New Shell

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Correct term for a project not in development in the open source world is inactive project. Use the word abandoned gives people the wrong idea. ie Licence is still enforceable even that development is not under way. Most abandoned stuff the enties that could enforce the licence are 100 percent no more or have willing give up the right to protect it. This is just not true for GPL LGPL and many other open source licences.

I would say start with its open source relation. I would not be past asking Utbox for the source either. I though there was some guides around. Currently on limited speed so really cannot search around masively for them.

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i have had a look at utbox http://utbox.weebly.com/ you extract and then run INSTALL.cmd and if you do not have the fonts installed the utminfontspack.exe that adds fonts to you're and a reg entry

so if you can add files to the livecd and add merge the utminfontspack.reg into the livecd registry then you may be able to use utbox as you default live cd shell

meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

My error... inactive project.

@ Z98, PsyDonia, MadWolf... Many thanks, I'll attempt to look in those directions.

If there are anymore ideas, directions (or solutions) 'to look into and/or explore' (at least simple ones) nothing but gratitude. Cheers...
Last edited by meridian.blue on Sun May 04, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

b4dc0d3r

Suggestions

Post by b4dc0d3r »

meridian.blue wrote:If there are anymore directions (at least simple ones) nothing but gratitude. Cheers...
Suggestion, no details. Also, I believe the "new shell" (explorer-new) in ROS is waiting for some shell APIs to be fixed/finished, so other shells might not even work, so good luck there. Also, I'm not suggesting in any way that this alternative shell would be the official one, but if you wanted to update your own live CD, here's how one might do it. It's just an ISO, so you can edit it and then burn it.

Think about what has to happen for an installed program: registry updates, new/updated files, and perform those on the Live CD. It will probably take some experimentation - get it running in ReactOS, then see if you can manually install it on a clean ROS (copy files, update registry, without using the installer). If so, then do that to the ISO.

Use one of those snapshot tools to see what kind of registry/file changes it makes when you install it on a clean system (a fresh install in a virtual machine would be perfect). The program would need those things to be in the live CD's registry/filesystem. Probably it's just one change - set the default shell to this exe instead of explorer.exe. Then take the install folder and merge it into the live CD. There may be a setup script that runs after ROS is installed and reboots, that's a good place to put any regsvr32 calls that need done, instead of merging the hive directly. Or other updates.

==

also, oiaohm, I have found the same problems with many shells - "based on" some other shell, but no source code. Very frustrating, although I didn't want the code badly enough to actually go request it.

While I'm on the subject, litestep was frustratingly difficult to figure out - as if they made the website(s) impossibe to figure out. Much better to be organized with "for users", "for theme creators", "for developers" sections. I realize people have different opinions, but many of these websites for alternative shells seem to be poorly designed or intentionally misleading. But hard to complain about something to an inactive project...

meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

@ b4dc0d3r... Thanx a bunch... Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows (UBCD4Win based on BartPE) 'appears' to have ability to install programs (a temporary registry?) maybe the same is possible with ROS 'live' cd. Utbox runs as a app if not installed (unfortunately without replacing explorer, which may likely create overhead) but as a trade-off maybe could still be useful, by using a shortcut or batch, to at least cause the blackbox executable to automate. If it works, maybe that's a motivation for going further. Perhaps, attempting to install Utbox and trying to save the 'live' registry snapshot? I'm interested in the Utbox/ROS 'live' combo because I like my coffee 'green' (maybe this thin client, cowloop, usb/raw application?)...

http://www.linutop.com/linutop2/linutop2.en.html
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/artigo/

As for litestep... I stopped using it because it caused stability problems on my system. And yes, the website/shell was a handful to negotiate.
Last edited by meridian.blue on Mon May 05, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.

skycaptain

bb for win is perfect idea

Post by skycaptain »

Hi. I am new in this forum.. I test utBox and other bblean and I must say all this projects are great.. i love Win Xp+blackbox combination.. Will be nice when ReactOS who wants be Windows compatible has support of this explorer replacement too!!! not as default but as alternative shell...

sory for my bad english...

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

meridian.blue in time live cd's like that will be possable. Its having a copy on write registry.

Its not exactly temporary int of registry is on disk then its copied to ram where it can be altered. And ram goes by by when its shutdown.

At this stage we install in virtual machines for testing applications reduces ramdisk and other issues being mixed up with failures.

Alpha stage development you target things that are most need and live cd that can have applications added on fly is not most need.

meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

@ oiaohm... Cheers. Hmmm... did not give much thought to that... this adds a whole new dimension (oh, how I desperately wish I were a coder... I just don't have the required brain cells). If I knew of a way to attempt a 'live' combo (Utbox/ROS) I'd do it. Is there anyone out there with the skill set to do this?

PsyDonia

Post by PsyDonia »

I did try in the fast to add UTBox to one liveCd.
But it didn´t work.
But I should give it a new try When I have time.

but I did try UTbox on my win computer.
and I don´t like it.
as many other shell replacement.
it don´t show all Systray icons.
I have 9 app in systray.
but in UTbox it only shows 4.
Geoshell and many other do the same.
the only one I test that works best with systray icons.
was aston but that is not free only trial.
so that was not an option.

meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

@ PsyDonia... Good Luck. I'll be watching for that post.

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

ReactOS 0.3.4

download utbox to you ReactOS hd
utbox_v15.exe self extracting
unzip using winrar
open utbox folder and and copy the contents in to a new folder and name it utbox2
copy gdiplus.dll from to system32 folder to system folder
open utbox\addons and run utminfontspack.exe
then run blackbox.exe

if things have worked you will get one of 3 errors one the system crashes 2 it can not find gdiplus.dll or error plugins\bbpager.dll the plugin you are load does not exist or can not loaded and the system crashes

http://www.reactos.org/paste/index.php/947/
Last edited by MadWolf on Fri May 09, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsyDonia

Post by PsyDonia »

if this was to me.
So we are alking about on a Live CD not on HD install.

MadWolf wrote:ReactOS 0.3.4

download utbox to you ReactOS hd
utbox_v15.exe self extracting
unzip using winrar
open utbox folder and and copy the contents in to a new folder and name it utbox2
copy gdiplus.dll from to system32 folder to system folder
open utbox\addons and run utminfontspack.exe
then run blackbox.exe

if things have worked you will get one of 3 errors one the system crashes 2 i can not find gdiplus.dll or error plugins\bbpager.dll the plugin you are load does not exist or can not loaded and the system crashes

http://www.reactos.org/paste/index.php/947/

Then Live iso didnt work for me.
try it only in vmware.
So maybe muutbox iso can work.
When I have time I gonna test it not on vmware restart my computer and test it.

cppm

Post by cppm »

ooh, from what i've heard wine has been working on a gdiplus implementation

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

i forgot to say this shell does not work and i was using installation CD not the Live CD and i did not use the copy gdiplus.dll from to system32 folder to system folder i download it off the web

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You should try HEAD trunk rather than 0.3.4 as we are nearing towards 0.3.5 and the former is quite outdated.