Security Software

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

walter

Post by walter »

IMHO the easier the better. i think most of the users just want to find something very similar to windows, or even easier to use.
ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

What about contacting this man to help developing a firewall:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=509075
jeniferlewis

Post by jeniferlewis »

Information Security Software. Secure Bytes is an information security software development company which focuses on developing automated tools to strengthen information security management system.

http://www.secure-bytes.com
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Do not promote non-GPL software or services, this post should be terminated by admins.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We honestly don't care if you promote closed source software, so long as you don't expect us to bundle it.
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

ROSFan wrote:What about contacting this man to help developing a firewall:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=509075
i wonder if reactos could have some software similar to iptables to implement a strong firewall
jeniferlewis

Post by jeniferlewis »

I am not promoting this site. This site is an informative site that's why i given there link to you. Well elhoir I think if firewall is strong you computer never corrupted.
forart

Post by forart »

jeniferlewis wrote:I am not promoting this site. This site is an informative site that's why i given there link to you. Well elhoir I think if firewall is strong you computer never corrupted.
I suggest you to do the contrary: inform them about ROS on that (or other) site, so if they produce/promote closed software you could convince them to switch. :wink:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

http://www.giesa.altervista.org/openfirewall/

Some people are still trying to build open source firewalls for windows. Only one catch this one will be gpl3.
fdwhacker

Re: Security Software

Post by fdwhacker »

A Vista-like firewall is a must. You should have a free anti-vir, anti-spyware, and anti-malware all in one package that is an option to install when you setup the OS the first time. Back to the firewall, it needs to have a whitelist and blacklist that are updated frequently (would work if auto updates are implemeted). You MUST offer some protection with the OS, and and option to install it MUST appear during setup. What you should NOT do is have a clone of Windows Security Center or the User Account Control from Vista. It both of them will drive users insane!
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

fdwhacker wrote:You should have a free anti-vir, anti-spyware, and anti-malware all in one package that is an option to install when you setup the OS the first time.
See this post.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I think a WinPooch alike Tool would be worth a try too.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

I know that the devs want to keep ROS small, but what they need to consider is that no piece of code is perfect. What if, say, Microsoft wanted to slow your work and released a virus that attacked a vulnerability in ROS. Plus, with all the security problems with Windows, security should be your #1 concern.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Security isn't that important in alpha stage, when even some perfectly clean applications can crash ReactOS in no time.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

fdwhacker wrote:I know that the devs want to keep ROS small, but what they need to consider is that no piece of code is perfect. What if, say, Microsoft wanted to slow your work and released a virus that attacked a vulnerability in ROS. Plus, with all the security problems with Windows, security should be your #1 concern.
Once again, I'm going to play the "Distro CDs solve everything" card - bundle, say, ClamWin and Spybot in with the default install and you're done.

Although a lightweight-but-powerful built-in firewall has been suggested somewhere else, and it looks like that COULD be considered as part of the core ReactOS code, especially since XP and Vista have firewalls of their own - and, if your firewall is good enough, viruses (virii?) and spyware shouldn't be a problem.