bidi support

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ForeverNoob

bidi support

Post by ForeverNoob »

Hi folks,

Like most of us here I'm looking for a way to live w/o MS Windows, so I've been playing around with ReactOS and noticed I can't switch to right-to-left text editing. Are there any plans to implement bidi support in the near future? The ability to write in Hebrew is a must for me. Linux already have good Hebrew implementation right now, but I'd feel more at home with a more Windows-like OS.

Thanks
Haos
Test Team

Re: bidi support

Post by Haos »

ForeverNoob wrote:to live w/o MS Windows
Plese adhere to rules. Do not use MS abbreviation.
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

Haos wrote:
ForeverNoob wrote:to live w/o MS Windows
Plese adhere to rules. Do not use MS abbreviation.
Perhaps you could have reworded such a post to a brand new user-it could easily be misconstrued as arrogant and unfriendly, which would be counterproductive to attracting as many people to this project as possible
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

ForeverNoob wrote:Hi folks,

Like most of us here I'm looking for a way to live w/o MS Windows, so I've been playing around with ReactOS and noticed I can't switch to right-to-left text editing. Are there any plans to implement bidi support in the near future? The ability to write in Hebrew is a must for me. Linux already have good Hebrew implementation right now, but I'd feel more at home with a more Windows-like OS.

Thanks
http://www.langbox.com/AraMosaic/mozilla/
Here is one for Mozilla. Perhaps it could be used in ROS? :?: Mozilla is also open source.
8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tomleem

Hebrew section?

Post by tomleem »

Perhaps they add Hebrew to the different language section? :?: :idea:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

elektrik wrote:Perhaps you could have reworded such a post to a brand new user-it could easily be misconstrued as arrogant and unfriendly, which would be counterproductive to attracting as many people to this project as possible
Perhaps you should try to get in touch with nettiquette. Using MS acronym (not abbreviation, sorry) is childish and emotional, or rather, flame-related. This is not a "Flame Microsoft" site, we do not care how much you hate Bill Gates. This is a public place, so try to behave. Was this an elaboration you required?
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Haos wrote:
elektrik wrote:Perhaps you could have reworded such a post to a brand new user-it could easily be misconstrued as arrogant and unfriendly, which would be counterproductive to attracting as many people to this project as possible
Perhaps you should try to get in touch with nettiquette. Using MS acronym (not abbreviation, sorry) is childish and emotional, or rather, flame-related. This is not a "Flame Microsoft" site, we do not care how much you hate Bill Gates. This is a public place, so try to behave. Was this an elaboration you required?
It was elaborate but you ignored the question.
"Are there any plans to implement bidi support in the near future? The ability to write in Hebrew is a must for me. Linux already have good Hebrew implementation right now, but I'd feel more at home with a more Windows-like OS. "
He was asking about bidi support so he could have good Hebrew implementation. Is there any way to write Hebrew with ROS? I assume this is what the question is about. I do not think it was about hating or flaming Microsoft. 8)

I remember a program - many years ago- where one could write in Hebrew with an overlay on the keyboard.

http://www.jewishsoftware.com/default.a ... PAodVS6o6Q
Hebrew word processor. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

tomleem wrote:
Haos wrote:
It was elaborate but you ignored the question.
"Are there any plans to implement bidi support in the near future? The ability to write in Hebrew is a must for me. Linux already have good Hebrew implementation right now, but I'd feel more at home with a more Windows-like OS. "
He was asking about bidi support so he could have good Hebrew implementation. Is there any way to write Hebrew with ROS? I assume this is what the question is about. I do not think it was about hating or flaming Microsoft. 8)

I remember a program - many years ago- where one could write in Hebrew with an overlay on the keyboard.

http://www.jewishsoftware.com/default.a ... PAodVS6o6Q
Hebrew word processor. 8)
Shouldn't reactos be (long-term anyway) just translated into hebrew and have support for right-to-left text built-in? I'm not at all at home with this, and I don't know how much already is supported, but a third party application that only solves part of the problem is not a full fix I think...
-graey-
ForeverNoob

Post by ForeverNoob »

Hey folks,

First of all, I apologize for the bad-taste MS joke.

Now, what I meant is just as geertvdijk said: Right-to-Left support in the operating system level. Most modern Windows application doesn't need to be specially designed for Hebrew or Arabic or whatever RTL language because Windows has built-in support, so almost everything works automatically (except for right justification of Hebrew text which is sometimes a problem). ROS will be useless for many potential users without bidi support. I don't think it should be a big problem - Linux already support Hebrew very well (and probably Arabic too, but I'm not sure).

Thanks You
CCTAHEB

Post by CCTAHEB »

Probably you could find this issue useful:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... ard_layout
geertvdijk wrote: Shouldn't reactos be (long-term anyway) just translated into hebrew...
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/Translations
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

ForeverNoob wrote:Hi folks,

Thanks
Hi,
Yes basic layout support has been added. It is not fully operational but one tester did see it work and I saw the pic also. There are many bugs but you can try it.

Thanks,
James

http://www.reactos.org/archives/public/ ... 20635.html
ForeverNoob

Post by ForeverNoob »

Hi Again,

I've installed Firefox on ROS and tried some Hebrew sites. It seems to work OK, Hebrew text displayed correctly. This is great, only thing missing is Hebrew keyboard handling. Hope this will be included soon.

Thanks