ReactOS broke my VMware

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

MegaSvensk

ReactOS broke my VMware

Post by MegaSvensk »

Hi,

I tried running ReactOS (the VMware disk image) on VMware (running on an Ubuntu Linux host) and when I tried to install the VM-tools, it crashed with a VMware error message about a processor malfunction. Since then other operating systems have been running really slow. Everything is slower, like clocks and timers taking about four seconds to count one second and the slide-out menus slide out really slowly and operating systems take several times longer to boot (and install) than they did before.

I've tried unistalling VMware and reinstalling, but it's still just as slow.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Okay: here is the fix: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ . It's called QEMU, I have no clue about VMWare, but QEMU is really good.
More ReactOS, please!
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

What you tell us is impossible. If a reboot does not help, then its your imagination playing tricks on ya.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MegaSvensk

Post by MegaSvensk »

I don't think I'm imagining a Windows 98 start menu taking about three seconds to slide up or boot countdowns taking about four seconds to count one second.

It became like this right after the VMware processor error. Before the reboot after it happened it was even slower. For instance the BIOS load took like fifteen seconds (now, it takes about five seconds, which is still slower than before.)

It did happen and I hope it can be fixed.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Reacter wrote:Okay: here is the fix: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ . It's called QEMU, I have no clue about VMWare, but QEMU is really good.
You're kidding right?????
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Why would he be kidding?

FlyingIsFun1217
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Ged doesn't like QEMU. And like all devs, he's not shy about making his opinion known.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yes :-P And I still say its impossible that a dieing OS harms VMWare so much that even a reinstall wont fix it. (Sidenote: Reinstall == All stuff new and with default configuration).
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MegaSvensk

Post by MegaSvensk »

I don't think it uninstalled completely because when I reinstalled, the same VMs were open as before I uninstalled it.

Does anyone know how to completely remove any trace of VMware so I can start over again?

EDIT:
I found out how to remove the user stuff but now when I started my XP VM, I got an error message stating that the "Processor may not be powerful enough to run VMware with good performance. Your estimated processing speed is 2 MHz. Refer to yada yada.. for this product's minimum requirements." After I clicked "OK", it started but then it got stuck on the XP boot screen.
Last edited by MegaSvensk on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well... VMWare loads the VMs again from Personal Folder/My Virtual Machines. This has nothing to do with fully uninstalling, because a uninstall wont remove them.

MegaSvensk

Post by MegaSvensk »

I found out how to fix. I ran the config.pl and now it's okay again.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Gaaah Linux, that explains why I did not understand how this might happen.

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Lol, Thats funny, I followed along and even though i only use Linux, I didn't realize you were using Linux + VMware, Even though i had this problem myself... Wow.
Programmers: Help us put Vista graphics drivers on Linux! The WDOL Project Homepage