suggestion - file server

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jweiss

suggestion - file server

Post by jweiss »

If it would be possible to make a file server stable distribution, ReactOS could be useful right now. I think something like this would increase markedly the interest in ReactOS.
geertvdijk

Re: suggestion - file server

Post by geertvdijk »

jweiss wrote:If it would be possible to make a file server stable distribution, ReactOS could be useful right now. I think something like this would increase markedly the interest in ReactOS.
I agree that as soon as the kernel of ReactOS is stable it could already be used for some dedicated purposes, as an FTP server doesn't really need a full DirectX or WinForms compatible system. But the kernel still needs to grow more stable for that. All ReactOS needs to be used as an apache server (in my opinion) is (apart from a stable kernel) a solid login system with user permissions and everything working.
-graey-
elhoir
Test Team

Re: suggestion - file server

Post by elhoir »

geertvdijk wrote:. All ReactOS needs to be used as an apache server (in my opinion) is (apart from a stable kernel) a solid login system with user permissions and everything working.
And according to roadmap, it wont be ready until 0.4

http://www.reactos.org/en/about_roadmap.html
magtec

Post by magtec »

I think that is a good idea: file server, print server, etc, could be interest for new developers.

off-topic
would be possible a release with some software already installed, like firefox, abiword, gaim. I had trouble with that in 3.4
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

magtec wrote: would be possible a release with some software already installed, like firefox, abiword, gaim. I had trouble with that in 3.4
It's true. People do post without reading past posts.

FlyingIsFun1217
magtec

Post by magtec »

I read at least 100 topics since january, is impossible read all.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

All topics here? Piece a cake. I read all topics since last year, when i joined.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Short answer, no. No point in including software that might not even run or will crash after a short while.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Well I dont read as many threads, but it seems to appear that the kernel is the bottle neck element here - as in the point of failure for further projects building upon ReactOS:D
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

shevegen wrote:it seems to appear that the kernel is the bottle neck element here
Not to sound rude (I hate when it comes out that way!), but do you even know what a kernel is? It IS the OS ;)

FlyingIsFun1217
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:
shevegen wrote:it seems to appear that the kernel is the bottle neck element here
Not to sound rude (I hate when it comes out that way!), but do you even know what a kernel is? It IS the OS ;)

FlyingIsFun1217
Richard "GNU/Linux" Stallman would disagree. :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

How fortunate that he's held in low regard by quite a few developers here.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Really? I didn't expect that - In fact, I thought that it was the opposite, since ReactOS is licensed under the GPL (for the record, I'm personally sort of neutral about his ideas).

Anyway, back on topic: I like the idea of ReactOS as a server. In fact, that was one of the uses I was thinking of putting it to once it gets a bit more stable.

EDIT: Oops, got confused with another thread.