New Shell

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PsyDonia

New Shell

Post by PsyDonia »

is it possible to use another shell if we/I want like geoshell or litestep or something else.
If I want to replace explorer.exe.
or is it not possible right now.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Its as possible as in Windows. If the new Shell runs in ROS or not is written on another paper. :-P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

Few months ago I tried bunch of (+-10) alternative shells in reactos. none worked.
If I have some spare time I'll try it again and post some results.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

As they were probably requiring uxtheme, i would be really surprised if any would work at all.
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

I choosed really small and lightweight ones that don't hack much in the os. And non of them needed uxtheme. I'll post a list when I conect my second hdd.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Try them again within virtual machine, as a debug output is required. Without it we wont have any idea what went wrong.
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

I'm 'not' sure if this is the right thread or the right question but here goes...

What would I need to do to get the live cd to default with utbox?
Last edited by meridian.blue on Sun May 04, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Can you rephrase the question so its not a gramathical monster? And wth is utbox?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It's another alternative shell. While there's a way to change the default shell when booting into a cmd shell, I don't know if the same trick would work for other graphical shells. For that matter, I don't even know what API it uses.

Haos: Breathe.

meridian: Try to make sure to include at least general background info when you ask a question.
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

Can you rephrase the question so its not a gramathical monster? And wth is utbox?

Sure thing, I don't want to get beaten up... Utbox is a Windows shell that replaces explorer.exe... It is based on Blackbox Lean for Windows, which was inspired by Blackbox for Linux. I would like to use it as a default shell on the ROS live CD and I'm not sure if it can be done or what it would take, either now or in the future and whether I would be able to do it (I'm just a power user). Normally, it has to be installed, then the system is logged off or rebooted to use it. I would like to use it, as a persisent shell replacement. My only experience with this kind of thing (at least a simple way of doing it) is Slax (a 'live' modular slackware based linux cd) using the MySlax modulator, to create/add a module that would automatically install the app, every time at boot up. If Utbox could be used I'd like it to persistently install and automatically run at startup. I've never done BartPe style slipstreaming but if it could be done that way I'd attempt it.
Last edited by meridian.blue on Sun May 04, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyDonia

Post by PsyDonia »

I don´t know if it can be that simple as only open the iso.
replace the explorer.exe with the one you want to use.
and also put in the other folder and that that is needed.
or is it an setup file so it must be installed. and must use some reg stuff.
otherways.
for windows there is some PEregedit that can edit offline regedit.
But I don´t really know if it can work on reactos iso.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok Lets follow the tree of that.

utbox states its licence is freeware. They also state there program is based on bblean.
http://utbox.weebly.com/

Now from bbLean http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/
bbLean and bb4win are free software, released under the GNU General
Public License (GPL version 2 or later), with an extension that allows
linking of proprietary modules under a controlled interface. This means
that plugins etc. are allowed to be released under any license the author
wishes.
Ok no where on there site do I see the source to bblean bit that utbox are using.

Now that is on course useful for making something work since it if does not you can look at the code that caused it to fail on both sides.
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

Ok no where on there site do I see the source to bblean bit that utbox are using.

My error... Utbox is based on bbclean. bbclean and bblean are forks of BB4Win. Also I'm not sure but it appears bblean development is halted (abandonware?).
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

No such thing as abandonware when it comes to LGPL and GPL licensed stuff.

Record for a project in open source returning from the grave was 16 years latter. So its really hard to say that something is abandoned in open source. Best you could say is its currently having a shortage of developers.

Even that development might have halted licence would still be as solid as ever. Worst case is if Author transferred rights to FSF. Many years latter of no development can you be sued for breach of licence.

Many Linux Distros have been caught out by GPL when they have been directly built from other distros. You are ment to provide a way to get the source and hold the source yourself. Its GPL licence clause insurance. If you are distributing the binary you are really ment to have the source as well.

It is normally classed as good conduct if you provide program for download provide source for download as well. Even that GPL allows you to charge for shipping a disk with the source on to a person.
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

My error... (abandoned project?) If there were a way to get Utbox to work (at a least simply) I would give it a shot. I'm just not sure if it's possible. It seems do-able in theory perhaps. Any help in this regard would be a lifesaver for me.