Obsolete work?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nixer
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Russia, Moscow
Contact:

Obsolete work?

Post by Nixer »

ReactOS focuses on implementing of Win32/64 APIs. But in fact the future is in behind UNIX architecture.

Indeed, even Windows becomes more close to UNIX. Vista provides a UNIX-like shell with commands like "ls" instead of "dir", it borrows many features from MacOS X and Linux. Windows 8 will have a UNIX-like kernel.

Do we really need to implement an architecture which will be gone in a few years?
Last edited by Nixer on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phalanx
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:42 am
Location: Australia

Re: Obsolete work?

Post by Phalanx »

Nixer wrote:But in fact the future is in behind UNIX architecture.
...
Windows 8 will have UNIX-like kernel.
Love to see the evidence for those two parts...
Coviti
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:26 am

Re: Obsolete work?

Post by Coviti »

Nixer wrote:But in fact the future is in behind UNIX architecture
Really? How did you come to this conclusion?
Nixer wrote:Indeed, even Windows becomes more close to UNIX
How so? And by this I mean technically, not feature-wise.
Nixer wrote:Vista provides a UNIX-like shell with commands like "ls" instead of "dir", it borrows many features from MacOS X and Linux
I believe you're thinking of Windows PowerShell, which is available for Windows XP, 2003, Vista, and 2008. And behind the scenes, it's absolutely nothing like a UNIX shell. PowerShell is built off the .NET Framework, and those "UNIX-like commands" are simply aliases. And it provides both "ls" and "dir". ;)
Nixer wrote:Windows 8 will have a UNIX-like kernel
Where did you hear this? I do believe Microsoft has released almost no information about Windows 7, let alone Windows 8. And Windows 7 will be a continuation of the NT series.
Nixer wrote:Do we really need to implement an architecture which will be gone in a few years?
NT will be gone in a few years? We'll see about this...
oiaohm
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:40 am

Post by oiaohm »

And powershell is slow and lacking performance. Unix shell commands have be available for windows for a long time.

What the command line is has nothing to do with the OS kernel. Nixer you are really seam to be showing complete lack OS construction understanding.

Future is behind Open Source OS's. As Microsoft is seeing people changing from XP is hard. The extend of XP support most likely will see a lot wait for 2009.

Windows 2008 and Desktop release in 2009 are still slated to have NT kernels like Reactos.
Angelus
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Obsolete work?

Post by Angelus »

Nixer wrote:Windows 8 will have a UNIX-like kernel.
If your comment is true, i don't care about the future of this project because the greatness of the open source projects is their ability to adapt theirselves to new times. People will have a win32 architecture -and maintained- in the future to run their "old" favorites apps/games, because the code is there to work on it.

Please, could you post a link or reference about this topic? It's a really impressive news. :shock:
Smiley
Developer
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:36 pm

Re: Obsolete work?

Post by Smiley »

Nixer wrote:ReactOS focuses on implementing of Win32/64 APIs.
Have you ever run reactos? What you say is completely wrong.

WINE focuses on implementing of Win32/64 APIs
Reactos focuses on creating a brand new os that will work in the same way and look like windows
cmoibenlepro
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by cmoibenlepro »

ReactOS focuses on implementing of Win32/64 APIs.
Hahahahaha!!!! :D That one is funny!
Have you ever run reactos?
Of course he never did.
<WINE focuses on implementing of Win32/64 APIs
Reactos focuses on creating a brand new os that will work in the same way and look like windows
Of course, but he don't know that. Reactos is a Brand New OS, with a completely new kernel. Just like BSD is not linux.

He's a troll.

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!
.aart3k
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:21 am

Post by .aart3k »

Hey, if Windows wants to live it has to support earlier versions. And what is ReactOS if not open implementation of most recent technologies by MS? Even if some thing are gonna change then large amount of ROS can be reused in other project ;)
Nixer
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Russia, Moscow
Contact:

Re: Obsolete work?

Post by Nixer »

Smiley wrote:
Nixer wrote:ReactOS focuses on implementing of Win32/64 APIs.
Have you ever run reactos? What you say is completely wrong.

WINE focuses on implementing of Win32/64 APIs
Reactos focuses on creating a brand new os that will work in the same way and look like windows
Wine has not all APIs needed for all applications to work, other Wine APIs need rework (ReactOS now cannot run even all what Wine can). Wine also does not contain driver APIs. And ReactOS is intended to run Wine. Yes, I run reactos.
Jawmht
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:37 am

Re: Obsolete work?

Post by Jawmht »

Nixer wrote:Indeed, even Windows becomes more close to UNIX. Vista provides a UNIX-like shell with commands like "ls" instead of "dir", it borrows many features from MacOS X and Linux. Windows 8 will have a UNIX-like kernel.
Yeah, its called "Windows Services for UNIX".
FlyingIsFun1217
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:56 am

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

If ReactOS is just trying to copy windows, it will still be venerable in the same ways that windows is, right?

Why can't it just take a midway agreement, implimenting a UNIX structure using Windows components. Grant you, it would be more work than just reverse engineering and recreating stuff, but it's been shown to be more security-oriented.

FlyingIsFun1217
oiaohm
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:40 am

Post by oiaohm »

Nixer. Wine and Reactos are different beasts.

Sorry to say Wine does have some driver API's just not all. Since copy protection uses drivers.

Core of OS is critical. Wine has a Linux core and a Emulated NT kernel for some drivers.

Reactos is not really running Wine. Using wine parts yes. Stablity and function of the Kernel is a big factor to running applications. Wine does not really have that ISSUE. Since its sitting on a establish kernel.

Note Reactos does not use any of wines 16 bit code. Reactos is 32 bit only so of course it will run less.

FlyingIsFun1217 Reactos is not just dumb coping. React X is being designed on windows 2000 because its more secure than XP direct X. Yes some flaws could be the same. Alot will not be. Reactos is basically taken the best bits of Windows design and trying to leave the trash out.
Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Post by Z98 »

FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:Why can't it just take a midway agreement, implimenting a UNIX structure using Windows components. Grant you, it would be more work than just reverse engineering and recreating stuff, but it's been shown to be more security-oriented.
If you wanted to run Windows on a UNIX structured OS, just use Linux with WINE. The developers of ROS are working on it because they don't want to follow the UNIX design. It's always been easy for Linux/UNIX proponents to declare their so-called superiority (even though they're still getting their butts kicked in the desktop market) because they've only had to compete against MS. Let's see what happens when an OS following the NT design and one that made proper decisions regarding implementation starts competing.
Nixer
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Russia, Moscow
Contact:

Post by Nixer »

oiaohm wrote:Note Reactos does not use any of wines 16 bit code. Reactos is 32 bit only so of course it will run less.
This is a pity! Really. Why not? ROS will be less Windows-compatible than UNIX?
oiaohm
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:40 am

Post by oiaohm »

Simple realy Nixer Win16 is a different subsystem and Win32 is the main subsystem. Win16 in Reactos is exactly like Wine's Dos support. No coder steping forward to do it. And there are more important things to do.

You don't buy Win16 applications any more. All are Win32. So win32 support is far more critical.

Some win32 and Win64 bit code will be share able as well. Win16 code really does not share anything directly with win32.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Semrush [Bot] and 3 guests