Version 0.3.4 & ReactX

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spoons

Version 0.3.4 & ReactX

Post by spoons »

Hey, just a couple of questions,

What improvements will 0.3.4 have over 0.3.3?

Which release do you expect to have the first implementation of ReactX in? Like a basic 3D version?
Apal

Post by Apal »

I don't know about ReactX but you can see a detailed changelog for 0.3.4 at
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/ChangeLog-0.3.4
Trivalik

Post by Trivalik »

Where can i find the 10 blockers, that mentioned in the news?
Apal

Post by Apal »

Trivalik

Post by Trivalik »

Ok, i have mark 3.4 as target and mark all Products and then search. But the result are only 8 bugs, or is there a wrong strategy on my side?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

ReactX are not ready yet, and it is not a visual effect you can see, only more kernel code for directx have been add.
the desgin is now matching windows xp/2003 desgin.
in next release. that is the diffent change. it mean only 20-30 api are stubbed in win2k3 and almost all api in dxg.sys are missing. it mean
we need have dxg.sys and thuse missing api in win32k.sys be finish before you will see any visual effect.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

I think ReactOS 0.3.4 is going to kick ass! It will feature OpenOffice.org 2 support and remote desktop which is compatible with Windows. Also it will feature other improvements like much better Win32k and speed improvements.

In the last link you can read that we're close to basic 3D support, but I doubt it will be in 0.3.4. Support for actual games isn't planned until 0.6, so you'll have to wait a while for that.
walter

Post by walter »

great news :D our developers are doing a great job, i'll wait for next versions :)
spoons

Post by spoons »

As will I.
I have an old system (1.4 AMD duron, 384mb memory, DX 8.1 gfx card) that would be great for ReactOS. When it is relatively stable, wifi capable and compatible with Halo, I'll switch it over from XP. Should be a nice speed boost atleast. :)
tinivole

I think I'll wait for 0.4...

Post by tinivole »

ReactOS is a cool operating system on paper...

But within a virtual evironment, I shouldn't get your hopes up too much...

Besides, despite what operating system you're running ReactOS from, you'll probably be able to do the exact same things without the buggy-ness and slowness of running ReactOS through a virtual environment.

Though I do support (and will aid if needed) the development behind ROS... I'd rather leave the critisism (to come... very shortly in the near future) and dreaming (of how "brilliant" ReactOS will supposedly be) of it till its hardware version comes out (version 0.4).

Until then... I think it's enough of the questions and more of the answers...

Why ask whether or not the next version shoudl have this or that supported with ReactOS... why not make a statement out of it... And if it's do-able, perhaps it'll appear in the next release....
eiffel

Post by eiffel »

Just an "newbie" question:

I understand that ReactOS try to be an XP-like OS and you work to make it compatible with mnost programs wich run on XP.

But why rewrite an DirectX like environment instead of make the OS compatible with the downloadable DirectX from Microsoft. As long as the user download and install it you have no patent infringements. And same with other facilities and runtimes.

I believe that could save time, in order to offer an stable OS more quickly.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I believe the EULA forbids using MS' DX on non-genuine Windows. And while you are free to do whatever you want, we are not going to risk getting in a fight with MS over this.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

tinivole: virtual machine is only a temporary situation, for making development/testing a lot easier. Our goal still is the everyday-use, real-hardware Operating system.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Z98 wrote:I believe the EULA forbids using MS' DX on non-genuine Windows. And while you are free to do whatever you want, we are not going to risk getting in a fight with MS over this.
That's probably a good idea ;)

FlyingIsFun1217
LRN

Post by LRN »

I believe the EULA forbids using MS' DX on non-genuine Windows. And while you are free to do whatever you want, we are not going to risk getting in a fight with MS over this.
Fight over WHAT? That ReactOS is Windows-compatible enough to run DirectX? This isn't crime. Users are free to download and install DirectX. THEY may broke the EULA, but that's their responsibility, not yours. And since it will be hard for MS to actually DO something about it, this is a viable solution after all.
While RectX will be the only officially supported way of running DirectX-applications on ReactOS, there's nothing wrong in extending compatibility too.