GRUB Error 17

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ejunknj

GRUB Error 17

Post by ejunknj »

After installing ReactOS 0.3.1, which seems to go fine, it asks to remove all disks and CDs which I do. It then restarts and pops up:

GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

I looked around to fined what this is but can't seem to get a real answer. Is there something wrong with my install or is it something else? Thanks for the help.

geertvdijk

Re: GRUB Error 17

Post by geertvdijk »

ejunknj wrote:After installing ReactOS 0.3.1, which seems to go fine, it asks to remove all disks and CDs which I do. It then restarts and pops up:

GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

I looked around to fined what this is but can't seem to get a real answer. Is there something wrong with my install or is it something else? Thanks for the help.
It seems that your MBR is still pointing to GRUB, and GRUB is still somewhere on your harddisk or something, I'm not an expert on that :oops:
But I guess the installer didn't write the bootsector/loader, did you choose to write to the MBR while installing?
-graey-

ejunknj

Post by ejunknj »

Yes I did it once with it installed, which did not work. Then I formated again and installed os with out boot and still got the same error.

InFeRnODeMoN

Post by InFeRnODeMoN »

You seem to have wiped out the GRUB host OS and not have installed FreeLdr. This will leave GRUB in the MBR, which wants to find its files, but fails, because you deleted them.

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

I say try to reinstall ROS once again, install everything ROS asks you, and then, if it still doesn't work, file a bug in bugzilla, with a decent list of your hardware, and the version of ROS you used... :D
O, and before filing a but it might be good to try a SVN iso, but I'm no wizard in that, so someone else should help you there ^^
-graey-

Robert Simandl

Post by Robert Simandl »

I'm having this exact same error when trying to start the ReactOS that I've installed.

This PC previously had a Linux distro on it. Might that have something to do with it?

Thanks from a ReactOS newbie!

rursus

Post by rursus »

InFeRnODeMoN wrote:You seem to have wiped out the GRUB host OS and not have installed FreeLdr. This will leave GRUB in the MBR, which wants to find its files, but fails, because you deleted them.
InFeRnODeMoN writes correct. Want to clarify some:

Don't know exactly how BootCD installs FreeLoader in general, but I installed on a GRUB system where the menu.1st file was preserved. After a long hesitation, believing I was going to overwrite GRUB, I installed FreeLoader in MBR, acc2 installation options. However - FreeLoader was installed on C:, and GRUB kept - so everything worked fine. The sens moral is that the BootCD preserves GRUB in HD boot sector (MBR??), but while I kept menu.1st for GRUB to read, you lost it by destroying the sector where it resided. GRUB became very very confused.
(Rursus said that)

aicommander
Developer

Post by aicommander »

I had the same problem when I blew away linux. I used Active@ Kill Disk to wipe the whole hard drive then reran ROS setup and it worked.

Active@ Kill Disk (Get the bootable DOS only verson)
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

PS: It will take a while.

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Boot with a win98se disk, type fdisk /mbr, you're done, install reactos.

pckid

Re: GRUB Error 17

Post by pckid »

I am trying what aicommander said to do and will post back!