Need help getting Windows API Libs

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

linuxtek5

Need help getting Windows API Libs

Post by linuxtek5 »

I am attempting to create an all inclusive windows console utility, but am trying to remain independent of any microsoft entanglements. I am creating the utility in assembler language using FASM. I have the windows API libs from Microsoft C/C++ Visual Studio purchase made several years ago. However I do not want to use this API lib collection or the one available with a release a Windows, again to avoid the possibility of Microsoft attempting to pull or mess with this API. Where can I get a complete set of Windows API libs which I can link into my assembler generated object module, which I can pass on to a future development team without being beholden to Microsoft for the rest of eternity in some way. (My trust level for anything Microsoft produces is obviously low)

Thanks
etko

Post by etko »

Can't you just go with dynamic linking at runtime? Thre should be some info about that in your assembler community.

I'was never good coder but, I did once. It was done by loading dll module manualy and by searching for function using name string if I rembeber correctly. You then used obtained pointer then to call the function.
Jawmht

Post by Jawmht »

MS would NEVER let you get your hands on the object code, OC is incredibly easy to reverse, it would be a liability.

You could write it with winelib, but thats C. Also, how would calling to a MS DLL bind you to them? There are cross-OS programs all the time, usually open source, and none are bound to MS.
linuxtek5

Post by linuxtek5 »

Thanks, etko, good idea, but what I am trying to do is link the windows api routines tightly into the utility. The next post of using winelib is what I am going to try. I want this to be a fast and tight utility. 8)
linuxtek5

Post by linuxtek5 »

thanks, jawmht, I know that Microsoft will allow you to load the API libs down for free but you always have to sign an online contract. The winelib is something I was not aware of and may be the trick for me. I am going in pursuit of that. I simply don't want to use anything Microsoft gives out because they will probably come and sue me later. At some point Microsoft will react to reactos and wine, and will try to trump these projects. I want win32 to be firmly in place with tools outside of Microsoft to continue to pump out win32 programs. Then they will not be able to kill the win32 standard they themselves have created.

Thanks, for the feedback. linuxtek5