Article about ReactOS at PCMagazine

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Angelus

Article about ReactOS at PCMagazine

Post by Angelus »

There's an interesting reference column at PCmagazine in this link talking about ReactOS.
inclusivedisjunction

Post by inclusivedisjunction »

It's not so much about ReactOS as operating systems in general. More of a "friendly reference."
tomleem

'ReactOS is a great idea'

Post by tomleem »

"But I digress. ReactOS is a great idea. Check it out at http://www.reactos.org ."
I agree with him on this point. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
elhoir
Test Team

Re: 'ReactOS is a great idea'

Post by elhoir »

tomleem wrote:"But I digress. ReactOS is a great idea. Check it out at http://www.reactos.org ."
I agree with him on this point. 8)
I dont agree when they call ReactOS only an idea. :-P
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I would have to disagree totally about the registry, the registry is a fantastic idea and saying it doesn't mater if programs waist disk space!!! If you give me a 10 TB hdd I will still fill it and will still want any programs to use the least disk space possible, if it needs a lot of space then fair enough but saying it is fine to just waist disk space is a bad attitude in my opinion. and the suguestion to make copy after copy of DLLs defeats the purpose of having comman DLLs in the first place!
cppm

Post by cppm »

The registry is in some ways a pretty good idea, and in others a bad one at the same time.

What would be the logical extension of the registry model into the modern age would be to turn it into a proper relational database, with proper users and access control for starters.

Having a half hearted database makes for the ugly system that dvorak complains about. I don't know about any changes in vista...
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Could these posts moved to this topic http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5493 ?
(And perhaps a link added to the press page?)
fred02

Post by fred02 »

cppm wrote:What would be the logical extension of the registry model into the modern age would be to turn it into a proper relational database, with proper users and access control for starters.

Having a half hearted database makes for the ugly system that dvorak complains about. I don't know about any changes in vista...
It was broken into 3 smaller files, but other than that it is still a mess with all the backward compatibility it has to drag. As for a real database, don't expect to have MS using anything standard, like SQLite, they will do it their way. It best we can expect Access, at worst full fledged SQL Server, but I digress :twisted:
Between the huge single registry and a myriad config files all over the places (a la X11/*nix) I would still go for separate files because they are ascii text, you can google them when lost and restore individually (well, if you made a backup copy, that's it :wink:).
Vorg

Post by Vorg »

No way! the registry is the worst part of windows. It makes all forms of maintance a PTA. You can no longer just move programs to another place on your drive like you could with dos and you can't really even upgrade/redo your OS without a FULL reinstall of every bit of software. With dos you could just install the new dos and not even worry about the rest. Need to move to a bigger drive? copy everything over and do a sys d:, then move d drive to c:. Need to move just a few programs to a new drive? just move it. Backup selective programs and latter just copy them back to the drive. Utils that needed things done at boot? very simple, add a line or 2 to AutoExec.bat or CONFIG.SYS. If a new driver was causing problems, rem the entry in CONFIG.SYS.

It is possible to get back to that level of simplisity. Look at what a registry has in real life. basicly just your name and if it's a hotel the room you are in which would amount to the path of the program. Not your whole life histroy. A proper registry would only need 1 line per program and very little info. Force all the rest of a prgram or driver into it's only folder tree.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Vorg: how much do you know about NT? Is there anything apart from what you`ve been told by Penquinistas?

Registry is at least safe from unauthorized off-system access, unlike ETC, that can be easily edited from NT running proper IFS driver.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Haos wrote:Registry is at least safe from unauthorized off-system access, unlike ETC, that can be easily edited from NT running proper IFS driver.
Only superficially, there are linux livecds to reset NT passwords.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Have you got an idea how is it done?
cppm

Post by cppm »

Vorg wrote: It is possible to get back to that level of simplisity. Look at what a registry has in real life. basicly just your name and if it's a hotel the room you are in which would amount to the path of the program. Not your whole life histroy. A proper registry would only need 1 line per program and very little info. Force all the rest of a prgram or driver into it's only folder tree.
Unfortunately that is down to app behaviour

This is another difference between *nix and NT, NT is more geared towards XYZ random software being run on it, wheras *nix is at it's absolute best when everything is tuned to work together, and packaged in unison.

Or at least that's the way that I see it... :P
Vorg

Post by Vorg »

Haos wrote:Vorg: how much do you know about NT? Is there anything apart from what you`ve been told by Penquinistas?

Registry is at least safe from unauthorized off-system access, unlike ETC, that can be easily edited from NT running proper IFS driver.
Is safe from being fixed when it gets screwed up and just turning the computer on and letting windows boot can do that!
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Vorg: only if you are running fluky or overclocked hardware and data corruption happens during the boot. Even then, you may restore the previous registry copy.