co-branding reactos?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hsncorrosion

co-branding reactos?

Post by hsncorrosion »

Is it allowed or even a way for me to add my name/logo to the boots screen and my info in the mycomputer area so I can use it when re-selling junker computers? I would also like to place a copy of my remote support software on it. so... pre-installed cd
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

At the moment, you don't WANT to preload ReactOS on computers. It's not ready for it and has at best a 50/50 chance of working.
hsncorrosion

Post by hsncorrosion »

I do understand that it is not yet stable but I do not have any other windows - like system to fall back on, If I resell junkers I cannot charge for windows as the price would not be worth the product.

IF anyone is willing I still need to do this, Can someone make an app that will let me co-brand this and create a setup cd?
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

My junkers go out with Linux or K12 Windows.

Microsoft OEM K12 XP Pro does not cost much. Note cannot be used for business use by license (this includes selling on ebay) normally fine for junkers. It can be as little as 25 cents per machine. Its a more restricted license than normal Windows Student.

Feature you are asking for is a after 0.5 reactos feature we are not there yet. Until then look at other options.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
I will say, ReactOS is opensource under gpl.
that mean you can not remove copyright string from source code.
about doing costumize version of ReactOS I do not see a problem with it.
as long you credits us, and tell people it is reactos.
and you will be okay, change the boot screen I do not see any problem with it
hsncorrosion

Post by hsncorrosion »

Please note I never planned to remove any such copyrights, simply add myself as the one who customized it.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I think Greatlord misunderstood.

I think hsncorrosion wants like XP OEM provider message in for support in system properties->general Like phone number and firm that installed it. I see no problem providing that for installers of Reactos after its in 0.5 at least.

At end of 0.4 I think I will throw the design of it open in the design forum.

Sorry to say hsnorrosion we have had to be defensive some other people have tried exactly what Greatlord said. Ie removing Reactos copyright strings.
hsncorrosion

Post by hsncorrosion »

I understand, I mean your making this great system here and the thought of someone trying to re-name it and take all the credit is terrifying, I really do understand.

Do you think someone can help make this work for me though? I do not think I can wait for .5
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

why dont you install puppy linux and include a pre install of wine, its not windows but it would do untill reactos is more complete.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@hsncorrosion

I think you should install ROS first and see how it preforms right now. Bundling it right now with your rigs for sale would not be too smart...
hsncorrosion

Post by hsncorrosion »

Just looked a puppy linux, nice!

But what is wine?

EDIT

is there a way for me to make a cd with pre-installed software? This would take a lot off of me, via puppy linux I mean, also I wanted a remote support application for use with my customers, I can do it in windows but not linux so if someone could help I'd be greatful.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

wine http://www.winehq.org Reactos gets a few dlls and other things from this project. It allows running some windows programs on linux.

Yes you can make custom linux installer disks. HP is working on one solution for that problem http://linuxcoe.sourceforge.net/ There are others from Dell and the like. Also most linux distros provide ways of making your own customs disks as well.

Remote support what kinda. Something people forget is completely normal to expect to run a linux box without a screen or keyboard and mouse.

Normal like Remote desktop in windows can be vnc setup of some form on linux.

Yes there are a few 1000 different ways of answering that one for linux. On a business network you might even be doing support threw ssh without users being able to see that you are doing it. Note open source goes a past just remote control of clients. http://italc.sourceforge.net/ so I kinda need more exact information on how much control you really need.

Sale assistance features are 0.5 and after because we don't want people putting reactos on machines and giving Reactos a bad name. Alpha status means highly unstable. General public will not understand that.