Package Manager - Screenshot

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

I found the Screenshot from Dr. Fred better then the from Yast2!
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

Use some of mf's icons :)
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

The version I'm making using C# is being modeled after Synaptic. I'm trying to model the underlying system more like Gentoo's Portage (its very flexible, you can install from source with different build flags, or a binary version, and it fetches the actual files from the projects server, the rest is mostly like apt & rpm/deb).

I've never used Yast (or suse, could never find a free version), The screenshot looks more complex than Synaptic though, heres a screenshot I just took of synaptic on my system:
[ external image ]
Click for larger one

I think Synaptic makes a good model because you can use the tree view (shown in the picture), or show only specific ones based on certain things, like if they are installed, uninstalled, New, Upgradable, Broken, or have changes marked (i.e. its set to be upgraded).
"People do have a real life." -- w3seek

Guess that means I'm not a person :-D
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Hi,

I'm using SuSe and Yast at the moment but I don't like it that much anyway you can download it here. I didn't that Gentoo downloads form the project server, too. I'll have a look at that.

However, if I don't get any surprising new ideas, from Gentoo or the NT4 unattended installation-thing (sorry had no time to look at it yet). I'll keep that style of file format.

I will also stay with that icons for now. In my mind they are more then just ok for a development version.

There will be a command line version as a new program it should be possible to implement that very fast using the package.dll.

I've also made the following dessision: Packages should not be require any user interaction if possible. :idea: You are able to set program options as well as package options (like install dir) using the option-icon in the toolbar.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

I like Dr. Fred's package manager's look better than the Synaptic one. It feels more straight-forward.
Lolo

Re: Package Manager - Screenshot

Post by Lolo »

Dr. Fred wrote: I hope that I haven't forgotten something and that you like it.
Hi,

May I add one suggestion ?
The Ros packet manager can became the first reason why neebies like much ROS (the copy) than Windows (THE Original) if it's able to easyly help them to find quickly witch FREE/GPL application to use to do something they don't know. (Neebies very often don't care about legality or philosophy of GPL but they care about easy use)
Is it possible to add a search button to help them to find witch app can do this or that ?
Is it possible to add some tutorials links for each application ?

Exemples :
witch tool may I use to transform MPC files into mp3 files ? How can I do that ?
witch tool may I use to extract 7zip/rar/ace files ? How can I do that ?
witch tool may I use to burn iso files ? How can I do that ?

Sorry 4 my English, it's terrible for me to try to explain what I mean. :oops:

Hope it helps.

Regards
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Hope it helps.
It does. I like the idea.

I've just installed a brand new ubuntu (debain based linux) system. It uses apt-get/synaptic, too. How ever I think diferences aren't that huge.
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

Dr. Fred wrote:
Hope it helps.
It does. I like the idea.
Nice :D
I've spent 30 minutes (to try) to write something clearly in English, and it's usefull... :lol:

I forgot something : it should be multi language !
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Lolo wrote:I forgot something : it should be multi language !
That's no problem, it will be done using resource strings as in the other Ros-Apps.
Viator

Post by Viator »

I like ubuntu alot but libranet is the best debian distro out there mepis is second. Libranet 2.8.1 is free but is getting a little long in the tooth. So you have to do alot of updating right out of the box version 3 is about to be released you have to pay for it but its worth it try 2.8 .1 if youd like though. the libranet forums are the best linux community on the net none of that rtfm stuff hehe
rowa

Post by rowa »

The grafical package manager could be good.

But I need a command-line package manager too. This is necessary for install-scripts. With Debian-Linux I use the nice apt-get command in Shell-Scrips for easy and fast installation of servers.

I hope ReactOS will have a command-line package manager too.
Robert
http://qemu-buch.de/
Book "qemu-kvm & libvirt"
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

There will be a command line version as a new program. It should be possible to implement that very fast using the package.dll.
wolvenwraith

Post by wolvenwraith »

Perhaps we should build the command line version first, and then build the graphical version around that. It might even be best to use something already made (like apt) for the dependancy checking capabilities. The packages could even be built the same way, and use a central repository.

edit: yes I realize a program like apt would have to be mutilated to work on windows, but it might be worth it. Very nice functionality.
wolvenwraith

Post by wolvenwraith »

The problem with Dr. Fred's Package Manager is that it will become very cluttered whenever you start expanding the categories. The second problem is that the message window at the bottom is way too big. To solve the first problem, you need a two pane approach, which also has a side effect of much easier navigation. By the time you do all this, you start looking like Synaptic AND YaST2.

The only difference I can see after that is the icons... which is fine.

Dr. Fred, what language did you write this in?
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

wolvenwraith wrote:Dr. Fred, what language did you write this in?
C++ (MinGW compiler)