A 100% original/official icon theme for ReactOS?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

The purpose of a camera icon is to make something which can be recognizable as a camera in a small icon, not necessarily needing to be a prosumer or slr. Whatever is more useful at small sizes, which I think would be a point-and-shoot without flash.

About the My Computer icon, I think it should be made like my screen with a keyboard (basically a couple perspective rectangles below several dots to indicate keys). Kind of like in the Human icon set I see in Ubuntu.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

ROSFan, your drawing style is degenerating. Your latest icons have been less than inspired. I also agree with artguy10 that a camera icon doesn't need to be a DSLR; although I do want to make both a silver point-and-shoot camera icon and a black prosumer camera icon, for the purpose of RAW images and maybe for use in a USB connection wizard. I'm not entirely sure on the details, but I vaguely recall Microsoft having done a similar thing.
It compiles, let's ship it!
ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

[a crackbrained question deleted]

I'll try to make something new next days. Hopefully it will be better.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Message boxes.

mf, please give me your feedback before I upload any to the wiki.

[ external image ]
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Those on the bottom row look great, artguy. I'm just a bit unsatisfied with the shadows, they're too big/strong to boot, and I don't know why you gave the error icon a 3D shadow but the other ones a flat shadow. Either give them all a 3D shadow or give them all a flat shadow.
eXile

Post by eXile »

I agree, the bottom row is (in my opinion) the best. Nice to see that you picked up my idea with the shape of the information icon, your adaption looks good.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

I like the error cross on the second row better. I think the last row is too glossy...
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Good work artguy! the last row is the best imo, I agree with mf, a consistent shadow for all of them would be better.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I'm aware of the different shadows, that's why I asked for feedback (like which shadow is preferable). I kind of like the 3D shadow, but since it's kind of difficult to get good 3D shadows with the other shapes (especially the quote box), I think I'll stick with the background shadow.

Yes, I know the shadows are strong. That is because when made smaller, they are less noticeable. But perhaps they are indeed a little too strong, so I'll fix it.

About the error one, I also like the middle row one a little better than the glass one, but if you want them to all have the same theme, the glass one is nice as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll add a "?" message box icon similar to the info icon and go with the glass style.
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Artguy bear in mind that an ico file should have inside icons of several sizes, 16x16, 32x32, etc. so it'd be enough to adapt the big one for the specific size once resized imho.
I love this icons (personal opinion), http://www.iconaholic.com/downloads.html
Maybe they are of inspiration.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Okay. Please give feedback once more:

[ external image ]
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

I like the extra depth on the last two icons, but I don't like the cartoonish stroke that you've added around them. The shadow under the glyph is nice, but position the z-index of the glyph under the highlight (so that depth-wise, the glyph is "inside" the glass).
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

mf wrote:position the z-index of the glyph under the highlight (so that depth-wise, the glyph is "inside" the glass).
For clarification...
Do you mean to put the shadow behind the highlight (and remove the stroke)?

And also, should I keep or remove the glass highlight at the bottom spike of the quote icons?

Here is what I uploaded to the wiki, tell me if it's fine or needs modification. SVG source is linked on the wiki.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

artguy10 wrote:For clarification...
Do you mean to put the shadow behind the highlight (and remove the stroke)?
Yes.
artguy10 wrote:If I do this, then should I upload the warning, error, and new question and info icons to the wiki?
Your call, that wiki page is not endorsed by the developers.
artguy10 wrote:And also, should I keep or remove the glass highlight at the bottom spike of the quote icons?
Keep it, it adds extra depth.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Your call, that wiki page is not endorsed by the developers.
That's fine. You are free to use my icons, and you can move any over to the icon set page if you want, if you think it's good enough.