Gui coding

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

VonGodric

Gui coding

Post by VonGodric »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum -and ReactOS looks great.

I have a question though, not directly related to ROS, but:

I'm very interested in GUI programming (I mean actual widgets, windowing engine and this kind of things) But I can't find any usuable information about the matter. Maybe you guys know some good tutorial or a book or smth on the matter?
LOst

Re: Gui coding

Post by LOst »

VonGodric wrote:Hello,

I'm new to this forum -and ReactOS looks great.

I have a question though, not directly related to ROS, but:

I'm very interested in GUI programming (I mean actual widgets, windowing engine and this kind of things) But I can't find any usuable information about the matter. Maybe you guys know some good tutorial or a book or smth on the matter?
Oh, the Windowing system on Windows is called USER. Or USER32 when running Win32 Sub System.
It's message-based, meaning that all interactions with the user will go through a message queue. Sending masseges, and having them in a queue is good for handling both on multi tasking GUI's and non-multi-tasking GUI's.
The window itself contains of a Device Context, which is managed by the GDI (Graphics Device interface). The Device Context, or simply called DC is a drawing area for global bitmaps. Bitmaps that will work independent on hardware.
There are two types of Windows... The Parent Window that can be closed with ALT+F4 (the big minus system icon), and the Child Window that can be closed with CTRL+F4 (the small minus system icon). There are also pop-up Windows but they are mostly based on Parent Window structure.

One of my dreams are to do a Window system myself. But I also want to help out with ReactOS.
VonGodric

Post by VonGodric »

Tnx for the replay,

but it's not exactly what I'm searcing for. What I mean is how to actually code the gui system (my pathetic attemp here: http://www.hot.ee/freebasic/wizgui01.rar)

tnx
LOst

Post by LOst »

VonGodric wrote:Tnx for the replay,

but it's not exactly what I'm searcing for. What I mean is how to actually code the gui system (my pathetic attemp here: http://www.hot.ee/freebasic/wizgui01.rar)

tnx
I don't have all the SDL libraries to test it. But I know what you mean. I only know the window managing on a non-multi-tasking level. If you want to know how it is done in Windows NT, with threads and crazy things like that, I can't help you.

So, do you want to do some kind of a windows system?
VonGodric

Post by VonGodric »

No multitasking...

Just more simple windowing and gui control system to use in games for example. More for fun and learning porpuse.

you can get dll's here: www.hot.ee/wizgui/dll.rar
azeemarif

Post by azeemarif »

why don't have a look at

http://www.microwindows.org/

it is good for learning internals of a windowing system. You can study the code of microwindows as it is Open Source.