blue screens

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bastetfurry

Post by bastetfurry »

GvG wrote:
bastetfurry wrote:Hmm, would it be possible to retrive mouse input at ring zero?
Yes, in fact, mouse input is normally handled/translated to messages by the kernel component win32k.sys. The problem is that when you get a BSOD, your system is sick, something must be very wrong otherwise you wouldn't have gotten that BSOD. Retrieving mouse input actually excercises a lot of the kernel, so that wouldn't be a very good idea when the kernel is sick.
Dont know how it exactly did it, but there was a programm fron "uncle norton" that could prevent crashes. Couldnt there be something similiar in ROS?
Maybee a "healing" routine for the kernel that gets called when something wents wrong.
We want to be windows compatible, that dosnt mean we cant enhance it ;)
--
Wir sind kein Mensch und keine Katze.
Wir sind wer wir sind.
Wir sind die Kinder des Zwielichtes.
Wir sind Bastet.
Toxigenicpoem

Post by Toxigenicpoem »

Inserting a message of "To correct this error, please turn off your pc, and turn it back on. If problem persists, then inspect hardware, or please be referred to the ROS forums".

I hear too many times from Windows users, what they should do when they get a BSOD. It would be nice to put an explanation on there, since we are shooting for a target market of fed up Windows users.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

toxigenicpoem wrote:Inserting a message of "To correct this error, please turn off your pc, and turn it back on. If problem persists, then inspect hardware, or please be referred to the ROS forums".

I hear too many times from Windows users, what they should do when they get a BSOD. It would be nice to put an explanation on there, since we are shooting for a target market of fed up Windows users.
Yes, those IRQ_DEVICE_LESS_EQUAL (or other such nonsense, i can't remember the way the actual error is stated) would be better served as saying something like: IRQ_DEVICE failure! You probably have a bad driver and/or hardware device. Tho those debugging types may want the memory addresses and contents of memory ... maybe auto-flush to a .log file?

:-/
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Toxigenicpoem

Post by Toxigenicpoem »

An auto flush log would be nice, but tedious to contstantly review for 1-2 errors.. I dont see why both couldn't be included, the lamens terms first

"Oh no I died because of a bad driver (memory output address, and debugging info etc)"
richard

Post by richard »

mabye a mock up gui with the words "please hard reset your computer"
in a window.
you could also enclude a system proess that auto detects a crash before
it happens, saves a copy of ram into a file on the hard disk, and data could be recovered by another program that can be downloaded from the site! :D :D :) [/img]
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

toxigenicpoem wrote:An auto flush log would be nice, but tedious to contstantly review for 1-2 errors.. I dont see why both couldn't be included, the lamens terms first

"Oh no I died because of a bad driver (memory output address, and debugging info etc)"
You can get a flush of memory in windows and you can disable it if you don't want to have it.
niteice

Post by niteice »

Floyd wrote:
toxigenicpoem wrote:Inserting a message of "To correct this error, please turn off your pc, and turn it back on. If problem persists, then inspect hardware, or please be referred to the ROS forums".

Yes, those IRQ_DEVICE_LESS_EQUAL (or other such nonsense, i can't remember the way the actual error is stated) would be better served as saying something like: IRQ_DEVICE failure! You probably have a bad driver and/or hardware device. Tho those debugging types may want the memory addresses and contents of memory ... maybe auto-flush to a .log file?

:-/
Or...display something like what you have (plain English and a helpful solution), and "Press R to view a more detailed report" which would bring up an NT-style bluescreen.
LOst

Post by LOst »

I have never been a big fan of the NT stop screen. it got a little bit better when it used BOOTVID.DLL for scrolling, but still it's way to bad designed. no word-wrapping, and no nice layout.

I'm willing to work on a Windows 9X blue screen, because I like the SHELL Messagebox much better. however I can't find a way to switch to mode 3 without using interrupt 10h ;.;
If someone is willing to help me on this, I can do a pretty good job!

Also, the bast way for a customer is to get info on how to avoid getting the blue screen again. This is not good to tell by using text on the stop screen as it is in XP. It's confusing. Instead you need one development bug screen for advanced stuff, and one nice screen telling you what happened in a calmly way (do NOT PANIC!!!!) XD

I will be happy to develop standards!

EDIT: Also, please remember that it is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. IRQL, not IRQ.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

You do realise when XP is restarted it will give the user information on the crash that occured? I think that is the best way, cause then you can link to websites and saving the info. In the blue screen, then you have to start finding pen and paper and know where to start when you start the system.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Phalanx wrote:You do realise when XP is restarted it will give the user information on the crash that occured? I think that is the best way, cause then you can link to websites and saving the info. In the blue screen, then you have to start finding pen and paper and know where to start when you start the system.
Who says that you can't provide this information both on the error screen and after the system has been restarted?
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

LOst wrote:I have never been a big fan of the NT stop screen. it got a little bit better when it used BOOTVID.DLL for scrolling, but still it's way to bad designed. no word-wrapping, and no nice layout.

I'm willing to work on a Windows 9X blue screen, because I like the SHELL Messagebox much better. however I can't find a way to switch to mode 3 without using interrupt 10h ;.;
If someone is willing to help me on this, I can do a pretty good job!

Also, the bast way for a customer is to get info on how to avoid getting the blue screen again. This is not good to tell by using text on the stop screen as it is in XP. It's confusing. Instead you need one development bug screen for advanced stuff, and one nice screen telling you what happened in a calmly way (do NOT PANIC!!!!) XD

I will be happy to develop standards!

EDIT: Also, please remember that it is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. IRQL, not IRQ.

If you really want to nit-pick I have a list from support.microsoft.com of the STOP errors. However, you'd be totally missing the point of the post (and the fact that I stated I don't recall the actual error; but I do, in fact, remember getting an IRQ_ error before, this was for NT4, as I remember the time I spent trying to fix the problem).

But that aside, I do think the words DON'T PANIC should be displayed in large, friendly letters.

EDIT: after a quick search on Dogpile the actual error is:
Error STOP 0x000000<some_hex_number> IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL; so yes NT4 it is, in fact, IRQ; if you presume Win2000 and later, then yes, it is IRQL, but do not correct me when I know what I'm talking about.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Floyd wrote:But that aside, I do think the words DON'T PANIC should be displayed in large, friendly letters.
Read "The hichhikers guide to the galaxy" to much?
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Jaix wrote:
Floyd wrote:But that aside, I do think the words DON'T PANIC should be displayed in large, friendly letters.
I don't know if you can read tHHGttG too much. But i have read all the books, several times, watched the BBC mini-series several times and have the BBC radio broadcasts in MP3 format--so yes, i am a fan. I hope they don't screw up the movie too badly.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Floyd wrote:
Jaix wrote:
I don't know if you can read tHHGttG too much. But i have read all the books, several times, watched the BBC mini-series several times and have the BBC radio broadcasts in MP3 format--so yes, i am a fan. I hope they don't screw up the movie too badly.
I thought I recogniced the starement form there...
antikristian

my suggestions would be

Post by antikristian »

Do not use religious references, you'll only have to remove them later (this includes "omg"). Also, I think the bsod (or pink screen? green screen?) should contain the line "we meant for this to happen, really" or something like that:)