The best media player...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

What do you think?

This has to happen!
21%
I like the vision, but prefer songbird's design
8%
Its good, but will never happen
17%
What's wrong with what we have?
54%

Total votes: 24

Dagibit

The best media player...

Post by Dagibit »

I recently posted this on the songbird forums http://www.songbirdnest.com/node/1816:

"One of the biggest issues I’ve noticed over the short time I’ve used Linux is that it [and the open source world in general] seems to lack a really excellent universal media player. I started this little, probably pointless, but fun project before discovering songbird, and built a demo of what I would consider the best media player. By the way, I don’t/ suck at programming, sorry. The first image below is just a plain sample, while the second is labeled to describe it further:

[ external image ]
http://dagibit.googlepages.com/SongbirdPost.png

Using outstanding programs like Sony Vegas (which I have) as models, this media player would:
1. Be designed to perfectly support any media type and format from MPEGs, MP3s, and still images, to DVDs, panoramas, FLVs, and animated GIFs.
2. Have a simple and straightforward, but extremely powerful and customizable interface.
3. Replace all other media players for media on the desktop, and embedded on the web.
4. Can sync with Firefox or other browsers and detect playlists on the web (like songbird) and even intercept streams from other apps like Flash or Quicktime.
5. Be able to save any media it plays (ie streaming mov or flvs)
6. Not become confused or handicapped with certain media types or streaming situations.
7. Be entirely skinnable as well as in web player and fullscreen modes.
8. Have an excellent add-ons system like Firefox, possibly installed through Firefox via a Firefox add-on.
9. Have many other specific features not worth mentioning at the moment.

What do you think?"
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Foobar2000 is better audio player, mpc - lighter and less demanding video player. If something is designed to do everything, it wont do anything well.
betatester

Post by betatester »

Haos wrote:Foobar2000 is better audio player, mpc - lighter and less demanding video player. If something is designed to do everything, it wont do anything well.
I think Videolan is better you dont need to install any other thing for it and dont need codec it have waht you need
LRN

Post by LRN »

MPC and VLC are just two different good players. VLC (and mplayer) is 'all in one' solutions, while MPC mostly relys on DirectShow. This has advantages AND disadvantages. That's why it is best to have both players. If one doesn't works, you could always use another.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

VLC isn't written using the windows API. It also has some weird bugs that they still can't nail down.
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

Z98 wrote:VLC isn't written using the windows API.
should i think that is why it is better than WMP? LOL
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

No, you shouldn`t.
etko

Post by etko »

foobar2000 - the only best one
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

etko wrote:foobar2000 - the only best one
but not open-source :-P
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Open-sourceness wasnt a condition here.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

elhoir wrote:
Z98 wrote:VLC isn't written using the windows API.
should i think that is why it is better than WMP? LOL
I have set up WMP with DirectShow Filters and Codecs, then added the registry settings. I use to be a fan of VLC, but now I have to say it's a long way behind. Take for example the media libraries, the user interfaces, it's ergonomics are a long way ahead (and this is against the dev builds). With the correct setup I can play everything I did on VLC, plus more (and I don't really need the ability to play a video on my wall paper which holds icons on it).
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I can play everything I did on VLC, plus more
What can you play on WMP, that you couldn`t on VLC?
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

Haos wrote:
I can play everything I did on VLC, plus more
What can you play on WMP, that you couldn`t on VLC?
I couldn't get MIDIs to run, from my experience.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

That looks fine, except I'd rather a glass or metal theme than black plastic, and I might re-arrange the buttons for simplicity.
etko

Post by etko »

When Winamp or VLC or WMP will handle 50 000 songs fast and easily I will rethink my decision. Till the time arives I'l stick with foobar. Yes it's a bit sad it's not open source. For video I will always use MPC .