Should I be able to do anything?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ironorr

Should I be able to do anything?

Post by ironorr »

Hey Guys,

I know this is a really early build in alpha stage, so I'm wondering if it's normal that I can't do anything other than tool around in the menus. I can't change any settings, can't read CDs, can't access the internet... nothing.

I'm running it in Qemu in Ubuntu Linux on a pretty new PC. I'm thinking that the basic drivers that come with ReactOS at this stage are too old for all my hardware. And since it won't read CDs I can't install my own drivers. It's a Dell XPS400 that I bought less than a year ago.

Anyways, I think what you're doing it awesome, and I'm really looking forward to the Beta release. I have absolutely no interest in paying for Windows just so I can run it in Qemu from Linux! Keep up the good work.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Something sounds strange, here. Would you mind posting up what command line you use to start QEMU?
More ReactOS, please!
ironorr

Post by ironorr »

I'm not positive, I'm not at home at the moment. I remember that I was using the exact command suggested in the Readme file that comes with the download that has ReactOS preinstalled in Qemu. I can post it once I get home.

Also, I just realized that I think the only file that I extracted from the download was ReactOS.vmdk because I thought that was the only necessary file to run it. Do I need to extract everything in the downloaded file?
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

You got the VMWare package, I believe. Download either the "QEMU with ReactOS bundled" package on the downloads page, or get QEMU, the ROS cd, and type in this command line: qemu -L . -m 64 -hda (whatever virtual hard drive image you have) -cdrom (path to ReactOS.iso)/reactos.iso -boot d -net user . Once ROS is installed, remove the -cdrom and -boot directives.
More ReactOS, please!
ironorr

Post by ironorr »

The package I downloaded was definitely the "QEMU with ReactOS bundled" package (I downloaded it again and got the same result). I tried using the .iso to do my own install onto a .img create with Qemu, but got even worse results. It looks like when I used to use Safe Mode in Win98, and it runs extremely slowly.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

When did we begin having a .vmdk instead of a .img in the QEMU -ros package? QEMU is not the fastest, so that may explain the "Safe Mode". You might try more memory, though?
More ReactOS, please!
ironorr

Post by ironorr »

Well, I actually gave put in -m 512, so I would hope memory isn't the issue. By the way, when I installed it and got to the part for setting up video drivers, I did "automatic" and it said it couldn't find any drivers. That's when it went into "Safe Mode". For the record, when I used the .vdmk one with Qemu it ran much better, and the colors were all correct. I just couldn't really do anything.
FSX

Post by FSX »

Uhh... that's not really the developers' focus yet.
ironorr

Post by ironorr »

So, are you saying that it's normal for this build for me to not be able to do anything at all?
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

ironorr wrote:So, are you saying that it's normal for this build for me to not be able to do anything at all?
You should be able to do at least this: see ReactOS 0.3.3 screenshots

Some things work some don't.. If you have downloaded the preloaded package with qemu just extract all files into some folder and run the boot.bat (included in the package) and go through the install process. You don't have to care about failed VGA driver installation. The default driver will be used instead.
ironorr

Post by ironorr »

Ok, I think I got it working. I run into tons of errors trying to get anything to work, but it's an alpha so I can't complain. hehe. I think it might have something to do with running it in Qemu. This is the first OS I've ever tried using Qemu with.

Incidentally, does ReactOS play well with Linux installs? In other words, can I install ReactOS on an NFTS/FAT32 partition and dual boot with Linux, or will it try to take over the hard drive and delete Linux when I install it, the way XP does?
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

It needs the first drive/partition Fat32/FAT and bootable, if you have NTFS, ReactOS will not like your drive. Of course, what you run in QEMU is emulated to be compatible, not all PC drivers will work anyway.
More ReactOS, please!
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I think some people have go duel booting reactos and other OSes but I don't think it will be easy, there would be a lot of manual bootloader setup, probably worse than what windows should do to your setup.

Reactos is not much use for anything at the moment, you can try a few programs and might fine on that works OK but most things won't work properly if at all. If things go according to schedule, this should dramatically change in the next year or two.