Am I Correct In Assuming...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

SdC wrote:For the .NET functionalities that cannot be cloned directly in Mono, there are/will be alternative functions in the mono namespace, so at least all code can be adapted to run on mono with minimal effort by the programmers.
So when the industry starts supporting and implementing mono, you can expect many more native mono applications to appear on the market.
Compiled programs already in use, don't change by them self.

So unless they make the required assemblies, and redirect the Microsoft ones to those automatically, 99% of all Dot Net Programs wont work.

I can't even get a Dot Net program, that is nothing but a window, to work in mono; in C# or VB. Mono must only run 1.0 apps, as far as in can see.
SdC

Post by SdC »

Techno Mage wrote:
Compiled programs already in use, don't change by them self.

So unless they make the required assemblies, and redirect the Microsoft ones to those automatically, 99% of all Dot Net Programs wont work.
Correct. They need to be compiled targeting mono instead of .NET
Techno Mage wrote: I can't even get a Dot Net program, that is nothing but a window, to work in mono; in C# or VB. Mono must only run 1.0 apps, as far as in can see.
Mono is near .NET 2.0 functionality
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Mono is a working project just as Ros is, give it time and it will develop. As for C# apps. what exactly is it that you want to run so bad as to have need of C# implementations?
Sand

Post by Sand »

Some .NET 1.0 applications already may work just as they work in Wine.
cppm

Post by cppm »

linuxgx wrote:Mono is a working project just as Ros is, give it time and it will develop. As for C# apps. what exactly is it that you want to run so bad as to have need of C# implementations?
Although a big difference between Mono and Ros is that people are targeting Mono as a distinct platform.

In that respect it's already used pretty extensively in the default Ubuntu desktop...
Phobos

Re:

Post by Phobos »

cppm wrote:
SdC wrote:
cppm wrote:...and should be challenged!
Novell is the driving force behind project Mono and they have signed an agreement with MS regarding exactly what is allowed.
I see...

So much for mono being the solution to the .net issue... :?

PS: not that I think mono isn't a good project, it provides a good platform to develop on. In some ways the fact that MS has signed an agreement with them is a good things since it removes some of the uncertainty that richard stallman talks about.

It's just not going to allow .net applications to be run out of the box
it removes the uncertainty for novell, yes... no one else is included in that deal