Request: Hardware Compability Survey

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

encoded

Request: Hardware Compability Survey

Post by encoded »

A special page(series of pages) that would allow testers to report their experiences with certain well known pieces of hardware. In my imagined version we would have a database of hardware devices sorted by categories and/or Manufacturers.

Testers would be presented with a page where they would select from list boxes the category (video adapters, cpu, network adapter, etc..) and then manufacturer and finally a list of devices(list would have to be maintained(not hard), but the model information would be alot more reliable... some noobs might put in too little info or just made up crap). Afterwards the tester would be asked certain important questions about his/her experience, suggestions:
-rating: 1-10 scale or whatever
-bugzilla entry(if any)
-link to 3rd party driver used (if any)
-steps to install the driver software (if any)
-comments/debug log

Then of course, there needs to be a system to search for and display these reports.

A friendly page could be constructed where a tester is asked to input for the totality of hardware in a pc(that we care about), a one stop page to report an entire computer.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Is there anyway we can get Ros to log to a 3 1/2. Newer motherboards dont come with a nul modem or serial port.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

encoded wrote:A special page(series of pages) that would allow testers to report their experiences with certain well known pieces of hardware. In my imagined version we would have a database of hardware devices sorted by categories and/or Manufacturers.
I like the idea too, hope it will attract attention of the site maintainers.
I would also suggest to have the ability to attach several configuration profiles to myReactOS for returning visitors.
linuxgx wrote:Is there anyway we can get Ros to log to a 3 1/2. Newer motherboards dont come with a nul modem or serial port.
They don't come with floppies ether :( , but USB is not yet working in RoS. May be a complete session dump to a file?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

They do. but often the port is not transfered outside.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Haos wrote:They do. but often the port is not transfered outside.
Right, I guess I should have said "computers don't come with floppies nowadays". :D