Can you add some more non-MS applications to roadmap???

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lhstech

Can you add some more non-MS applications to roadmap???

Post by lhstech »

...suggestion to reactos team...

...hey guys...

I only know a little about reactos and found out about it through an interview link on tuxmachines since the 0.3.0 version. What I read and the years of development put into this OS has been great. You guys have really done a great job!

While I was looking at your roadmap, I noticed that you did not include some other non-MS applications (which I believe are important) for a basic desktop environment.

This is only a suggestion, of course, but I think it would be beneficial to include application compatibility for the following to make a fully functional basic user desktop in the roadmap list. Just to give users something to look forward too even if you place it way off in the future.

1. office suite => Openoffice 2.x (and any other version of OO)

2. web browser => Firefox 2.x

(here are some others that I use to build a basic desktop environment on Windows XP)

3. flash player => Adobe flash player

4. pdf reader => Adobe reader

5. dvd player => VideoLAN VLC media player

6. cd\dvd burner => Infrarecorder

7. antivirus => Avira Antivir

8. spyware => Windows Defender

9. alternate media player => quicktime

10. alternate music player => itunes

The second part of the list is to show a basic desktop thats usable on windows xp. I think that is where reactos would like to head in the future so that is why I am making this suggestion. This list is made just to suggest btw and not to start a flamewar on which applications should be listed. (note: if you have really good programs you would like to list then by all means list them too).

It took me a long time to find all free software above (i have a lot of others as well) to build a basic desktop for XP. Infrarecorder was the last piece since cdburnerxp pro is still not out of beta in the 5+ years I have been tracking it. I have been testing Infrarecorder for about a year now.

Just a quick note on some of the above as well. I am aware of mplayer...i just prefer VLC. I use avira since avast is a resource hog and freeavg does not have home networking use in their license. Defender might be the hard one since you have to have updates. I never tried to find out if there is a manual way to update.

Anyway, that is a basic desktop starter list for you guys. I think whether you use the above list or something else (again fill free to list your own programs if you like) that it would be beneficial to add a basic desktop program list to the roadmap...especially openoffice and firefox.

I hope that you guys take this suggestion in the spirit it was given. I really think this would excite others to see the possibility that you guys (the reactos team) already see...a fully functional desktop environment. And if you think this might be a cool idea...maybe you could have an applications poll rating the ones everyone would really like to see on the roadmap list.

Thanks for listening and your time guys...8)
lhstech

another idea as well...

Post by lhstech »

...to the reactos team...

I was just looking through the Feedback forum and I thought of another idea that can be added to the roadmap page as well. A link to "applications already working and tested." Sort of a HAL for applications working on reactos.

I know when I first read through the roadmap, I was pretty excited where I saw the reactos going in the future. The roadmap was one of the first things I look for when I see a new program/OS. I also look for screenshots. If I like what I see then I start going deeper.

I have read a few posts by haos and agree with his assessments on where reactos is going in the future. I am very excited about what I read and hope you guys will add updated applications (like in my first post) to the roadmap with an "applications already working and tested" list. Just in case any one else (besides me) just stops at the roadmap page then they will have a really good understanding of what is coming up and what already works in the application arena.

...good luck and great work guys...
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

Just a note, that instead of Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader (which is bloated all to hell), you might check out Gnash (not really Win32 ready yet, but give it a bit) and Sumatra PDF. For antivirus, there's ClamWin. All these programs I suggested are open source and do their jobs well. And you might stay away from Quicktime and iTunes. VLC player can play pretty much everything Quicktime can, and iTunes is only worth it if you want to buy DRM riddled music.
lhstech

hey Sirmatto

Post by lhstech »

I agree with you about bloat. The king of bloat to me in the windows world is Nero though (1 GB install for a burning software...sheesh). hmmm...or maybe nortons...8)

I am familiar with gnash flash player but I have never heard of sumatra pdf (btw...if anyone else has some other open source/gpled/or just plain free programs that they know of then please list them).

Still the reason I listed those others is (despite the bloat) that non-techie peeps will want to run what they are used to using in an os. As I search the forum (i'm still just on feedback btw), I see that is the reason for reactos from some posters.

...and those programs are free...as in...the end user does not hand over cash for them.

btw...thanks for the post sirmatto...I'm glad you told me what you thought....8)

I hope others will stop by and also list additional programs...I will keep checking in for any one else's ideas...thanks...8)
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

There are two non opensource applications that I really like ... GOM player and QIP. They are freeware so its ok to use them freely. GOM especially is very useful because includes all necessary video and audio codecs and looks better than VLC (personal opinion :wink: ).
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

no 3rd party apps will be part of reactos.
Reactos will be a base with which end users install their own prefered software.
This will be done in a fashion similar to debian apt-get but it will be a full graphical interface for users to select and install all their favorite software from.
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

Ged wrote:no 3rd party apps will be part of reactos.
Reactos will be a base with which end users install their own prefered software.
This will be done in a fashion similar to debian apt-get but it will be a full graphical interface for users to select and install all their favorite software from.
And this is the right way if u ask me.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

As you could see on screenshots, some of those apps were already working on ROS, like OpenOffice writer/calc. Those tend to give us less trouble, making them run on ROS, than MS apps, which are generally, more integrated with OS, thus harder to make them run. We didn`t forget about them, and you can be sure that those will be runable on ROS sooner, than Ms apps.

Regarding the apps list: every expert has his own.

