ReactOS 0.3.5 delayed...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

ReactOS 0.3.5 delayed...

Post by nute »

I have gotten a post 0.3.4 SVN build to work, but without the downloadable
add-ons it is hard to test if Diablo II still works. I noticed that the pull-down
menus in ReactOS device manager and the trees in Reactos Explorer are
still buggy.

It was originally going to be April and then April became May and now it is June.
Maybe an OSS project can go at any pace, but to be relevant ReactOS needs
to be stabilized reasonably soon. I'm already having problems with the
disappearance of PS/2 keyboards and mice. Older systems that ReactOS would
be best for are becoming harder to support. Newer systems are 64 bit and there
is the very real danger that new PC hardware will only work with Vista.

I guess the question is, what's going wrong?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: ReactOS 0.3.5 delayed...

Post by EmuandCo »

Simple answer: NOTHING goes wrong. Read the ML and SVN Commit messages and you know whats happening.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
SdC

Post by SdC »

nute wrote:... but to be relevant ....
to you :roll: .
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We lack your programming skillz nute. PLS join and fix ROS.

Or better, pls provide ReactOS 1.0 patch. Only then we`ll release.
_Russell_

Post by _Russell_ »

You can't complete an operating system in 5 minutes..

ReactOS is still buggy because parts of it are incomplete, bugs appeared elsewhere when correctly implemented code has been introduced, hacks introduced to get stuff working have broken other things etc.. Surely you know this by now.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Support the "Ban the chev" campaign today!
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I think there will possibly be a release by the end of this month.

As usual, "when it's done" there will be a release. :wink:
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You really need to stop thinking we're on any set schedules. The proposed release dates are basically used as guidelines for when I start bugging the developers to work on their changelogs and when the developers themselves start quashing blocker bugs. They do not imply we absolutely must get something out by a set date.
hefner

Post by hefner »

hey , there is a discussion like this in the german forum. A consents in it is, if no release date is set, no one has a reason to write this (sh..)

I mean don't make a release date announcement and dont set yourself under pressure.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Why? I love the aura of waiting, like during the christmas eve.... Then... Sorry kids, Santa is delayed:>

Seriously, we try to keep ourselves under a kind of a schedule, as it helps with keeping team disciplined and in shape... Still we have several issues that make releasing ROS everytime, on schedule, quite difficult. Not counting random issues popping in/out from time to time.
Vorg

Post by Vorg »

If you don't post an "ETA" of some kind then instead of "will it be on time" or "it's late", you get "what is the release date?". I have been in a lot of beta games and when devs try not to say when there is a big push for them to give a date. It's a no win. People who have never coded or skimed through programing for dummies don't understand that bugs or fixed when they are found, code is done when it is done. If you loose your keys or some other item, You can not say at what time you will find them. You will know when you will find them ONLY after you have found them.
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

Vorg wrote:If you don't post an "ETA" of some kind then instead of "will it be on time" or "it's late", you get "what is the release date?". I have been in a lot of beta games and when devs try not to say when there is a big push for them to give a date. It's a no win. People who have never coded or skimed through programing for dummies don't understand that bugs or fixed when they are found, code is done when it is done. If you loose your keys or some other item, You can not say at what time you will find them. You will know when you will find them ONLY after you have found them.

And I would dare to add to that to say, if it were a corporation, just because the code is done doesn't mean the project is done-it would have to go through QA to shake it down before release to the general public (assuming said corporation *had* a QA dept.). Us QA guys just love it when you developers take your time-more time for us to kick our heels up on the desk :lol:
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

Especially when the project is open source and devs don`t get money for their code.
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

I already have hardware and software that only works in Vista.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

ReactOS will remain compatible with NT based OSs .. and if someone needs a reminder then Vista too happens to be NT based .. implies ROS will remain binary compatible to Vista .. As a matter of fact ROS already has a few Vista specific ApIs afaik ..

Now for "My Opinion"
Hardware which runs ""ONLY"" Vista will go outa business in pretty short time IMO .. So .. no problemm as such ;)
Regards GreyGhost
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

when we did not have a guide line for time plan for a release
we got mail and allot complains, we we did put up one that was 2 release each year people compain it was to few release
under 0.2.x serie we where avail do release 2 month or 3 moth same for 0.3.x serie
now u demain we release something that we think is not ready to be release
we have prode getting stuff working better in each release
and we have change how we doing release instead for branch, our project leader tells us now it is time todo a release so we start looking in trunks what have got broken and what we want in the release so everthing are being fix in trunk, that mean more stable trunk and better release so the release does not got behine with 2-3 months works as it done in pass.