Am I Correct In Assuming...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jsimmons

Am I Correct In Assuming...

Post by jsimmons »

...that nothing that uses .Net (any version) yet works on ReactOS?
cppm

Post by cppm »

Wine are only just getting .net to work and there they're talking about being proud that the applications just start to draw a window.

So i'd say that your assumption is correct
elhoir
Test Team

Re: Am I Correct In Assuming...

Post by elhoir »

jsimmons wrote:...that nothing that uses .Net (any version) yet works on ReactOS?
And it will never, because ReactOS will be just an OS, without any 3rd app.

To run .net apps you will have to install another software, such as Mono
cppm

Post by cppm »

And it will never, because ReactOS will be just an OS, without any 3rd app.
So... .net will never work on ROS? :P

Go on, humour me
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

eventually mono (or an equivalent) will be included with the downloader utility.
So .net won't be included directly with reactos, but it will eventually work.
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

Obviously you people have not tried to run a Dot Net program under mono
They just don't run.

As to the Dot Net 2.0 installer, it gets as far as the I Agree screen, and just plain closes. 3.5 does not even get that far.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I said eventually. That means not now.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It seems that elhoir did a small mistake. DOT.NET apps will eventually work on ROS, either through MS .NET framework (if license allows) or through any third party implementation.

Elhoir only stated that it is very unlikely for any .NET framework to be included/bundled with ROS.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

I try dotnet apps in ros in 0.2.x they did work partly with dotgnu
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Mono will be ever incompatible to .NET applications because they are not allowed to implement some system.IO.* libraries - look at the mono project page and read the article "How to port .NET app to Mono"! So if the installer of Microsoft may work (which will happen someday) you can install it (but it is illegal installing it on a non-MS Windows OS). So the end-user chooses, if he wants to use an illegal installation or not ...
cppm

Post by cppm »

Ah.. now that's more like it.

Sometimes the crime of ommision is just as bad as plain misinformation, but the truth will out it appears!

PS:
RadHad wrote:they are not allowed to implement some system.IO.* libraries
Are you sure it's because they're not 'allowed'.

Cos if so, that's bad... :(... and should be challenged!
jsimmons

Post by jsimmons »

Without full dotNet support, ReactOS will remain merely a curiosity. With each day that passes, more and more modern applications are being written in dotNet. Even hardware drivers are being written in dotNet.

People that are running Windows right now and that want to move (or would be willing to move) to a non-Microsoft OS want to still be able to run their windows applications. I'm not saying that's the way it should be, I'm saying that's the way it is.

In any case, this is primarily the reason I haven't changed over to Linux - I want to use Visual Studio to write my code, and Wine simply isn't ready for that yet. Neither, it seems, is ReactOS. I'm not trying to slam ReactOS or Linux (I know I certainly don't have the talent to write an OS), I'm just stating the reality of things.

I'll check back from time to time to see how things are progressing.

PS: My feelings about Mono are that it will never be viable because it's always two steps behind the current iteration of dotNet. They don't even have full dotNet 2.0 support, and dotNet 3.5 has been on the streets for what, six months? That makes it completely pointless as a development target. It was awful magnanimous of Microsoft to "bless" the project, but you can bet they're not exactly helpful to the Mono dev team. Why? Because of people like me who would switch to Linux in half a heartbeat if Mono fully supported the latest incarnation of dotNet.
SdC

Post by SdC »

cppm wrote:...and should be challenged!
Novell is the driving force behind project Mono and they have signed an agreement with MS regarding exactly what is allowed.
cppm

Post by cppm »

SdC wrote:
cppm wrote:...and should be challenged!
Novell is the driving force behind project Mono and they have signed an agreement with MS regarding exactly what is allowed.
I see...

So much for mono being the solution to the .net issue... :?

PS: not that I think mono isn't a good project, it provides a good platform to develop on. In some ways the fact that MS has signed an agreement with them is a good things since it removes some of the uncertainty that richard stallman talks about.

It's just not going to allow .net applications to be run out of the box
SdC

Post by SdC »

For the .NET functionalities that cannot be cloned directly in Mono, there are/will be alternative functions in the mono namespace, so at least all code can be adapted to run on mono with minimal effort by the programmers.
So when the industry starts supporting and implementing mono, you can expect many more native mono applications to appear on the market.