opening folders in the same window

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

user222

opening folders in the same window

Post by user222 »

Why can't the ReactOS Explorer open folders in the same window when you're using the MDI interface? You have to switch to the SDI interface if you want to open folders in the same window.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

My 2 biggest pet peeves with WINDOWS explorer defaults:

1. spatial views
2. opening new folders when navigating explorer
Go Huskers!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

MadRat wrote:1. spatial views
What else would you want, temporal views? Please explain "spatial" in this context.
user222

Post by user222 »

mf wrote:
MadRat wrote:1. spatial views
What else would you want, temporal views? Please explain "spatial" in this context.
I think he means "no sidebar". (Notice the left side of the Explorer window, with the folder tree.)
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

'spatial view' is each folder opening in its own window.

GNOME recently made that the default in Nautilus and really pissed off a lot of their users.
"People do have a real life." -- w3seek

Guess that means I'm not a person :-D
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Spatial in GNOME is...

1. Large Icons view
2. Each folder opens in its own process

Literally speaking, spatial view means all folders have their own "space" around them.

I prefer a slimmed down view, no side panel, listed objects, status bar enabled, all files shown regardless of hidden/system flag, and file extensions always shown. Occassionally I flip it into a detail mode, just to quickly sort versions.
Go Huskers!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Ah, right. Gnome. On linux the only two filemanagers I use are bash and mc ;). On Windows, I prefer this view:

[ external image ]

Of course with all files shown, etc. Filename and filesize are basically the only things I need to know. Sometimes I sort by date modified, but that's it. The MS Explorer could definitely go with some improvements tho.

On to the subject of ReactOS, I'm afraid Martin is going to have to step away from his Win3.11 File Manager model at least user-choosable. I think when it comes to making something solid, people are going to have to look at free file managers like A43 as well.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

mf, you like Angelic Layer?

Anyway, on Win2k I use 2xExplorer, which gives you one tree view and two panes for displaying files, among many other options.
It's a setup which makes sense to me, because there is only one tree with (sub-)folders, but many folders, some of which you want to keep open for longer periods of time, even while you're browsing through other folders.

Before I used 2xExplorer I used to have 2 Windows Explorer windows open. Madness :)
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

mf wrote:Ah, right. Gnome. On linux the only two filemanagers I use are bash and mc ;). On Windows, I prefer this view:

( see above post )

Of course with all files shown, etc. Filename and filesize are basically the only things I need to know. Sometimes I sort by date modified, but that's it. The MS Explorer could definitely go with some improvements tho.

On to the subject of ReactOS, I'm afraid Martin is going to have to step away from his Win3.11 File Manager model at least user-choosable. I think when it comes to making something solid, people are going to have to look at free file managers like A43 as well.
I like that view too, however i show that all file extensions are shown, and that system files aren't hidden and sort it by extension in the details view (i rarely use aliases/shortcuts and spend a lot of time manipulating stuff in explorer).
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Elledan wrote:mf, you like Angelic Layer?
Sure. I think I watched the anime in the hot summer of 2002 :).
Floyd wrote:I like that view too, however i show that all file extensions are shown, and that system files aren't hidden and sort it by extension in the details view (i rarely use aliases/shortcuts and spend a lot of time manipulating stuff in explorer).
Yeah, like I said, I also show extensions, all hidden files, system files etc. I don't really need to sort by extension tho, I can usually find my files pretty well (even though I whack most of my files in the partition root without sorting).
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

mf wrote:
Elledan wrote:mf, you like Angelic Layer?
Sure. I think I watched the anime in the hot summer of 2002 :).
Wai! I never thought I'd meet another fan :D
[..] I can usually find my files pretty well (even though I whack most of my files in the partition root without sorting).
Sane people keep their partition root as clean as possible ;)
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Elledan wrote:Sane people keep their partition root as clean as possible ;)
*cough* http://www.demonsofinsanity.com *cough*
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

mf wrote:
Elledan wrote:Sane people keep their partition root as clean as possible ;)
*cough* http://www.demonsofinsanity.com *cough*
Ah... in that case nevermind ^_-