Create a live USB

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fzerox

Create a live USB

Post by fzerox »

Hi guys, I havent posted in a while been away learning some more progarmming. I was wondering how would I make the live CD bootable off a USB

Would it be as symple as making the USB bootible with SYSLINUX and then extracting the ISO on my memory stick?
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

I don't know. I think, ROS has no USB support yet.. But like said, I don't know....
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor
fzerox

Post by fzerox »

Guennie1568 wrote:I don't know. I think, ROS has no USB support yet.. But like said, I don't know....
I figured it might be like booting off a cd
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

you can try it out and tell us your experience
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor
fzerox

Post by fzerox »

Guennie1568 wrote:you can try it out and tell us your experience
thats what I am doing now :)
fzerox

Post by fzerox »

right this may be basic for you guys but where is the kernal that I need to boot.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Yeah, I tried booting from a CF card that I don't use anymore (used it with DS homebrew until I got a microSD card solution that didn't stick out of the DS). Needless to say it didn't work. Though I haven't tried it recently... it may work now. Heck maybe it didn't boot because the actual OS couldn't on my PC at time (I don't remember if it did or not)

And btw, awesome username. :wink:
fzerox

Post by fzerox »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Yeah, I tried booting from a CF card that I don't use anymore (used it with DS homebrew until I got a microSD card solution that didn't stick out of the DS). Needless to say it didn't work. Though I haven't tried it recently... it may work now. Heck maybe it didn't boot because the actual OS couldn't on my PC at time (I don't remember if it did or not)

And btw, awesome username. :wink:
rotfl yep, although fzerox also means something else for me replace the zero with the number 0 and you get F0X. he he he.

Kk so I tried to boot /loader/setupldr.sys ... my computer screen flickered and restarted itself. Although I am unsure on wether my computer can actually run ROS lol
cppm

Post by cppm »

fzerox wrote: Would it be as symple as making the USB bootible with SYSLINUX and then extracting the ISO on my memory stick?
No, ROS has absolutely no USB, and (by extension?) memory card support at the moment. And even if it did, it wouldn't be that simple.
fzerox wrote:where is the kernal that I need to boot.
You can pass it pickle and cheese sandwiches for all it matters. The kernel won't be able to find the OS if it's on USB, what with no USB support yet. hehe

:P don't worry though, I think they're working on a USB implementation at the moment, so watch this space.

Also check out the roadmap page and you'll see that the next major release (0.4) should have USB support

PS: Syslinux is
a) for linux (Windows and by extension ReactOS use a v.different boot process, do some reading on it)
b) for floppy's, things are different for USB. With linux at least no special bootloader is needed
nat32support

How to boot from a Compact Flash module

Post by nat32support »

This method uses a program called WinImage.

1. Download and unzip the ReactOS VMWARE zip file.
2. Start WinImage.
3. Select: Disk, Restore Virtual Hard Disk image.....
4. Then select your Compact Flash card.
5. Then select the ReactOS.vmdk file

That's it. WinImage will then do the rest. When it's finished, put the CF card in your target system and it should boot.

I write 'should' because I haven't tested it yet because I only have a 2GB CF card and the ReactOS virtual disk is over 2G in size. But I have tested it with other (smaller) vmdk files and it works perfectly.

Perhaps one could make a smaller virtual disk in VMware? Reactos itself only needs less than 100 MB.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

cppm wrote:PS: Syslinux is
a) for linux (Windows and by extension ReactOS use a v.different boot process, do some reading on it)
b) for floppy's, things are different for USB. With linux at least no special bootloader is needed
BIOS can be queued to get USB Support if you can queue it. My BIOS detects that the A:\ I have is USB, and figures that "Hey, we have a USB Floppy; let's call it a floppy." Vista Install CD queues your BIOS before it starts installing, because not all BIOS have Advanced ACPI Support (like my BIOS; and I can't use WinPhlash to upgrade my BIOS due to obvious reasons.)