Keeping up...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevintrooper

Keeping up...

Post by kevintrooper »

I don't want to be a "anti-ROS", and you know I have been a member on the Forum for a long time, but recently, I thought: " When ReactOS comes out [1.0] that will be around when Windows 7 will come out". So Question:" How will ReactOS keep up with only being (mostly) compatible with WINXP? "

ANSWER PLEASE!
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

:? I'd be surprised if 1.0 ever come out, this project doesn't even have a usb stack. Honestly there is room for us to barrow from several other projects and just focus on a gui and NT kernel but instead were recreating much from scratch.

Honestly I'd try and produce something useable and work back from that, but then again this isn't my project. Yes I do realize that allot is borrowed just not all that could be used. We need more centralized focus, and reactX is a waste, accelerate video with DX should be the focus.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@kevintrooper

No one knows. This is all the fun. Me, i`m here because i learn something new everyday, as well as because of the community. Of course i`d love to see ROS being successfull, but if we wont, this doesn`t really matter.

@linuxgx
You can always name those projects. Btw, GUI and NT kernel is like 70% of this project, counting in all the dependencies.
and reactX is a waste
You are the only waste around here...
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

linuxgx, what's all this 'we'?
Also, considering you seem to know so much, why don't you tell us which parts of reactos we're unnesessarly implementing which we could instead take from other projects

kevin, just becuase our main internal architecture is based on 2k3, doesn't mean the layers on top of it don't implement functionality from newer versions.
e.g. we already have a number of Vista apis in our code.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

linuxgx if you asked me 12 months ago if this year Wine would get to 1.0 I would have said impossible. Never make perditions about versions 1.0's.

ReactX is not a waste linuxgx. It is the project that will allow normal direct X to work. Also gives reactos a extra option around if MS decided to change license of future versions of Direct X forbidding anything other than MS OS's to use it.

It is how everything links up linuxgx. You have the same issue as haos linuxgx not able to see the big pictures in projects he is not working on.

Ged at least linuxgx did not suggest using wined3d instead of reactx we have to be thankful for small mercies.
ksr

Re: Keeping up...

Post by ksr »

Windows XP have to be compatible with Windows 1.0 and MS-DOS.

If future Windows 7.0 is not compatible with existing Windows, who care

Windows? Not compatible Windows is nothing but One of Operating

Systems. ^^
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

If you don't like ReactOS, you always have the possibility to leave instead of propagating false information.
Apal

Post by Apal »

I've recently installed Kubuntu and wine and I was amazed by the apps that it could run.
BUT
I was also amazed by the apps that the recent svn could run.
So, considering that, I could say that even 0.4 version will be a "stable" one for specific programs.
OK so Microsoft released Vista... I don't think that Vista is a success.
Even if Microsoft gave me for free the Ultimate version because of being an active beta tester, I've only installed it and have been rarely using it.
Windows XP lifetime is extended to 2010 because of many customers not wanting to install Vista.
So moving to Windows 7will take time (and of course much money for new hardware to support the new OS!)
So for the time being... Windows XP, Ubuntu 7.10 (awaiting for OpenSuse 11!!) and VMWare with ROS (haven't tried it on real hardware yet due to the keyboard/mouse issue which I think has been fixed though)
fred02

Post by fred02 »

I agree with Apal.
ROS is fun, and even if so far I have not managed to run any of the applications I use with it (but I tested only live CDs on real hardware :twisted: ), it is not the case for others so it is useful. As soon as there will be a partially stable kernel people will create distributions with it. I think primarily of gamer community, because it will give them the ability to have this ultimate "lite" windows everybody want. As long as there will not be technical barriers/limitations to run DX on it, it will be integrated, while ros team could continue to develop their implementation.
There is no need to "keep up" but more to "keep the instalment" as there is a lot of useful software and hardware that is made purposely obsolete by the so called "updates". And I am not only thinking MS. :x
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

I doubt this will be a problem, i think XP/2003 will probably be usable even beyond 2010, architectures doesn't get old that fast. Since ReactOS is an opensource platform, this means that changes and improvements to it will come alot more rapidly after it reaches 1.0. It would be preffered by most application developers because it's a fully open platform with full documentation.

I'd like to think that progress on these things goes in an exponential curve - once ROS reaches 0.6, once ReactX is fully stable and all those necessites become available, interest should naturally build up aand ROS will reach 1.0 much faster.
SdC

Post by SdC »

fred02 wrote:..... I think primarily of gamer community, because ....
Well, I think business takeup will cause much more dev acceleration than the few gamers for the few remaining PC games (a few years from now). And the gamer community doesn't really supply any OS coders.
Microsoft license cost are .... high. I'm sure many many companies are looking for alternatives, but the need to run Windows based apps (both server and client) keeps them locked in.
ANSWER PLEASE!

tsssk.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I beg to differ SdC, in scope of PC gaming. Look at WINE... Its mostly about games... Look at newly released Crossover Games. Also, software modding was always very strong in PC community. I would seek their interest, of course, not ignoring businesses by no mean.

XP/2003 has still several years of market dominance, and even more of market presence. With 64bit versions in place, only a serious hardware revolution would change this situation. Whenever XP/2003 is strong, we have our chance at delivering a competitive product.

So, no worries.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Calm down, I don't believe I said anything critical of the project, all I'm stressing is the fact that with so much still needing to be done that the project needs to stay focused. Is this not true? I can only hope we are all well suited enough to treat each other like grown men.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Yeah... why dont you advise Ms to dump DirectX as it is now ("because its a waste"), and use it only for video acceleration... You cannot be serious...
fred02

Post by fred02 »

SdC wrote: Well, I think business takeup will cause much more dev acceleration
Microsoft license cost are .... high. I'm sure many many companies are looking for alternatives, but the need to run Windows based apps (both server and client) keeps them locked in.
Business or institutional backing would be great, but they will not commit themselves to a project until it can run their word97 or saps flawlessly. And even then, it is unlikely to make them invest anything in an opensource project. Take a look at DOSbox. A lot of companies (steam, vivendi) use it to sell retrogame collections, but the last time I skimmed their forum NONE gave any money or anything else to the project. Furthermore, they often even "forget" to mention it.
Opensource companies could be candidates, but they are more likely to invest in linux than a windows clone. :(
Perhaps John Carmack could be getted interested, so the Quake 5 will be distributed as live CD version with ros. :D