ReactOS and VB

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

binky

ReactOS and VB

Post by binky »

Does ROS support VB (specifically vb6)?
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

I think, it will function. But it's better, you make a test or look in the software compatibility list.
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Its been worked on right now ;-)
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

VB 6 can run without IE dlls?
More ReactOS, please!
dreams

Post by dreams »

You need to install the VB runtime libraries. They can be downloaded from Microsoft's site. Most apps i tried make ReactOS crash when you click in it's window.

*edit*

I thought you meant VB apps. VB (5.0) itself doesn't run properly on my ReactOS installation.
rosuser1

Post by rosuser1 »

mayr-software

Post by mayr-software »

*curious*

How was this one made ?:

http://www.reactos.org/media/screenshot ... _vb_01.png

Seems it *was* (*long time ago*) working before 0.3.0 ...

Or is this screenshot a fake ?
dreams

Post by dreams »

Good question! Who made that shot?
Jaix
Moderator Team

Not the same OS anymoore.

Post by Jaix »

ReactOS versions 0.2.9 and prior to that are so very different to the recent versions due to the heavy rewrite of the kernel plus many many more key components of the OS, many hacks is removed and replaced by real implementations of the coresponding MS ones.

This has introduced some regressions which makes some apps that worked before not work now because they relied on a hack that is removed or something like that.

However there is so much more that should work right when all components are made to the equal level as the kernel. Thuss we will have a really much more stable product in a while then two years ago when this screenshot above, so keep hope up.
FSX

Post by FSX »

Yeash, the rewrite screwed a bunch up, but it'll be even better than before by 0.4, and maybe even 0.3.3.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Stability ahead

Post by Jaix »

FSX wrote:Yeash, the rewrite screwed a bunch up, but it'll be even better than before by 0.4, and maybe even 0.3.3.
What I've heared it that 0.3.3RC is as stable as 0.2.8 which is in my opinion the most stable releas yet, so keep up the hope for the furure.
Christoph_vW
Developer

Post by Christoph_vW »

I made the screenshot of VB. It is VB5CCE and I got it working with some extra dlls and typelibs from wine.

The problem is it needs stdole2 which I already started to import into ReactOS but our widl is too old to build it.
Haos
Test Team

Re: Stability ahead

Post by Haos »

Jaix wrote:What I've heared it that 0.3.3RC is as stable as 0.2.8 which is in my opinion the most stable releas yet, so keep up the hope for the furure.
Jaix: i tested both 0.2.8 and current trunk... there is no comparison in stability. It`s quite difficult right now to crash ROS on its own (i`m not talking about 3rd party apps). As soon as the memleak will be fixed (in shell i think) ROS will be quite ready for stability tests, like 24/7 mirc session.