For example mine:
1. Ms Office 2003
2. opera
3. Adobe flash player
4. Foxit Pdf reader
5. Media player classic (VLC only only in emergency, Subedit Player to play with subtitles)
5a. Combined Community Codec Pack
6. Nero
7. Nod32
8. Lavasoft Ad-aware+Spybot
9. Quicktime and Real Alternate
10. Foobar2000

Not all of those are free, but i find them best suiting my needs and often recommend those. Someone else will have other list.

The recommended soft list, as Ged presented it, will be a good (and quite enough) solution to recommend some worthy, alternate apps to future ROS users.
lhstech

Post by lhstech »

@bot_ev...hey thanks for the 2 programs...i have never heard of either of them and i checked out the gom player yesterday. It looks very nice...i cant wait to play around with it. Thanks for listing them...8)
lhstech

Post by lhstech »

@ged...hmmm...i really dont know what you mean. My post was about the roadmap (on the website) being updated with a future compatilibilty list not a list of application integration with ros. According to your own list...you have several 3rd party apps on their now.

For the 0.5 beta, you list AIM and yahoo messenger (winamp in 0.4 alpha) and i know they are not ms apps...lol. Since you list those...i just thought it would be nice to list other apps like openoffice (i.e. an office suite besides ms office...which is listed in 0.5 beta) or firefox (i.e. a browser that is not ms ie 6 or 7...which is listed in 0.7 beta). Again, it doesn't have to be those, after all there is opera, thinkoffice, wordperfect, etc.

I just thought that since you already list 3rd party apps...it would be nice to include some more. For myself, I dont even use any messenger but i do build a lot of pc's for many people. They can not afford ms apps given the expense...but they DO want to be legal in their license. So i just thought it would be cool to list those other useful basic desktop apps on the roadmap just as an info tool.

Still...it is your website and OS...yesterday is the first time I really took a look at it so i hope you take this as just a suggestion from someone who came along for the first time. Personally, I really like what you guys have done.

Also, I dont know if you meant by the apt-get solution that it would be something like synaptic packet manager. If you did mean that then you guys will have a really HOT os. spm and adept (being the default pm) is what made me switch and use linux distros like ubuntu and pclos. If you use something like that you will already have mind share for sure.

Anyway...thanks for posting your thoughts ged. Just looking at what you guys have done is unbelievable. And i want you to know that even though i am new here...i really appreciate what you and your team has done. thanks...8)
Last edited by lhstech on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhstech

Post by lhstech »

@haos...yes as i said i checked out the screenshot page and the roadmap. What i saw did not give me versions (well except at the bottom...there is OO 1.1.4). And as you can see from my posts...i did not make a list to say my list can beat up your list. I am quite aware everyone has their own list...lol.

That is why i clarified what i said in my second post. It would be nice (as an info tool only) to say whether firefox (an example only...i can see opera in your list) or openoffice works now (hence the "applications already working and tested" suggestion) or will work (say put on the roadmap at 0.5 beta that Openoffice 2.2.1 will be compatible just like ms office 2k3 and 3rd party app AIM is on there right now...or if not then...then place it at 0.9 beta or something).

That's all i was suggesting. I don't see where it would require a lot of work to add programs to the roadmap (since that is just typing). An "already working and tested" application page would take a little setting up i imagine. But the main work to what i suggest is agreeing on what apps. That would be the devs choice of course (or if they opened up in a poll or something).

I only suggested firefox and openoffice because they have millions of users but there could be others that would help make ros more popular if people knew ros could run it (a particular popular application that is not so well known as firefox, ms office, openoffice, AIM, etc...hmmm...like audacity for example).

All i am saying is i have seen your posts and others on the team talk about ros's future and that is what a roadmap is about. A roadmap shows the world where you are going and (hopefully) to get others excited to join your vision. I cant remember how many times i read yesterday how the ros team is made up of a few devs that have to do A TON of work on their own time compared to linux distros coders and ms coders (both being company financed...for some linux anyway).

BUT they are doing an AWESOME job.

Roadmaps get people excited to not only see but join your vision. I dont see where what i am suggesting would...1) hurt anything 2) cause a lot of work 3) not help but get others excited about different apps (again it doesnt have to be free apps or my list either) they can use on your great os. After all, to the end user an OS is just an engine to run their own apps (whatever they like). And the screenshot page (while great) doesn't give enough info about the programs that can run. This is just to give more info to the end user...thats all.

Still...as a first time visitor I told you guys what i saw would help you get some more info (and only info...nothing to do with even touching the os) to people who would like to use what you guys made so great. I hope that the suggestion is taken in that spirit as well.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts haos...i hope i clarified what i was trying to say...8)
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

lhstech wrote:@ged...hmmm...i really dont know what you mean. My post was about the roadmap (on the website) being updated with a future compatilibilty list not a list of application integration with ros. According to your own list...you have several 3rd party apps on their now.
Ahh, your title is misleading
"Can you add some more non-MS application compatability goals to roadmap???" would have been what you wanted.

As for this question, there's more to a roadmap than application compatibility. Don't worry about compatibility, most apps should be running by 0.5
lhstech

Post by lhstech »

@ged...thanks for answering...i am sorry i was unclear in what i was trying to say...8)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Do not double or triple post. Edit your post if no one else has responded.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Sorry mate, but it requires a manpower that we dont currently have. Testing if apps work with ROS requires time and tester, that are often lacked in general ROS regression seeking, testing and bugseeking.

This is where community should step in. The wiki-based compatibility database is already in place, we just need a bit more stable ROS and quite a lot wiki tidying up to start gathering the informations.