The next version of ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Should 0.3.6 be a bug fixing release?

Poll ended at Fri May 09, 2008 5:11 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 28

aicommander
Developer

The next version of ReactOS

Post by aicommander »

I think that the next ReactOS version (0.3.6) should be mainly a bug fixing release. A very large amount of open bugs have accumulated in bugzilla that haven't been touched in ages. We're to busy implementing new features when we can't even fix the ones we have. No disrespect to the developers who work long and hard for the project but it comes a time to stop implementing features and start fixing them. Currently we have 4+ drivers that are broken that I known of (isapnp, acpi, vga, floppy). The driver problems (mainly vga) have caused some video issues with people using integrated graphics and I think we should get that working as soon as possible.
manatails007

Post by manatails007 »

I don't know if 0.3.6 will be bugfixig release, but I think many bugs will be fixed before 0.4 release candidate
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Yes and No.

Bugs are caused by unimplemented or incomplete features, which leads to incompatibility and instability as software are expecting these features to exist!
Reactos is different from linux.
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

manatails007 wrote:I don't know if 0.3.6 will be bugfixig release, but I think many bugs will be fixed before 0.4 release candidate
We have to start fixing them somewhere. We can't start at release 0.3.9. Then we get lots of people mad because we have blown our release date by about 2 months fixing bugs at the last minute.
aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

cmoibenlepro wrote:Yes and No.

Bugs are caused by unimplemented or incomplete features, which leads to incompatibility and instability as software are expecting these features to exist!
Reactos is different from linux.
I'm not saying implement everything. I mean fix things that have regressed or never really worked right because of a coding mistake.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Some of those "regressions" are basically hacks being removed. So there's no way to fix those regressions without implementing more of the system.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Who says that after 0.3.9 comes 0.4.0 ? It could also be 0.3.10 ;)

I see it exactly like Z98 - most bugs will be fixed when the API supports those functions.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

An other voice with Z98 and Radhad. Alphas are meant to be buggy and unstable. But also implement more and more features.:!: :P The developers promised a 2 month release schedule, so as long as they manage to make a bootable version each time it is fine.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

aicommander wrote: We're to busy implementing new features when we can't even fix the ones we have....
We have to start fixing them somewhere. ...
We can't start at release 0.3.9.
we get lots of people mad because we have blown our release date by about 2 months fixing bugs at the last minute.
I don't mean to sound rude, but you use the term 'we' a lot.
If you want to group yourself with the ros devs by using the term 'we', why don't you start fixing things yourself instead of moaning.
SpoonmAn

Post by SpoonmAn »

keep in mind that an open source project is like devellopers write software for themselves and allow others to use it. if u want to fix some bugs, do so. i think they are trying to attract developers ;-)

ps right versoining after 0.3.9 whould be 0.3.9.1 if not 0.4.0
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

No, after 0.3.9 comes 0.3.10. There is precedent for this in some of ROS' earliest releases. In other words, don't try to use the version number of the 0.3.x series to try and predict when 0.4.0 will come out.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Sorry guys, but this is not for the end-users to decide. Wrong use of forum poll as well. I doubt that any of you know how does such "bugfixing" release affect development. It happened recently, almost a year ago, when releasing 0.3.2 was cancelled and from that moment 0.3.3 was supposed to be bugfixing only. Trunk was frozen and new features committing was disallowed. It took several months to fix 5-6 really nasty blocker bugs. Whereas it was necessary back then, it would be a pure waste of time right now.
cppm

Post by cppm »

yeah, stupid poll, but is 0.3.5 likely to be released in april?
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

cppm wrote:yeah, stupid poll, but is 0.3.5 likely to be released in april?
It most probably won't. Anyway I really don't care, the way I see it, at this moment ros should only have trunk builds and no releases at all, as they keep creating trouble, right after a release comes out it's already old, and issues like keyboard/mouse keep popping up even today after a long time after the 0.3.4 release, there's no magic behind a so called "release".
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Releases are necessary. Not only as a PR event, but to ensure larger scale testing. Many bugs were discovered only thanks to releases.