
hehehe
MPC is pretty good, but it has not been updated fot 2 years and is written in C++ and is not part of "core libraries" so it does not qualify for inclusion.
LRN

Post by LRN »

MPC is the best approximation of WMP you could get around here, if it doesn't qualifies, then no player does.
This discussion is based on assumption that developers are willing to build the media player in ReactOS no matter what (which is not true of course).
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

I hope they will not include any player in ReactOS. I can`t understand when people want media player, browser, torrent client etc. in the OS. What is that ... distro or OS ? When ReactOS is stable enough you can make your own distro but imho the OS itself should be clear and lightweight. Some small basic useful tools (like calc, regeditor, downloader etc.) are enough.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

It's worth mentioning that I installed Windows Server 2008 recently and it didn't have any sort of media player bundled with it. Users who will be running ReactOS on a desktop machine might like the idea of having a media player/torrent app/etc. included but please remember that ReactOS is not always going to be used on desktop machines. I myself plan on using it to run a file server.

If you want to have a media player installed then there are several solutions:

A) Find/Create a distro that includes some extra software preinstalled.
B) Install it yourself either manually or via Download!

It might be a nuisance for you to have to install all of the software you want every time you install ReactOS on a new machine but it is also just as much of a nuisance to have to uninstall software you do not want every time you install ReactOS on a new machine. Download! is a sensible compromise.